Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch switch wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch switch wiring questions

I have a 97 sonoma with a ls1 and a t56 I have rear that it is important to have a switch hooked up to the ecm for it to determine what mode it is in.. park/nuetral or drive. my only problem is that I do not have a bcm from a fbody and the diagram shows that the clutch pedal position switch runs throught the bcm and only controls the starter solenoid. This makes sense to me but I know that there is a wire on Connecter 1 of the ecm (i think it is 32) that is a clutch pedal position signal. What does this do and how do I wire to make it work.

Thanks,
..RJ..
Old 04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

what year LS1 PCM? I think there are three circuits coming off the clutch switch in a '99. One is for the PCM, one is for the starter relay (though BCM?), and one is for cruise control. Not 100% sure on the cruise control, but I think there was a circuit for it.

I'm not running a clutch switch in mine. The PCM can do so cool stuff with the timing to smooth out the engine as you're letting out the clutch. That's the only thing I've found that I'm missing by not having a clutch switch.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm,I know of a couple of s10 ls1 t56 swaps, non ever said anything about this issue, but makes since...
Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

It is a 2000 pcm and I have never had any real issues without the switch. I have been running my swapped sonoma for a little over 5yrs but I would like to hook thus switch up to see what and how it affects my idle transitions. Does anyone know if the signal wire needs to be grounded or power and should it be energized when the clutch is up or down?

Thanks,
..RJ..
Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as I know, the CPP does have some part to do with the idle dropping when the computer sees you have pressed the clutch. It's not a real critical item, but it may or may not be that noticeable if it is there or not.
The circuit is supposed to see ground when the pedal is up (i.e. not pressed) and it is just supposed to see nothing at all when the pedal is pressed.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

So basically wire a normally closed switch with one side grounded and the other to pin 32 on the pcm. Hmm on my s10 the wire that corresponds with the cpp switch for the pcm is hot not a ground. Does anyone have a actual diagram for this?

Thanks,
..RJ..
Old 04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you are correct, the s-10 trucks use power, the camaro has power and ground on the CPP. 12V is used to disengage the cruise control, but it is a ground signal that goes to the computer.
I don't have the schematic at the moment, but that's the way it is.
Go pay the $25 at alldatadiy.com and look it up.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the one for the f-body.
Attached Thumbnails Clutch switch wiring questions-ccsw-manual-trans.gif  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I know this is an old thread... but anyone ever write a sticky on how to fix this? This WILL trigger the Service Engine Soon light, right?

Quick Reply: Clutch switch wiring questions