Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Iroc Z LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm in the midst of an lsx swap into an 89 firebird, have a quick question. i'm searching and sifting through the crap for one answer is tiring.

the car is an 89 firebird, factory 2.8 fuel injected car. i want to use the stock tank and fuel lines. is there any reason i can't put the 4th gen pump in the 3rd gen tank. is any modifying necessary?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
i'm in the midst of an lsx swap into an 89 firebird, have a quick question. i'm searching and sifting through the crap for one answer is tiring.

the car is an 89 firebird, factory 2.8 fuel injected car. i want to use the stock tank and fuel lines. is there any reason i can't put the 4th gen pump in the 3rd gen tank. is any modifying necessary?
It would involve some hacking, as the flex-tube that pump uses isn't a direct fit for the 3rd gen in-tank assembly.

The Walbro pump I mentioned previously makes 58psi easily, and it's held up to several fuel starvations on road courses without overheating and failing. Complete plug & play installation, no cutting or hacking involved.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crainholio
It would involve some hacking, as the flex-tube that pump uses isn't a direct fit for the 3rd gen in-tank assembly.
excellent, thank you.

i'm trying to be a cheapass, but in the effort of keeping things simple i might opt for the walbro setup. thankfully most everything on this swap is simple..and cheap haha.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k

or u could u drop in a good ole walbro 255lph and choice of c5 fpr/filter with 4th gen fbody fuel rail,
or
same pump with a adapters on oe lines for use with aeromotive fpr and aftermarket return fuel rails.
if goin carb. can use aeromotive fpr that allows use of efi pump and larger return line to tank (its what im going to use) would be wise to upgrade feed line as well.

Quick Reply: 87 Iroc Z LS1 Swap