Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who makes best wiring harness for LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question who makes best wiring harness for LS1

who makes the best wiring harness for Ls1? i hae a 68 camaro im putting it in. were would you find the best prices for it?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I think Speartech would be good to email/PM and talk with.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Teching In

I used Haywire. Cost was like about 700. Brand new, worked perfect and when I had a question the sevice was great. I'll use 'em again.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Speartech gets my vote plus he's a sponsor here! Let's support him, I did!
Old 11-04-2003, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

John at Speartech can sell you a harness or modify yours including extra wire to locate the pcm further than what was possible with stock.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Launching!

another vote for speartech, Ive heard nothing but good things, and John has helped me solve many problems that the makers of my craptacular harness couldnt.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

So Speartech can make any kind of LS1 wiring harness configuration based on your own specs? What's the average price on something like that?

What's the website address?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the website just check the banner list on the side vette boy!

Ive talked to John and he seems to be good to work with. Since you have a nice harness just have him modify your existing one.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by John B
Speartech gets my vote plus he's a sponsor here! Let's support him, I did!

everything works properly and it was an easily installation, you had no problems?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Speartech has done several actual LS1 swaps. So he really knows what it takes to do the wiring harness. I have a few mods my Painless harness needs for what I want to do with it and Speartech is very fair about doing it. I found a deal with painless, PCM, flashed with a base tune that was impossible to beat from someone selling it otherwise I'd have a Speartech one too.

http://www.speartech.com
Old 11-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Banned

We use Speartech.

Tom
www.ls1speed.com
Old 11-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

im trying to understand the wiring harness. there is only a couple of wires. where do both ends of this wiring harness go? seems easy on the one end.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdmille5
im trying to understand the wiring harness. there is only a couple of wires. where do both ends of this wiring harness go? seems easy on the one end.
Hmmm only a couple of wires????? There are about 60. The pcm end is very easy the pcm is labeled blue and red for the two big connectors. As you lay the harness over the engine most of the connectors will line up with the right plug on the engine. Most plugs are actually unique and wont plug into the wrong connector ( injectors are an exception to this but they are numbered) It is the two under hood connectors where all the work comes in.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile What are "under hood" connectors?

Are they the wires/connectors that go through or connect to the firewall? Such as the air conditioning control wires, gauge wires, etc...? As oppossed to the computer wires/connectors. Thanks, Gar
Old 11-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1swap
Hmmm only a couple of wires????? There are about 60. The pcm end is very easy the pcm is labeled blue and red for the two big connectors. As you lay the harness over the engine most of the connectors will line up with the right plug on the engine. Most plugs are actually unique and wont plug into the wrong connector ( injectors are an exception to this but they are numbered) It is the two under hood connectors where all the work comes in.

i domt see 60 wires on this picture of the speartech wiring harness. but, the info was helpful.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I miss understood. I thought you were trying to understand the harness you already have. I can't speak on the speartech harness for I used a stock one, but I am sure theirs will make it much easier. I was speaking of the stock harness where there are two underhood electrical centers (basically fuse blocks) where most of the hook ups are made. Plus as mentioned things like the tach, and such which is on a different lead going to the passenger compartment. I would be willing to bet speartech simplifies this, but regardless you are going to have to have bat voltage, ignition voltage, oil pressure, water temp, volts and tach to hook up at the very least. I did find it odd you were asking about a stock harness when the thread heading what is the best after-market harness. Some how in my sleepy state last night that seemed to make sense. In retrospect not much LOL. So to make a long story short speartech is the most helpful sponsor in this section regardless if you are a customer or not so I would assume their customers service would be top notch.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

everything works properly and it was an easily installation, you had no problems?
Absolutely! Zero issues and the motor fired right up (once I got the right size fuse installed!).
Old 11-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Cool

cool, thanks guys. well i guess im about to actually order the speartech harness. im taking my 427 tall block out. ill miss the awesome reponse and power i had from that big block. but i wont miss that 7-8mpg. you know i have never even road in a ls1 engine car before. so i dont even know what to expect. hopefully she'l get down the road a little bit. what kind of quarter time do you think i could run on the stock ls1 6speed in a 3000lbs car with me in it, with 343 gears and 29.5x10.5 slicks in my 68 camaro?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 427 will not be missed

I too thought that I would miss my 427 big block. It ran 11.99 in the 1/4. But, I will tell you, with those same 4:56 gears with the LS1 and a 6 speed, I can't tell a difference.

I went to the track to prove it, but it has been a long time since I had to use a clutch down the 1/4, and the stock T56 clutch is not up to the task. So, two tries and I never made it pass 2nd gear. I will try to scare up some money for a clutch this winter and give it a go.

But you will not be disappointed with the LS1. Although mine is running pig rich right now, I still am managing about 16mpg with those 4:56's.

I was hoping for more, but I still can't sort out my LTRIMS. Does anyone know how to tell if my donor LS1 may have been modified? Like say bigger injectors or something. Why else would I always smell rich and have LTRIMs in the12 to 15 range. Do the rear O2's do anything? I have none. Do I need simulators for the harness?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67ls1CamaroProject
I too thought that I would miss my 427 big block. It ran 11.99 in the 1/4. But, I will tell you, with those same 4:56 gears with the LS1 and a 6 speed, I can't tell a difference.

I went to the track to prove it, but it has been a long time since I had to use a clutch down the 1/4, and the stock T56 clutch is not up to the task. So, two tries and I never made it pass 2nd gear. I will try to scare up some money for a clutch this winter and give it a go.

But you will not be disappointed with the LS1. Although mine is running pig rich right now, I still am managing about 16mpg with those 4:56's.

I was hoping for more, but I still can't sort out my LTRIMS. Does anyone know how to tell if my donor LS1 may have been modified? Like say bigger injectors or something. Why else would I always smell rich and have LTRIMs in the12 to 15 range. Do the rear O2's do anything? I have none. Do I need simulators for the harness?

hey, im wondering about your 456 gears. how does it ride with those low gears. what do you think you top speed is. i want a top speed of about 140 in mine, so im trying to figure out what gears i need.

Quick Reply: who makes best wiring harness for LS1