Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has run a carbureted LS4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who has run a carbureted LS4?

From what i understand an LS4 after 2006 runs a 58x reluctor wheel. It runs an LS2 camshaft so that leads me me to believe that an MSD 6012 box will work and at worst i will have to swap to ls1 coils of modify the coil connector.

I know there are 4 cylinders with displacment on demand lifters. I know you can swap these out and run regular lifters to completely eleminate the DOD. I know that this engine uses the LS6/LS2 243 heads. This to me means that a Victor JR intake will fit. I know there is a differnt lifter valley cover on the engine with a vac port in the center but i dont see it interfering with the Victor JR intake.

So my question is, what could possibly stop an LS4 from working with a Victor JR/ MSD 6012 carburetor setup? Only flaws i can see are that maybe the cam shaft sensor is different. Or maybe the connectors are different which doesnt seem too likely to me.

In my mind, i can run an LS4 carbureted. I know they cannot run rear wheel drive because they run the V6 bolt pattern. I know that this bolt pattern is the same behind the 3800 camaro engines. Which means i could bolt that tranmission up. But i also know that the LS4 has no starter provision in the block.

So the real question is who can think of any reason that an MSD 6012 ignition box wont work on an ls4 or a victor JR intake?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after a couple horus research ive confirmed the LS4 does have a 58x crank and 4x which means the MSD 6012 will directly bolt in.

I have also been reading and determined that the displacement on demad feature is defaulted off. The oil control solenoids require voltage to open and thus supply oil pressure to reactivate the lifters. This means i will not need to remove the DOD lifters, atleast not at first in order to get the engine running. Really the only thing im undercertain of is the coil pack connectors. I'm pretty sure GM used the same connectors for both the LS2 and LS4 crank and cam sensors being it would be unreasonable to manufacture a different part to do the same thing, and im pretty sure the coil packs will have the same connectors as well.

As far as i and all of my reasearch are concerned the LS4 is directly MSD 6012 compatible. Once i get the engine here i will begine removing all of the unnecessary parts and seeing if there are any other potential problems.

Quick Reply: Who has run a carbureted LS4?