Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd and 5th gear problems!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd and 5th gear problems!

Hi guys, i have a 1989 Nissan 240SX with a LS1 swapped into it. The tranny and motor were picked up as a whole and dropped into the car. Because of fitment issues, I cannot reach the bleed screw on the transmission, instead i have been vacuum bleeding from the wilwood master cylinder I am using. here is my problem though : when cold the car shifts fine, but after a bit of driving, the car doesnt go into 3rd or 5th gear, which doesnt make any sense at all. Could this be a hydraulic issue still? or could there be something wrong with the clutch / tranny? Thanks for the space.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

out of a vette? dont they have something that skips shifts?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Teching In

the motor and tranny came out of a 01 ws6
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's only 3rd and 5th then it's probably the synchros. If it still goes into reverse fine then the clutch is probably not your problem. Make sure the shifter is making it's full travel. Could it be hitting the floor?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

it wouldnt go into first either if it was hiting the floor,

if you come to a stop and shut it off will it go into 3rd or 5th, after its hot?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
If it's only 3rd and 5th then it's probably the synchros. If it still goes into reverse fine then the clutch is probably not your problem. Make sure the shifter is making it's full travel. Could it be hitting the floor?
I could see if the sychros were bad, and the car didnt shift, however when the car is cold it shifts fine? Also arent 3rd and 5th on a entirely different gear column all together? Could BOTH the synchros on 3-4 and 5-6 be bad? At first I thought it was a hydro problem but that doesnt explain the other gears engaging either. I am almost sure that its a tranny / clutch problem, anyone else have this kind of problem?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LUMPY85
it wouldnt go into first either if it was hiting the floor,

if you come to a stop and shut it off will it go into 3rd or 5th, after its hot?
If I come to a stop and shut it off it will go into 3rd and 5th just fine and will move with the car in gear. any more help would really be great
Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

it cant really be a clutch problem, the would effect every gear
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

you sure its just 3rd and fifth? this is what i was talking about

http://www.msperformanceonline.com/21008.html

its just one i found doing a search, sorry if there is a sponsoring vendor looking at this, hehe
Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

I had problems grinding with 1,2,3,4, reverse (didn't try 5/6) when I first got my swap running... was sure I had clutch problems. Turns out I had broken 3-4 slider keys, a bent 3-4 fork, and the 1-2 slider keys had fallen out.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shifter doesnt have stops does it? I had a problem with my 6th gear popping out because my shifter stops were too close.

Have you tried double clutching (going to nuetral letting out clutch pushing it back in then going to 3rd of 5th)? Have you tried RPM matching (reving the engine up to the rpm the engine would be in in that gear at the speed) this will work without ever even stepping the clutch in on any transmission ever made.

As for the temperature operation, air expands as it gets hotter which would cause clutch operation to be affect at different temperatures. My LT1 has this same problem only an LT1 system cannot be bled. it's almost impossible for me to get it into reverse at times.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhenomJay
I could see if the sychros were bad, and the car didnt shift, however when the car is cold it shifts fine? Also arent 3rd and 5th on a entirely different gear column all together? Could BOTH the synchros on 3-4 and 5-6 be bad? At first I thought it was a hydro problem but that doesnt explain the other gears engaging either. I am almost sure that its a tranny / clutch problem, anyone else have this kind of problem?
Your blocker rings could be worn and the teeth on 3rd and 5th could be worn down as a result. I was just throwing out the shifter hitting something because it's a swap and anything is possible. The temp of the fluid could affect how quickly the blocker ring cones slow down the gears to line them up. The only way to really know is to disassemble the trans. It just doesn't sound like a clutch problem if it's only 3rd and 5th.

Quick Reply: 3rd and 5th gear problems!