update?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes update please
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The left side's done for now. I still have to retap the bolt holes for the swaybar & get new steering parts so I can put my new tie rod linkages in. I think I might tackle the front brake lines, get all the calipers rebuilt, get the rear end "ready-to-build," and call it a year. I have to move the car out of the garage it's in now and into a barn for the winter. When it goes in there, I'm done with it for the year...

Here's some pics of the left side & underneath:

Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By the way, I was just at a car show - or what I thought was a car show.... it ended up being 65% Corvettes, 34% Mustangs, & a Buick Grand National. In other words, minus the GNX, and it was just your average everyday parking lot.

Anyways, I drove the Firehawk down there, and parked next to a 'Vette, which was park next to a 'Vette, which was next to 3 Mustangs, which was next to a 'Vette - I can't make this **** up.

So I started walking around and saw some old toolbox with a Lamborghini kit on his Fiero. I AM NOT a fan of any of those queer body kits. Maybe rocker panel kits, but not ones that change the whole look of the car. I figured I'd screw with him a little, because he was obviously a tool. Here's how the conversation went:

ME: So what year is this Lamborghini?
HIM: '86.
ME: I didn't know they put 6-cylinders in these? I thought they were V12s....
HIM: No... this is a Pontiac Fiero with a body kit on it.
ME: (sarcasm) Oh, really? That's awesome. I have a Fiero I'm eventually putting a 350 into.
HIM: Well, the body kit's hard enough. I didn't want to tackle the engine part. What body kit are you putting on yours?
ME: The Pontiac one that came with it... because it's a Pontiac. I mean, this thing looks cool, if you think cool is ridiculously stupid.
HIM: Thanks for stopping by.
ME: Meah.

I like aggravating below-average human beings. I also stopped by a guy with his brand new Corvette and asked him how long they've been making these "Corvettes," because I've never heard of or seen them before - and yes, I actually did use the finger quotes. He did not respond, nor was he amused.

I had fun though. Just thought I'd share.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool build
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Teching In

If you have any questions on the 6-speed part of the build, you're more than welcome to through them my way. I just installed the F40 to the 2.8 in my 86 Fiero GT. The plan is to take the LS1 out of my TA when I build the new motor and mount it to the F40. I just wanted to get half of the headache out of the way ahead of time. The only real issue I had was that Archie wants you to weld the trany mounts directly to the sub-frame, which would cause a lot of engine vibration. I opted for taking an extra long time, fabing up my own mounts and having someone weld them for me. The other issue that I had was that the right half shaft that was in the kit was to long and after getting the car together, when you took a left turn it would vibrate like hell because the suspension would load, and the half shaft would be rubbing tight on the inner house. Achie was great and ordered and shipped a new one to me free of charge. I'm thinking about picking up a 5.3 just to get the project rolling and then swapping in the LS1 later but haven't quite decided.

I look forward to seeing the remainer of the build, good luck.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is some irony in a guy who drives a Fiero making fun of Corvette owners...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
There is some irony in a guy who drives a Fiero making fun of Corvette owners...
Agreed. I was liking this tread untill I found out the owner of the Fiero was a self aborbed, closed minded, and misguided eliteist.

So sad really...I thought people got over this sort of behavior around seventeen or so. I must have to much faith in humanity.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL Yea. Prolly shouldnt throw stones when you live in a glass house. Subscription removed.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Heh, yeah, thoes uptight elitist fiero owners... Damn them all... Oh wait. I own an 88 formula now.. Whoops...

Seriously though, the build looks good so far, but dont you think you should upgrade the brakes a bit? I mean, sure you wanna go fast, but I remember the brakes on my 85 being a bit anemic... The brakes on the 88 are WAY better..

Driving a fiero is like riding a fat chick, You dont do it to be the king of the road, you do it cause it can be cheap fun... P.S. Your friends already know, and theyre laughing anyways, so just roll with it and laugh at em for being gay...

And yes, its ok to make fun of corvette owners, they should have bought a real car like a trans am or camaro and upgraded it a bit.. Saves money, its fun, and it looks better in the end.

__________________________________________________ _____

88 Fiero Formula - Stock and no cracks/separation on the interior...
2003 Ford Ranger - Shoulda bought a tow package for the fiero...
2007 Tiburon - Bought it so my wife would stay the hell out of my fiero...
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by topher455
LOL Yea. Prolly shouldnt throw stones when you live in a glass house. Subscription removed.
Wahhh ... PLEASE come back and read my posts.

Originally Posted by kirtondog23
Agreed. I was liking this tread untill I found out the owner of the Fiero was a self aborbed, closed minded, and misguided eliteist.

So sad really...I thought people got over this sort of behavior around seventeen or so. I must have to much faith in humanity.
For having an exceedingly advanced vocabulary, you spelled "absorbed" wrong... not to mention you used the word "to" in the wrong context.

Originally Posted by morndenkainen
Heh, yeah, thoes uptight elitist fiero owners... Damn them all... Oh wait. I own an 88 formula now.. Whoops...

Seriously though, the build looks good so far, but dont you think you should upgrade the brakes a bit? I mean, sure you wanna go fast, but I remember the brakes on my 85 being a bit anemic... The brakes on the 88 are WAY better..

Driving a fiero is like riding a fat chick, You dont do it to be the king of the road, you do it cause it can be cheap fun... P.S. Your friends already know, and theyre laughing anyways, so just roll with it and laugh at em for being gay...

And yes, its ok to make fun of corvette owners, they should have bought a real car like a trans am or camaro and upgraded it a bit.. Saves money, its fun, and it looks better in the end.
Yeah, I did consider the brakes, and I still may upgrade them later. For now, I want to get it together and see how it feels first. I've rebuilt all the stock calipers so I could have them powdercoated, instead of buying some outrageously priced conversion kit. I may decide that it's not enough in the future and change to a Baer or Brembo kit.

And yes, Corvettes have been ugly and unimaginative since day 1. Change the taillights... we've seen it. You're not any different than a Cobalt or a Ferrari. Too ordinary and plain-looking to me.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Launching!

And the grammar police have arrived, nor does it negate the statement. Don't get me wrong, I prefer fieros to vetts and cameros, minus the new 2010 version, when it comes to looks and really prefer the muscle car look over many of these cars, I just don't like it when others feel like they ahve to be the fashion police.

Lets all just enjoy what we like.

Last edited by kirtondog23; 09-29-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I don't drive a Fiero yet. But I'd sure as hell rather get caught pushing a Fiero than driving a 'Vette.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

what an ***
Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
I don't drive a Fiero yet. But I'd sure as hell rather get caught pushing a Fiero than driving a 'Vette.
With the excellent engineering GM put into the Fiero (and your choice in transmissions), you might just get your wish.

It's funny, there is a big list of cars I'd own before a Vette, but I don't feel the need to try to prop my choice in vehicles up by libeling others. Good luck with your build though, you're doing a nice job. Too bad on the attitude.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i will be following this
Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 PM

lol No sense of humor these days. I'll be following this build, not only because I also have a fiero project I'll be starting on, but also because I feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, I like Corvettes, but they are overrated now. And lambo body kits look awful. I've seen my dog throw up better looking things. Lol
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

hey man hows the build going? its nice to know im not one of the only pontiac fiero ownsers on here. update?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

He gave up and bought a corvette.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Build looks cool, but I don't understand how someone who drives a Pontiac of any sort can talk down to people while thinking his own ride is nice/ cool / etc. Sounds like the typical loser dork making fun of the jocks while the teacher is around. Powertrain aside firebirds aren't exactly known for quality or being status symbols anywhere outside of the Ozarks. Great for hobbies and wrenching, bad for upping your perceived social status. Nobody was amused because you aren't amusing.

Quick Reply: Project: Wreck (LS1 6-Speed Fiero)