Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD LSX powered skyline Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD LSX powered skyline Possible?

Does anyone think this could be done ive been thinking bout it and i think it would be so badass and a **** you to all those import guys ive seen skylines for sale from austrilla (sorry if i spelled that wrong) for not to much and i was thinking this would be a badass one of a kind car that could be amazing all around on the street, drag strip, and auto cross! just wanted to know what everyone else thought of this.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Of course. Anything is possible with enough money and fabrication skill.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Possible? Sure, its just money. There would be a lot of fabrication involved but it would be pretty cool, if not road legal. If you want to drive a R32-R34 on the street you're better off getting a Motorex car, though you're going to pay 40K-70K depending on model and mods. if you just buy one from down under and have it shipped over, its not going to be road legal. As far as keeping the AWD the RB25/26 front diff is actually integrated into the oil pan. If you look on eBay for either you'll see what I mean. It may be possible using a Syclone, Typhoon or Bravada t-case and clocking it the opposite way. An LS1 powered AWD Skyline would be a beast, an expensive beast, but a beast.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:21 PM
8 Second Club

lookup a holden transfer case and oilpan/diff assembly, should make the swap much easier

mmmmmmm, 427 awd twinturbo skyline ,,,,,, yummy
Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car alone will cost 40k+
Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Plus the only company that was legally importing skylines (motorex) has been out of business for quite a while.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

skylines are decently cheap if you get the r32. i remember a friend trying to get one. you have to find an auction site in europe or japan and also an importer. the cars go for about 8k +3 k shipping but there not remotley street legal. if u get a jdm car there dirt cheap. the economy taxes and fees towards older cars is so shity its sometimes better to buy a new car than keeping your old one
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I kno it would be expensive as hell i was thinking of how awsome it would be and maybe one day ill have my twin turbo awd 427 that would be sick!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Launching!

What about taking the running gear from an AWD TBSS?

Tails
Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 AM
Teching In

If I were gonna do a LSx swap into a Skyline I'd start with a Kaizo Industries unibody...

http://www.kaizoindustries.com/
Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

motorex has beenout of business since..forever.

you can get skylines super cheap, if you don't know what you're talking about please don't spread misinformation across the internet. skylines only cost 40k if you're an idiot who doesn't know how to use the internet and a cell phone. true story.

its also way easy to import them if they don't have a motor/transmission.

with that said, and judging by your e-persona, lack of ability to spell australia, it'd be safe to assume you aren't employed to a status that would arrive you at a net income of more than $30k/year, you would lack the ability to use the internet+cell phone in conjunction to resourcefully find a good deal on a chassis, and i'd bet you're self-reportedly pretty handy with a MIG or a stick welder.

so in the end for you, the answer of a properly executed AWD lsx powered skyline with a manual transmission setup (I'm assuming you'd want a manual since auto would be stupid easy) is definately out of the question for you.

for future reference on a streetcar this'd be hard, if it was a track only application where you would'nt mind cutting up the floorboards/transmission tunnel/tube framing some things it really wouldn't be *that* hard.

was this post a bit more than it needed to be? probably. was the OP topic absolutely horrid and the internet would be a better place without people making threads like this? probably.

Rule of thumb. If you have to ask a forum if somethings possible, youprobably lack the ability to do it. Now if you're asking HOW on the other hand, more power to you.

Example, How do I build a xxx with a LSx engine in it without breaking a TON of stuff and custom fabbing anything, any good shortcuts?

to which we'd answer well since you can for the most part swap all skyline stuff/240 stuff/z stuff, import a awd skyline as a parts car, and get ready to have a hell of a lot of fun with the oiling system, and getting the front drive wheels power. heres how you can do it.....
Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
motorex has beenout of business since..forever.

you can get skylines super cheap, if you don't know what you're talking about please don't spread misinformation across the internet. skylines only cost 40k if you're an idiot who doesn't know how to use the internet and a cell phone. true story.
Yeah, but you can still find cars imported by Motorex for sale.
How cheap is "super cheap" and would it be street legal?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

calm down killer :O)
Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Wow.. thats like.. umm..

Wanting to take a Supra and put the LSx in the trunk, and have it turned backwards and run the front wheels with a rear diff but make it AWD......

Just put a boost controller on a damn skyline and youre pushing way more hp and tq than your run of the mill LS motor is going to make, with exceptions to LS7/9...

Save your breath, time, money, everything.. leave the RB in there.. just sounds kind of like a downgrade to me. Even though I do jerkin my gerkin to the LS gods every now and then..

There is my proof of the LS loving nature, no RB here.. but I still say leave the RB in said skyline.. its a no brainer.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I'm in the process of building one, will be awhile though as I have other things on the go. I did mock up the LS1 replica block I have to the R32 GTR transmission, I also found a transmission adapter. I had the RB AWD oil pan under the LS1 engine, not impossible but will require a fair bit of fabrication.

Car is currently stripped out for a LHD conversion and a full roll cage. Going to be a track car, and may end up with the RB26DETT when completed, engine choice will be one of the last decisions, LSx being preferred mainly because it's not a boat anchor out in front of the car.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

good luck bro...must be nice to be rich
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would be very intresting. you could mount the front diff in the sump. like the Syclones (i think) do. be nice if you couild keep the Skyline drivetrain however....the gearboxes are pretty dam strong.....

There was a company over here (UK) that put a skyline engine into a TVR Cerbra....!! nuts to say the least.

Chris.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to ebay.uk and look for skylines, then have it shipped over here. you could be into one for about $6,000 running and driving.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Go to ebay.uk and look for skylines, then have it shipped over here. you could be into one for about $6,000 running and driving.
no, there is a lot more to it than that - they can and will be seized at port by customs.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default illegal

what makes this Jap super cars illegal? .

left hand drive?

or the giant fuel injectors emmisions related?

BTW I've sean Skylines (I don't know the year) driven on the streets of Atlanta. we were side by side at the red light nice clear road he did'nt want any of the WS6.

I say wait for a Nissan GTR this would be a doable LSX AWD swap.

Quick Reply: AWD LSX powered skyline Possible?