Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1937 Ford LS2 Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010 | 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

In addition to making a bunch of parts and gaskets to clean up and seal the installation of the windshield wipers (install and pic's tomorrow) I got the air intake pretty much finalized, after I get the front sheetmetal installed I will be making a cold air box to draw outside air in thru the Hood sides.........Lot's of misc parts coming in this week to finish everything up.........

Ken
Old 04-14-2010 | 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Got the new thermostat housing in, it will make getting a lower radiator hose to fit a lot easier and will look neater......Before and after

Also neatened up the towers for the windshield wipers, there used to be a nut holding the unit together and a threaded stud that a big nut went on that held the wiper arm on...........cut off the stud and tapped the shaft and threaded the inside of the tower guide to eliminate the nut.....cleaned it all.....I'll make a decorative cap that will probably be installed and just install the wipers if needed..........

also got the heater hoses installed and heres a shot of the Volkswagen Beetle wiper assembly modified and installed, also the defrosters are hooked up.....

Waited all day yesterday for the Fedex truck to show up with the parts I need, he ended up showing up after everyone went home according to the tracking info.....hopefully that won't happen today.....Wheels and Tires are promised for Friday....going to the upholstry shop in a week and a half

Ken
Old 04-14-2010 | 11:55 AM
Teching In

Looking good!
Where did you get that thermostat housing? Part number?
Does it swivel?
If it does, if you were to swivel it straight down would it clear the nose of the compressor?
Old 04-14-2010 | 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

The thermostat housing is a Street and Performance part...yes it swivels...and yes it would clear the compressor facing straight down.....

I picked up the driveshaft and got it installed today, filled the trans with fluid.......started the car with the rear wheels off the ground and ran it thru the gears .....also got the radiator hoses installed.....No leaks anywhere.....so far so good!!.........Then the Fedex truck shows up with the GTO Body Control Module and the Powertrain Interface Module........Great...Now we can try and get the dash module functioning.....open the box....take ouit the modules...........Damm!!...........No Plugs.......I reminded them a couple of times that the modules are useless without the plugs......Darn!!......Now we do the waiting thing again......

Ken
Old 04-17-2010 | 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Got all the A.C. and heater hoses finished and installed

Got the rear fenders installed ....Here's a couple of shots with the fender welting installed....the welting looks lighter in the pic, but it matches the body color perfect.....

And.....the wheels and tires showed up......

The missing plugs also showed up.......on Monday we will find out how much of the GTO dash gauge module we can get to work.......

Ken
Old 04-17-2010 | 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Seems like yesterday.......................LOL

Ken
Old 04-17-2010 | 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Oh, I don't know, I think it looked better in the yesterday form. You should put it back stock!

On a serious note, be sure to cover the low side aluminum A/C line under the dash, or it will drip water all over your passenger's feet and get your carpet all wet.
Old 04-18-2010 | 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn looking good.
Old 04-18-2010 | 11:55 AM

Wink

THANKS FOR SHARING IT'S BEEN A BLAST. I WISH YOU AND YOUR BRIDE MANY MILES OF SAFE & HAPPY MOTORING.
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE US ALONG
PS: SPECIAL THANKS TO KEITH FOR LETTING DAD USE THE SHOP..

Last edited by CORKY1320; 04-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2010 | 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Interesting day today......Since I had the doors at home for safe keeping, I can only bring one at a time safely in the back of the pick-up.....got the first one down and installed today.......Making "Progress"...

Remounted the Optima battery and installed a shut off switch for the Battery to make life easier.....then Dave got the Partstrain Interface Module installed today and after a little head scratching and dinking around, we jacked the rear tires off the ground and started the car to see if the GTO gauge module would work......

Look at the module.....Tach works, speedo works, fuel gauge works.....but the Temp gauge didn't and we got some errors in the display

Dave is going to get together with John at Speartech to try and resolve these issues.......But......We are moving foward very quickly.....

As we were checking the speedo (gonna have to recalibrate it) we noticed that the rear wheels were slightly wobbling.....Hummm!!! Lugnuts were tight.......Pulled the wheels off and everything looked O.K.......Put a Dial indicator on the Rotors and noticed that there was a lot of runout....Hummm!!!.....pulled the rotor off and couldn't see anything....put it back on and tighten it up and it still had runout.....Humm!!!......After checking again I noticed that there was a shiney spot on the chamfer on the rotor I.D. where it mounted against the axle flange........Determined that the chamfer from the factory was not large enough to clear the diameter on the axle flange that originally located the brake drum.......Being a "Spoiled Brat"....I just happened to have a lathe 10' away and machined it larger and reassembled everything ....Runout.....Gone......

Tomorrow I will get the other door installed and work on installing door hardware while Dave works on resolving the small issues with the gauge module.........

Ken
Old 04-19-2010 | 09:01 PM
Launching!

Ken, thanks for posting your updates, things are moving along nicely, just a few 'building hic-cups'. I've got a question/suggestion for ya, have you considered letting someone like Classic Instruments reface the gauges with a more classic '30s look? One more question, are the wheels from Rocket?

Mike
Old 04-19-2010 | 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Humm!......Gauge faces are something to think about.......Wheels are from a company out of Australia

http://www.showwheels.com.au/wheels/...l.php?Series=6

Ken
Old 04-20-2010 | 02:56 PM
Teching In

Wink

Are the gauge faces translucent or opaque and backlit?

We may have an option!
Old 04-20-2010 | 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looking good. I think you should ditch the GTO covers in favor for some corvette colors, or get them shaved with the emblem taken off.

heres a good place to get the overlays too
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...e15c117cefae5b
Old 04-20-2010 | 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

If anyone can help out resolving some issues, it would be greatly appreciated........With the GTO Gauge module plugged in, we have Tachometer and Speedometer functions.......the fuel gauge raises from the power off position to the "E" level......I only put a couple of gallons in the tank so it might be correct.....I will add some more fuel tomorrow to see if the needle rises.......with that said.....after the ECM go's thru the start up diagnostics.....we get a fuel level gauge error.....also the Temp gauge doesn't work and the ECM won't turn the cooling fan on......any input would be appreciated......
Now, for today's progress.....Got the drivers door installed....got most of the hardware installed in both doors.....

Also got the Gas Door and fill tube installed.........

Dave got the A.C. controls temporarily installed so when the car go's in for A.C. system charging on friday it will be functional......
So.....the schedule........Thursday afternoon...Front end alignment......Friday morning....A.C. charging.......Sat and Sunday......I need to get as much as possible finished.....Monday......Going to the Upholstry shop.............

Ken
Old 04-20-2010 | 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Ken, the guy you talked to last week, here is what I got for the 2006 GTO That I used to wire mine....

Old 04-21-2010 | 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

O.K...........I added 5 gallons of gas to the tank and the gauge go's to the same position ("E") and the display show a fuel gauge error?? Need to check all the wires again tomorrow....hope it's something that simple

Ken
Old 04-21-2010 | 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kwhizz
O.K...........I added 5 gallons of gas to the tank and the gauge go's to the same position ("E") and the display show a fuel gauge error?? Need to check all the wires again tomorrow....hope it's something that simple

Ken
Here ya go from the 06 GTO since you are using the sender..
Old 04-21-2010 | 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Ken, a couple of questions...

What PCM are you using, make, year model etc? I can look into a tune file and get some info.

How are your fans connected, through a relay controlled by the PCM?

Also, I believe you used the stock GTO sender/pump assembly, did you connect the wiring from the sender to the PCM, or did you run stand alone system?

The fans will not come on if PCM controlled, until you reach a temperature setpoint. This can be changed in the tuning software. If 04 GTO, it is partially controlled by the PCM, and the BCM controls high speed, would need to know this.

As far as the fuel, the sender connects to the PCM, and also through the BCM, you can actually change the reporting parameters in the tuning software again. The sender needs to be the correct OHM range for the PCM to see it.

I just glanced at an 02 tune file, but they are very similar, not a show stopper, might just need an additional wire, and a tweak to the tune file....

T,
Old 04-21-2010 | 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by TomM
Ken, a couple of questions...

What PCM are you using, make, year model etc? I can look into a tune file and get some info.

O.K........Someone (Dave) a lot smarter than me is doing the electrical and he won't be here till tomorrow....so I will answer the questions as good as I can.......See if I make any sense......The PCM came from the donor car....2006 GTO......

How are your fans connected, through a relay controlled by the PCM?

Relay controlled by the pcm......the Temp gauge never moves.....

Also, I believe you used the stock GTO sender/pump assembly, did you connect the wiring from the sender to the PCM, or did you run stand alone system?

It is connected thru the PCM

The fans will not come on if PCM controlled, until you reach a temperature setpoint. This can be changed in the tuning software. If 04 GTO, it is partially controlled by the PCM, and the BCM controls high speed, would need to know this.

I have a 05 GTO as my driver and the Temp gauge moves up gradually.....we have no movement at all......??????

As far as the fuel, the sender connects to the PCM, and also through the BCM, you can actually change the reporting parameters in the tuning software again. The sender needs to be the correct OHM range for the PCM to see it.

I just glanced at an 02 tune file, but they are very similar, not a show stopper, might just need an additional wire, and a tweak to the tune file....

T,

I'm sure Dave will be on later to answer the questions with a little more intelligence.........Hope this helps .....We are close!

Ken

By the way..........You Guy's are the "Best"

Quick Reply: 1937 Ford LS2 Install