Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanks S13 LS2/T56 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah they are....and while I am not into an arguement on here over brand names and such. I dont go by what internet hype says about products. I go by personal knowledge. And I personally know 3 drifters and one auto-x racer who race their cars about every weekend who run these. They have no issues with them and for the price. Replacing them evry season and a half doesnt hurt so much cause they were tearing up Tein and Stance in the SAME amount of time but having to drop 2 to 3 times the money into them. The arms will be modded but will be taken care of as with all parts....I just bought the parts as a base. But I will make sure they are sound. Cheaper to drop $5 in steel and welding wire then $1000 on parts that arent much better. I am an engineer, I crunch stress and weaknesses daily. So dont worry about quality. Its just a start.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Teching In

I've heard good things about the coils. I may even get a set myself instead of the Megans I was planning on getting if I can modify them to work with the 300ZX aluminum uprights. I've seen some really janky suspension arms being sold on Ebay though. Which ones are they?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those are the Godspeed suspension also. The pillow bars and the RUCA's are nice. IMHOP just as well as the others I have seen. The tension rods...they can use some gussets, but besides that....im down with them. The coils are nice...they are the type-rs. I was gonna spring for the new hyper-rs...cause the new ones they just shipped over have the height adjustment independant of the spring adj. but couldnt see a difference big enough to care after talking to tech about the difference between the hyper and the reg rs. Only real difference is color and the type of oil used. The new hypers use a 1kg higher rated spring also. but again in reality not much difference. The quality of welds on the coils is what everyone complains about...well these are as good or better than the quality or welds on parts ive taken off this car and thrown away haha
Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOw.......I'll be tuned in on this as well!!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got the car all moved back to my garage at my house. Its crammed in there with my S10. I got it all stripped back down and started on sanding and grinding it back to bare metal to start the body work. Got alot of parts ready to go out for powder coat and such. Suspension just needs to be tore back off and readied. Gotta pull all the ball joints and such. And all the bushings. Slow steps but hey its going.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

the problem with those cheap arms isnt always the crappy metal and bad welding.

the joints tend to be garbage and get play in them after about 3 hours.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the heim joints are poor quality on the cheap arms off eBay or whatever. Some people get the cheap arms, chuck the heim joints, and buy nice heim joints to put in the arms.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats exactly what I am doing...chucking the cheap hiem joints cause i have good ones laying around my shop here at the house. But other than that.....all is well. Body work is coming along slow but sure....got about 1/2 the front sanded down and readied. long way to go
Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got a little more done. Knocked out the rusty bottom core support so I can start to rebuild it back up. Got most of the engine bay stripped and just covered with some primer to stop flash rust now. Getting ready to hit the inner fenders and the front core support. Then its rebuilding time of the crossmemember and then some Lizard Skin for the front and bottom of the car. Heres a few crappy cell phone shots I got of it last night.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not much on updates. Got the rest of the front end sanded down and hit with primer, ready for the Lizard Skin now. I also took some time to burn out all the rubber bushings and ready all the suspension pieces for Powdercoating. Will be black for the engine crossmember and the rear subframe. Silver for everything else. The brakes will be painted to match the car when I get there. Which will be the Burnt Orange like from the Corvettes. Other than that, I am rebuilding a bolt in front lower support. Really just alot of small things....
Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

its been a while now but here are some updates.

Got all the suspension back from Powder Coating. Got it all Satin Black

Then got the new front x-member welded in

Got the whole car in 2 coats of Lizard Skin Sound deadener and Ceramic.

All sanded down and taped up ready to shoot some primer

Then hit it with some HOK Primer

Then I got the whole front clip and undercariage in Eastwood Ceramic Chassis Black

And for the end of the pics i got the front suspension back on

I also got the rear subframe back up in it, just havent taken any pics as of yet. Will get on that tonight or tomorrow
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks sick man, good work! I like that primer color
Old 09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

HAHA yeah I told my wife I am thinking of finding a color close to the color of the primer...cause its kinda growing on me. But eh we will see....
Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

talk about full out restoration! Lookin good! whens the engine droppin in?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Looks great. I must say I was surprised to see that you did not convert to 5-lug while it was all apart. Should be a sick car though.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh the 5 lug is sitting in boxes along with all the 300zx brakes. Just dont want to put on that until I have my rims and all the paint and bodywork done. Dont wanna ruin all the shiny new parts with loads of dust haha. As far as when the motor goes in....well depends on how long it takes my lazy *** to get the rest of the body work done haha

Last edited by Jhankinson; 10-01-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got 90% of the rear suspension back on. Somehow I forgot the one little arm when i sent everything to powdercoat so I have to wait to get it back before i can finish. But heres most of it.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks good.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great progress on this one. I think I spy a Cobalt air compressor in the background. 60 gallon I assume? How do you like it?
If you don't mind me asking, what spray gun are you using?
I plan on a full restore like what you are doing with a 2nd gen rx7 hopefully starting this spring and love the work you've done on this 240sx so far.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes that is my SUPER DEAL Kobalt 60gal compressor. I got it at a yard sale about 6 months ago now...brand new still wrapped up in plastic with all the accessories still in the sealed factory bag for $150. I love it. Its just enough for anything you can throw at it...but small enough to tuck neatly in its place. As for the spray gun...for the primer I am using the Devilbiss Startingline. but when it comes to the sealer and paint/CC I will be using a GTi. but for primer the Startingline is ok, cause ya gotta block sand it anyways.

Quick Reply: Hanks S13 LS2/T56 build