Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into 95 Mercedes SL600 R129 body

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets put another shrimp on the barbee!!!!

man that guy on the benzo forum is an *******!

lol

props for doing something different. if we were all the same this would be a boring *** world
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not surprised by the narrow minded comments from those Benz guys, one of our members did an LS1 swap on his 190E a while back with the same responses. Any W140 MB from 90 to 96 ain't worth **** cus of the electrical problems they have. The drive trains are awesome but what good are they if they don't run electrically. This is a cool swap and the fact that your throwing boost into the mix makes even cooler dude.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job on the exhaust!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by CMcCarthy
I just read the MB world thread. You should remind that douchebag Chris that he's a 27 year old student mooching off his parents, which disqualifies him from any conversations referring to money or depreciation. When he gets a job and buys his own stuff, then he can talk.
I don't live with, or off of, my parents. Or even in the same City. I love how people read all this crap into the fact that I got talked into spending new years with them.

I dropped out of school at 20, worked as a handyman and got my real estate license, did that for awhile, then bought a pile of investment properties in a not-so-nice neighborhood that I fixed up and sold off, and since then have been putting myself through undergrad and now law school.

Everything I have is mine and I paid for it.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by frojoe
Can you PLEASE shut a couple of those Benz-forum people up by explaining to them how easy it is to get silly NA power out of a 6.0L engine with just a few simple bolt-ons.

This "Chriswufgator" guy just doesn't seem to get it, and it's pissing me off.
My only point was, he's not getting this done for less than the $4k he would have invested in fixing the original motor. He paid something for the van motor, or at least for the van it came from, right? Then you've got parts needed for the swap. That right there would eat up a lot of that $4k, and you haven't even gotten going yet. By the time you add a blower and get it tuned you're probably already in the red, and have a lotta stuff left to do...

The point was never that it can't be done. Just like that video I posted with the retarded turbine in the minivan, if you have enough time and money you can do anything. I just don't get the economic sense, which was what he said made him do the swap. He absolutely swears this is cheaper than fixing the benz motor...

So if you guys say it's possible, then I'm dying to hear an explanation of how this particular LQ4 is going to make 750+ crank hp (to equal the 600rwhp the OP says he's going to get) when everybody else who's modded an LQ4 has maxed out at 500-550 after throwing on the same blower and minor mods the OP is talking about. I'm also dying to hear how it can all be done for <$4k like he says.

Additionally, the definition of "bolt on" is kind of different when the motor is crammed into a tiny car that it was never designed for. So where is he going to get headers then? Oh wait...that's right...they'll have to be custom...so there goes another $2k+. Remember, he's not just saying it can be done, he's trying to tell me it's cheaper than fixing the other motor. That's the part I have the problem with.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by dogger
he just seems on rated hp. hate to tell him my 300 crank hp put's down 280 rwhp pretty much stock. his knowledge of the motors just comes from magazines and pretty much it.
I've modded cars I've owned. I work on the 427's in my boat, and rebuilt the 327's in my old boat, myself. I've had american cars before, and I'm not putting anybody down.

I also know what it takes to go from 300hp at the crank to 600hp+ at the wheels, and no offense but he's got a snowball's chance in hell of doing it at all, let alone for under $4k, which is the part I got arguing with him about. And your point of his motor being underrated is a drop in the bucket. That accounts for what? 20hp? He's talking about getting an extra 450hp out of a 300hp motor. For under $4k...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:00 AM

And just so we're all on the same page...these are what I got into it with him over:

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Actually 320WHP is not the goal, 600WHP is.
and,

I believe that I can do this for less than the repair cost of the M120, and have some fun while I am doing it.
If I'm wrong I'll admit I've been a d!ck to him and let it drop...but I don't think I am wrong. So yeah, then let's hear it...if I'm such a mooching magazine-racing douchebag and don't know what I'm talking about, then I'd love to hear an explanation of how he's going to get 600rwhp out of a 300hp LQ4 for <$4k. Parts list please...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was trying to buy a 2001 CL600 off ebay a few weeks back that had a blown motor to install a big cubic LSx engine into... Man your '95 here is gonna be bad ***! Out perform the stock V12...be lighter... and sound better! and get better mileage too! can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

lPease show me on this thread where I said I can make 600WHP and install the engine for less than 4K. First you say I can't get the HP level, and now you say I cant do it for less than four grand you say I stated. I am not unrealistic, but I will get the engine in there and running for less than $4,000. It will have more RWHP in NA form than a stock M120.

Never have I once stated that I could make 600RWHP and install the engine for less than $4,000. Please pay attention to your ramblings
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you two take this off the forum (go PM) and let us get back to reading about the build?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:13 AM

lPease show me on this thread where I said I can make 600WHP and install the engine for less than 4K. First you say I can't get the HP level, and now you say I cant do it for less than four grand you say I stated. I am not unrealistic, but I will get the engine in there and running for less than $4,000. It will have more RWHP in NA form than a stock M120.

Never have I once stated that I could make 600RWHP and install the engine for less than $4,000. Please pay attention to your ramblings
Did you not read my post #27 above in this thread???

I already went ahead and posted your comments from your thread at BenzWorld for you, because I kinda thought you might start trying to backpedal (and I was right), and so I figured "let's head that one off at the pass..."

Your comments are contained in post #39 on your thread on BenzWorld. Or here, I've even been a good sport and highlighted them for you, bring back any memories? http://www.benzworld.org/forums/3250676-post71.html

There are some other little funny gems in there too, like how you're going to have the fastest one in the world, but I'll leave those for another time. Right now, I'm still absolutely dyin' to hear how you're going do this engine swap and then get 550 or 600whp out of it for the $4k would cost to fix the original motor, like you said.

Or, if you'd like to just go ahead and admit that it isn't gonna happen, then of course you're welcome to do that too and I'll drop it, since that was my point from the beginning. Otherwise, I continue to call B.S. on your claims of 600whp, or even 550whp, out of this motor with just bolt-ons (some of which won't even work for this application anyway), and let alone for less than the cost of fixing the original motor like you said.

Or better yet, even explain how you're going to get 600 horesepower at the wheels out of an LQ4 that's 300hp at the crank, for under $4k. Just the blower, tuning, and dyno time would wind up costing a good chunk of that amount, and then you're still looking at custom headers, and right there you're already over the cost you are claiming, and you're still nowhere close to being done.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by philntx
Why don't you two take this off the forum (go PM) and let us get back to reading about the build?
I'd be content with that, except everybody's over here saying what an azzhole and a moocher and a douchebag I am for doubting this guy's ridiculous claims.

I mean, wtf? If I came over to this forum and told you guys how I was going to build out a reliable 750hp LQ4 from scratch for <$4k, you'd ask what the hell I was smoking. So this guy comes over to the other forum and makes all these claims, and how he's gonna have the fastest sl in the world, and it's gonna be cheaper than fixing the original setup, and now I want to hear how he thinks he's gonna do it.

Let's let him back up his claims.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Other people have gone down this road with cdk4219 and it never turned out well for them

He will get the car done for his budget and make the power that he is actually claiming; then he will add a turbo and make 600 whp
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChriswUFgator
And just so we're all on the same page...these are what I got into it with him over:

and,

If I'm wrong I'll admit I've been a d!ck to him and let it drop...but I don't think I am wrong. So yeah, then let's hear it...if I'm such a mooching magazine-racing douchebag and don't know what I'm talking about, then I'd love to hear an explanation of how he's going to get 600rwhp out of a 300hp LQ4 for <$4k. Parts list please...

Dude quit chopping up the original thread and posting different parts to make it look like he said he would do it all for 4k. Here is what the original thread says:

Actually 320WHP is not the goal, 600WHP is. It should do 350WHP normally aspirated, and close to 550 wheel at 10psi (damn all that from an astro van motor). I agree if only looking for near stock HP numbers , then mechanical throttle bodies, and aftermarket ecu may be the way to go. I didnt find any that would successfully control two distributors and throttle bodies (I may not have researched long enough)

He never stated that he would make 750hp for under 4k. He was talking about getting the motor swapped in and running N/A for way under 4k.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

blah, way to much reading. This is like watching womans basketball.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by linn.35
Dude quit chopping up the original thread and posting different parts to make it look like he said he would do it all for 4k. Here is what the original thread says:

Actually 320WHP is not the goal, 600WHP is. It should do 350WHP normally aspirated, and close to 550 wheel at 10psi (damn all that from an astro van motor). I agree if only looking for near stock HP numbers , then mechanical throttle bodies, and aftermarket ecu may be the way to go. I didnt find any that would successfully control two distributors and throttle bodies (I may not have researched long enough)

He never stated that he would make 750hp for under 4k. He was talking about getting the motor swapped in and running N/A for way under 4k.
I posted the link to his entire post, so I'm hardly twisting anybody's words. Re-read his post, man, he thinks he going to get 600whp for less than the cost of fixing the benz motor, which is $4k.

He's using an automatic tranny, so now back 18%+ driveline loss out of that 600whp figure, and what do you get? 720-750 at the crank, depending on what loss figure you go with.

So yeah, this is exactly what he's claiming in his posts. He said it a bunch of times, in other posts too. Re-read his thread.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
blah, way to much reading. This is like watching womans basketball.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by rao
Other people have gone down this road with cdk4219 and it never turned out well for them

He will get the car done for his budget and make the power that he is actually claiming; then he will add a turbo and make 600 whp
Unless he got the motor for free, and then also gets every part he needs for free, then I don't see how he's ever going make that power on that budget.

And if he pulls that off, then he's gonna be my new best friend since I'd love to know where people give away custom headers, free blowers, free cams...

No way this is happening for the budget he's claiming.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet swap, i work on mercedes for a living and the 129s are nice cars but that v-12 engine is a piece of crap. it will definitely be a more reliable and cheaper to work on.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Notice how you conveniently cut this part of his post out...yet I'm the one whose "chopping" up his posts? Please...

What I am interested in is having a car that I can Daily drive, that gets more than 15MPG, and is the quickest R129 in the states, maybe the world. I believe that I can do this for less than the repair cost of the M120, and have some fun while I am doing it. .
Oh ya?

I certainly could have fixed the M120, but had no real interest in spending that kind of money for getting the car "just running",thats no fun. And again, please do some research on the attainable HP of a forced induction generation 3 chevrolet V8 before making more silly statements. 550WHP is quite easily attainable...
Forged internals, are not needed in this application. Above 600 WHP they are recommended, and will give you more room for error in the tune. The rods' weak link are the bolts, and the crank is good to much more than I am expecting. I do not expect this engine to last 100,000 miles at this level, but I have one that has 20,000 hard miles on it and a crank pulling (tight supercharger belt) Procharger on it without problems.
Actually 320WHP is not the goal, 600WHP is
550 wheel at 10psi (damn all that from an astro van motor)
B.S., man. Read what he actually wrote, but that you cut out. He's saying he's going to have the fastest sl in the world, how he doesn't need forged internals because he's only going to 600whp, how it's gonna be less than the cost of repairing the benz motor, yada, yada, yada.

He said what he said, it's all there in black and white.

Quick Reply: LQ4 into 95 Mercedes SL600 R129 body