Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 in a 1971 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't tried. I'll do so once I get the F-body pan back. I'm currently swapping to coilovers on the front while I wait for it to get done. It actually doesn't look much bigger than my TH350, although it is considerably longer. I read that the 80e requires some massaging in the A-body, so I just assumed it would be the same in my X. 68Nova said he had no trouble, so I'm optimistic. I'll get some pics when it does go in.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Update: I pulled the radiator core support off the front yesterday. I'm going to pull the subframe and do some serious work. The body mount bushings are deteriorated, and there's some rust and heavy grime in places. It looks pretty bad, and what better time to clean it up? The engine is apart and ready for the machine shop.

I'm planning to stip and powdercoat the subframe, inner fenders, and radiator support. I'm also going to design and fab up new chromoly upper and lower control arms (again - may as well since it's apart). This way I can FINALLY be done with my front suspension (unless I go rack & pinion down the road). I'm also going to upgrade the steering box while it's apart.

The nice thing about rebuilding the front is that I can easily install the engine and trans to check fitment with the steering/suspension components, then slide the assembly under the car when I'm done. Of course, this is going to blow my $5k budget out of the water, but I want to get this done right. 38 years and probably hundreds of thousands of miles haven't treated the car well. I'll update with some pics as I get stuff out, and esp. when the a-arms are finished.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 03-10-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea...sure hope I can do this to my 2 trucks when it's time to swap in the two gen lll motors.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Lookin good. When I got my car back from the autobody shop I just wanted to "clean things up a little" and ended up doing a complete frame off, changing out everything. It was a good decision though.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GuySmiley
Lookin good. When I got my car back from the autobody shop I just wanted to "clean things up a little" and ended up doing a complete frame off, changing out everything. It was a good decision though.
It always is

Maybe one day I'll have enough garage space and time do "decide" that as well
Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

good job I'll keep a eye on your thread for some info..
Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Nice build. I think you might have found one of the dirtiest LQ4s out there. That thing looked foul when you were tearing it down.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

ya. the thing was pretty nasty. it took a lot of time in the wash rack at work to get all the dirt and grime off the accessories and covers. on the plus side, i'm getting pretty mean with scotch-brite and pipe cleaners. i'm just glad i've got access to all this stuff, plus media blasters for the heavy stuff.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Truly a very beautiful car. But I am very partial and bias to Novas!

Last edited by Chevy-art; 02-04-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

I got the subframe and core support back from the powdercoaters yesterday - they look awesome. The front sheetmetal is also off the car. The A-arms still aren't finished - I'm going to get them powdercoated grey to match the QA1s. Here's some before-and-after shots.

Frame:

Radiator support (the brackets underneath got powdercoated too):

Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice man, crap now I am seriously considering doing this.

Man these projects really can snowball out of control haha.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good! Now you've got me re-thinking the 79 z28 and my plans to do a simple on frame restoration.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Hmm.. that reminds me of my '72 about a year ago. I am just now trying to figure out the LQ4 swap. Once I had it apart I replaced all the suspension and brakes. It took a lot more time than expected.

Now it is going together with the LQ4 and a Richmond Gear 5 speed.

You are about 3 steps ahead with the motor. Mine was only the motor, no throttle body, no pcm or wiring harness and no accessories. It is a pain in the *** to find that stuff separated out around here.

I will be watching your progress closely.

Here are some quick shots of mine.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Four bolts, that's all it takes to pull the subframe. I took the entire front end off (after the engine and tranny were out) in a couple hours. Do it...

mikem, that thing is sick! What wheel studs are you running on the rear? I've got an 8.5" 10-bolt, but I haven't pulled my old studs yet - they're too short for my new Centerlines, and tech didn't like that at the track.

I'm going to need to buy an intake et al. to use with the L92 heads. But the wiring harness, despite being a virtual rat's nest right now, does help.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Teching In

The rear wheel studs are what Strange put in the axles when I requested the "long" stud. I think they are between 2.75 and 3." They look badass but are a pain when trying to spin a tire on quickly.

Now that I know the truck intake will work I am going to call Speartech to see about a wiring harness/ecm package. Hopefully it won't break the bank. Then I need to find a F-body oil pan and have it modded, so I can set it in the bay.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikem77
I am going to call Speartech to see about a wiring harness/ecm package. Hopefully it won't break the bank.
Nahhh....Just build the harness yourself. It's time consuming but relatively easy if you know which wires to pull out. Mating it with the Nova's bulkhead style harness is super straight-forward.

Speartech's harnesses run about $600, I think. The other option is to send it to wait4me performance to have him modify the stocker. Either way you choose, it's pretty easy work.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Teching In

The problem with building it myself is that I don't have a stock harness or PCM/ECM. It is not that I don't think I could undertake the task.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikem77
The problem with building it myself is that I don't have a stock harness or PCM/ECM. It is not that I don't think I could undertake the task.
Are you near Janesville or Hustisford by chance? If so, check out LKQ. They've got everything you need right there. If they don't have it, the can ship it from another location.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

suscribed
Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Update: we should be finishing the a-arms tonight, then i'll shoot 'em off to the powder coaters. My welder's been busy, so they've been sitting for a while. I'll post some pics soon.

I'm going to start the fuel system while I wait for the a-arms. I've already got a corvette-style filter/regulator. I just need to run some line and get an electric fuel pump. My fuel cell has -8 AN fittings. Any advice on fittings I need to mate the 'vette regulator to AN hose, and everything else I need?

Quick Reply: LQ4 in a 1971 Nova