Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt a 4L60E to an LS6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bolt a 4L60E to an LS6?

OK, I don't know how to do this and need some guidance. This is going into the FrankenBenz, my '87 560SEC.

Here's what I know, and what I need help with:
The Flex Plate is marked "Side toward Engine" and I have the six bolts to put it on the crank. What is the recommended torque for these six bolts?

The torque converter is supposed to be slid into the tranny (ALL the way in) then the tranny can be slid onto the engine. What lines up the tranny with the engine? With the flex plate bolting to the flat end of the crank, I don't see anything that aligns the tranny to the engine crank or some tube/shaft to slide the tranny onto. Or are those two big (5/8") alignment pins on the back of the block enough to keep everything straight??

What are the torque settings for the three bolts into the torque converter?

I don't see any washers or gaskets that need to be used. Do I pre-fill the torque converter with tranny fluid or is that done to the whole system later??

Can you tell me the torque values for the bell housing bolts? I'm planning on keeping the oil pan bolts finger tight until the tranny is on the engine, then tighten the pan to tranny bolts, then tighten the pan to engine bolts.

Or is there a nice definitive set of instructions somewhere that I can download??

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok those 6 bolts can be torque in a semi-star patter. I dont know the torque specs but i just crank them down to about 80ftlb or so it feels like. I use RED threadlocker for these bolts.

The torque converter i fill about half way up and slide it in the transmission. The converter will line up with the holes on the flex plate once its bolted to the block. I would use blue thread locker on the converter bolts. These should be torqued to 44ftlb but i dont know about getting a torque wrench in there.

Transmisison to block bolts are 37Ft LB. You can really get a torque wrench to many of them in most cases. They arent that important. Those two dowels are all the lines them up yes.

There are no gaskets.

I dont know about the oil pan bolts, i thought they were only on manual transmissions? I havent ever worked on an auto ls1. If its any consolation most after market pans dont even have provisions for transmission bolts in their pans. Mine Moroso doesnt.

Last edited by Shawn MacAnanny; 02-26-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the fabulous answer! I'm going to get started on this Friday (tomorrow) and should have the engine/tranny in the Mercedes this weekend.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About time! Can't wait to see it!

Pat
Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help - I thought this was going to be a difficult thing to do but it went very easily! The hardest part was the realization that I couldn't find the six bolts that put the flex plate on the crank, going out to buy six more, then finding the six I'd bought a year ago when I was cleaning up. Note to self - don't put the crank bolts in the torque converter box, under the plastic packing material.

I used a plastic motor and empty 700R4 shell for fitup and when I dropped in the real units, it was close to perfect . I need to widen the tunnel 1/2" at the rear of the pan and the neutral safety switch connectors are right up against the front of the tunnel so there's some whittling that will have to happen there. The motor mounts are off by 1/16" but I believe the poly in the TinMan mounts will take up the slack.

Anyway, thanks Shawn for the help and Pat for the encouragement.
Attached Thumbnails bolt a 4L60E to an LS6?-engine-tranny-2a.jpg  

Quick Reply: bolt a 4L60E to an LS6?