Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 73 nova project, 6.0 LQ9/4L70E please help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll get some dimensions of the lift plate. i wrote 'em down, but i don't know where I put 'em. It cost $15 for the two 1/4" steel plates - I can't believe those are going for upwards of $60.

To save yourself some trouble, I'd pull the subframe and front sheetmetal. It will only take a couple hours, but it will save you some serious headaches in the long run. That's what I did on my '71 - in fact, I just got the subframe and radiator support back from the powdercoaters today. But this way you can trial-fit the engine/trans to make sure everything fits properly. Plus you can clean stuff up while you're at it. Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Better yet, do what I did: take measurements off your valley cover. I stenciled an outline and poked holes in a piece of cardboard, using the valley cover as a template. I then trial-fit this to the engine to make sure it worked (even bolted down).

I made the vertical piece about 3-4” shorter in length by about 3” tall. I then located the centerline and drilled a 2” hole, with a hole on either side for three total. Pretty simple, just a little time-consuming to drill thirteen holes through ¼” steel.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 72VenturaII
I believe the top picture is the clamshell frame mount and the stamped steel clamshell bolts to the motor. The bottom is the '72 and earlier motor mount (or at least one of them). Either system should leave the motor in the same place when all the correct parts are bolted together.
Good call and makes sense, I didn't pay any attention to why there's 4 holes in a rectangular pattern as opposed to 3 holes in triangular pattern. I guess then the motor mount is just rigid stamped steel?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So will the motor mounts shown in the second picture bolt up to the clamshell mounts? or will you have to use another motor mount bolted to the frame Clamshell mount?

I was thinking of using the 68-72 frame mounts (probably Short and Wide) coupled with the Energy Suspension motor mounts (with adapter plate to the LS1) with my 73 since the subframe didn't change dramatically during those years afa I can tell with pictures of other cars.

-Joey
Originally Posted by frojoe
The the valley lift plate design work has already been figured out for us! Check https://ls1tech.com/forums/10804758-post15.html out, maybe just PM hookemdevils22 and get the dimensions from him, I might do that when I get around to making it, but can't say exactly when that'll be.

The '73+ mount is the "clamshell" type and looks like this:

and the '72-earlier mount (this one being short & wide) looks like this:

From the looks of it, the bolt that goes through either mount and then bolts onto the frame mounts would likely be held closer to the block with the clamshell mounts, thus lowering the engine, but I'm not positive on this since my car didn't come with clamshell mounts!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

68-74 novas share the same subframe (as do 67-69 f-bodies).
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Project Nova
So will the motor mounts shown in the second picture bolt up to the clamshell mounts? or will you have to use another motor mount bolted to the frame Clamshell mount?
All these motor mount come in two parts, the motor side and the subframe side. Both bolt together with a single horizontal bolt per side/per pair of subrame/motor mounts.

On the '72 and earlier ones, the dampened side is the mount in the 2nd picture and bolts to the motor and a rigid stamped steel bracket mounts to the frame, and a horizontal bolt going through both connects the two.

For the clamshell mounts, the dampened mount bolts to the subframe (shown in 1st pic) and then the stamped steel counterpart bolts to the motor block, again both connected together with single horizontal bolt.

From my recollection, on my car (using '72 and earlier mounts) the stamped steel frame brackets look significantly taller than those '73-up clamshell mounts. It may be possible to use both different types seeing as they technically mate in the same fashion, but I highly doubt things will fit properly to allow the horizontal bolt holes to line up.

And yes, you plan of plate adapters and energy susp. mounts will work, that's the setup I have right now.

Quick Reply: my 73 nova project, 6.0 LQ9/4L70E please help...