Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Wreck (LS1 6-Speed Fiero)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was going to get the LS1 motor tomorrow, but I ran into a problem. Left front rotor on my truck separated in two today. It's a 1997 Chevy K3500 dually. Anyone ever do rotors on a dually? It's NOT easy, nor is it fun at all. Nor is it cheap. I'm out $400, 8 hours of work, and it STILL isn't done. They don't come off like conventional ones do.

The procedure is as follows (as it should be written):
1. Remove 8 lug nut caps to pull the center cap off.
2. Remove 8 lug nuts to pull the wheel off.
3. Remove 8 more lug nuts that are almost impossible to get to to pull the wheel spacer off.
4. Remove 2 caliper mounting bolts.
5. Remove axle nut.
6. Remove 6 axle bolts attached to front diff.
7. Remove axle & set aside.... no wait.... you can't do that without taking the spindle out. So instead, just jimmy it out of the way and probably crack a boot.
8. Remove 4 bolts to pull the hub off.
9. Pound out the 8 studs holding in the rotor. In the process, the old ones will break or otherwise become mangled, so buy new ones afterwards.
10. Drive to 6 different part stores trying to find 8 new studs & nuts for the ones you just destroyed.
11. Find out that the world is out of nuts & bolts.
12. Sell truck.

Here it is:
1997 K3500 454 Vortec - 6" lift, 35" tires, HyperTech tune, K&N FIPK, 75000 miles, and a bunch of problems. But it does come with a full tank of gas:

Come get it in October. $7500.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Despite all my truck problems, I did end up picking up an LS1 motor today. Got it home and in the garage.

Last edited by NonGoggleGuy; 05-27-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a nice truck. Doesn't sound too difficult to me, however, I've worked on larger rigs where replacing a front drum is more like $1000 and 8hrs of experienced labor!

When it comes to fixing aging vehicles, it seems I always have a black cloud over my head!! Bolts will break and parts will be MIA and come tomorrow, I will have to find another way to get to work because the 1/2hr maintenance job turned into 4hrs and am still not complete!!

Hahah...congrats on scoring the LS!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still trying to decide on an exterior color/paint code so I can start powdercoating parts. The color i want is a deep, deep red-orange. Not SOM or HOM, but more like Mitsubishi's paint used on the Eclipse that's almost orange, but not. Once I decide on that, I have to order the V8 kit from Archie & trial-fit the powertrain. Kind of a drawn-out process...

I got my Prothane poly bushings in today.

Last edited by NonGoggleGuy; 05-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like this thing is going to be insane.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I got all my suspension parts off & ready for powdercoating. Then re-assembly can start.

Maybe someone can help me out here:

The struts are out, and I know there's a special GM tool that you can buy for about $1.3M, but I'd like not to spend that kind of money.

They don't just "fall" out. It's not immediately obvious how to remove them. If anyone has any advice on how they did it on a similar vehicle (without GM's tool), any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

someone get this man a tool,,,, dude that Fiero will be a screamer, what years did Pontiac make them? What body were they called? F,G,C, BODY, I think i was in the 7th grade, anyway im all growed up now and driving a slick *** F/Hawk and working as a helicopter mech
Old 06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looking at your oil pan, did it come out of an f body, or somthin else
Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
looking at your oil pan, did it come out of an f body, or somthin else
It came out of a 1998 T/A. The Fiero was made from '84-'88. The engine cradle was shared with the Chevy Citation.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what was the best pkg, options on fiero? did any have a six cyl
Old 07-01-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In '84, it was only a 2.5L I4. In '85-'88, they optioned the GT or Formula, which was a 2.8L V6 that they used in the Beretta & Cavalier with a different plenum. In '88, the same engines were available, but the suspension changed on the GT model.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, I think I have all the parts out that I need to "rebuild." They are:

Front upper & lower control arms
Front spindles
Front calipers
"K" member
Miscellaneous brackets in the front end
Upper & lower radiator braces
Door & trunk pins
Coolant pipes
Rear control arms
Rear spindles
Rear calipers
Miscellaneous brackets in the rear
Engine cradle (not being done yet)
Strut tower mounts
Hood latches
Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dropped off all my parts (61 to be exact) to be sandblasted today. I also ordered $2233.32 worth of stuff from the Fiero Store - I bought the Koni full suspension, caliper rebuild kits, control arm bolts, cradle bolts, cross-drilled rotors, wheel seals & bearings, tie rods & balljoints, etc. Hopefully, it'll be everything I need to get the car rolling on 4 wheels. I may be buying my own house soon (going to look at it again today at 1:00), and the garage I'm using is about to become off-limits in September, so I need to have it at least rolling by then so I can move it to wherever it's going to be.

The sandblasting should be done by Thursday. Then I bring all the parts right down to a place local here called Ultra Coat for the powdercoating. Then on Saturday, I go to camp until the 19th. When I return, re-assembly will begin, and pictures will re-begin as well. This project is FINALLY somewhat underway.

Stay tuned.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so whats the latest and greatest info,, ****
Old 07-18-2009, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW crazy awesome build! You have some serious cash in this thing! If it could be worked out, you may as well splurge and get yourself that intake! How much power does that thing add? 8 TB's? Anyway, check out the paint in this link! I think you'll like it. What wheels are you going with? You're using the 88 gt body? Any plans like Archies rocker panels or maybe get crazy and do one of his chop tops? Lighting? or how bout the scoops from the fiero shop international? rims? Tailights? interior? PLANS!!!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

http://www.fieroshop.com.au/home.htm...&category_id=1
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
ok so whats the latest and greatest info,, ****
Okay. I just got back from vacation yesterday.

I received all my suspension parts from the Fiero Store. I had an issue with a couple, so they have to be returned / exchanged. All my other parts are at the powdercoating store. So right now, I am still awaiting the Koni suspension, rear hubs, & the powdercoated parts.

Originally Posted by evilZO6
WOW crazy awesome build! You have some serious cash in this thing! If it could be worked out, you may as well splurge and get yourself that intake! How much power does that thing add? 8 TB's? Anyway, check out the paint in this link! I think you'll like it. What wheels are you going with? You're using the 88 gt body? Any plans like Archies rocker panels or maybe get crazy and do one of his chop tops? Lighting? or how bout the scoops from the fiero shop international? rims? Tailights? interior? PLANS!!!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

http://www.fieroshop.com.au/home.htm...&category_id=1
The intake will not fit without cutting the trunk of the Fiero. The intake is 24-inches wide, and so is the engine bay... Plus, that intake really only wakes up engines above 400ci. Anything smaller than that, it's only purpose is looking pretty. That paint is kinda hard to see. Is that a Grand Am? Anything bigger? Paint code? I think SOM is WA633H. I'm using the stock body without any Archie mods besides some engine fitting parts. Tailights are staying stock and interior is staying stock besides Mr. Mike's seats and door trim, as well as a Corvette HUD.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you click on the car domain link it takes you to more pics. It says what he used, but doesnt give codes.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2781387
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey people. I got all the parts back from powdercoating. They look awesome. I had them done in bright silver & flat black. Here's some pictures:

Brake calipers

Upper & lower radiator brackets, coolant pipes, steering "K" member, & front swaybar

Cradle mounts & miscellaneous front & rear suspension brackets

LS1 valve covers, front spindles, rear spindles, & rear strut mounts

Front & rear control arms

There are a few other parts I didn't take pictures of - like the LS1 coil pack brackets, door & trunk pins, caliper "surrounds", and some other front end supports. Assembly will begin next week. I'm going to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio this weekend.

More pictures to come. I can't wait to see what it looks like together.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good keep us updated!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know. I'm well-overdue for an update. Here it is. I finally made time to get the front right together. I haven't put the sway bar or caliper on yet. The calipers are being rebuilt and the rear bolt holes on both sides of the sway bar bracket have to be re-tapped.

Here's some pictures:

The left side's going together tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Project: Wreck (LS1 6-Speed Fiero)