Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with lq4

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with lq4

I was driving today and i noticed i was losing power it seemed like. I went to floor it just to see what would happen and it barely went, than things went downhill and it would barely run. It idles real rough for about 5 seconds when i start it then gets normal. It was fine this morning but now its not. I noticed that when i got it home at like 15 miles an hour the fuel pump was really loud like it wasn't getting any fuel. It sounded like it was just spinning. There is a hose that connects the fuel pump and the fuel line inside the tank, I was thinking maybe that broke. Any suggstions or opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

perhaps you answered your own question? Check the line, perhaps the pump is gone. pull the return line off your fuel rail, or off the regulator, place in a bucket and have someone turn the key so the fuel pump cycles. See if it is returning fuel or not.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

could be the pump but it is brand new. So your saying take the fuel return line off so that i can see if it is returning fuel which will tell me if it is getting enough?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

And, the fuel pressure is?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

there is a port on the fuel rail but how do i test it? or where can i buy the equipment to test it?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default You

Originally Posted by cdwood388
there is a port on the fuel rail but how do i test it? or where can i buy the equipment to test it?
can buy a fuel pressure gauge from many of the vendors. It should have a -4 AN hose and fitting on it. You pull the schrader stem out of the rail, and put the gauge on.
A kit like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUN-CP7838/
Old 06-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

if it isnt the fuel lines or pump try checking your intake for leaks. every once in a while i will pull my intercooler and forget the line for the blow off valve and it will run like crap
Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

ok heres what i found. I put a guage on the rail and I had twenty pounds so i obviously knew there was a problem. I pulled the tank and found that the hose in between the fuel feed line and the pump had almost come off the pump so i put a new high pressure hose on and double clamped. I started it up and had exactly 60 pounds at idle so i thought i had it. I took it out on the highway by the house and did a test run. I floored it and it ran great until second gear and then it fell off and acted like it was starving for fuel again. It runs good to about 2800 rpms and then acts like it has no fuel or something like that. It idles fine and starts fine so I am stumped here. I have an inline fuel filter on the frame rail and am kinda wondering if it may be holding the volume of fuel needed back. It is the original stlye filter form the 88 suburban the engine is it. Other than that i really don't know. Like i said it has great power until about 2800 rpms or so.

Quick Reply: Problem with lq4