Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro LS3 has arrived for my 65 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took another couple hours to get it to where I liked it and to a point that I could at least tack it in place. But once it was in and solid it was time to start fabbing a mount for the shifter from Speartech.

It's a neat little piece; its out of a 2011 Malibu. He modifies it to work with his harness so you'll be able to use the tap up tap down shifting button located right on the ****. But as for right now, I'm still not sure how I am going to make the cable work that he sent, but that's a story for later.

this is one of the coolest things i have seen as i have been building up parts and courage to finish my swap on my 71 chevy monte carlo. its column shift, but after seeing this it'll be changed and i'll have to fab up a console for it. Definitely made my mind up now, speartech it is!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the interior look on your project. That console looks awesome and should be easy enough to finish out where the front of it ties in to the dash or floor either way.

I think I am going to use one of those if I ever get around to switching out the bench seat.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been on Speartechs web site but I have not seen the shifters. I have ran the tu/td wire from the transmission to inside the dash. I could always feed it up from the bottom to. My interior is dark blue so maybe a black one would work.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

question 1 - if you look at the connector itself rather than the alternator, it should have the letters a,b,c,d on it somewhere

question 2 - you're correct...the third wire (yellow?) went from the starter to the distributor I believe and shouldnt be needed anymore

question 3- if you can figure out the fitting size/style I'm sure there's a solution out there
Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks 350SS, I did end up figuring out the starter this weekend when I cut all the tape off from the old harness. It looks like that second lead powered the coil.

I did take the alternator plug apart. I was thinking that maybe it said under the retaining clip where the wires go in, but no luck. I did find this on the internet and I guess I’m just gonna go with it.

As far as the power steering hoses, CPP’s website says the fittings into the box are ‘the popular 7/16 tube size (11/16-18 inverted flare) pressure and 3/8 tube size (5/8-18 inverted flare) return port fittings.’ I guess I should start googling that for a compatible banjo bolt.

Oh, and also this weekend I got the passenger side fender and radiator core support back on the car. A couple more nights of screwing around and I might just be putting some fluids in this thing.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Well in case anyone else is in the same boat looking for banjo bolts for their older inverted flare power steering box. I ended up finding complete sets from Pure Choice Motorsports.

Does anyone know how much pressure is on the pressure side? Should I not even screw around with making the hoses myself?

Cheers,
Jay
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great build!!! Need more updates, .
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Hart Rod!

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying this since I got it running. Not sure I’m done tracking down all my anti-freeze and oil leaks, but it’s close. I still have some other things on my to-do list, like connecting the ac lines and finishing the console. But I’ll get into that next month.

It was nice enough here in Denver about a week back that I shot this video of it taking off. I realize I called the video ‘Burnout’, but it is just from idle, in drive and mashed to the floor. It felt kind of weird leaving my camera on the side of the road. But for anyone wondering what the Edelbrock exhaust note sounds like, well, I think it’s pretty sweet.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

That is good news in that you have the car on the road. How is the 6L80 working out for you? Any pictures of the finished engine compartment? What did you use for a VSS signal to run your speedometer?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

The 6L80 is great, you can hear it go thru a couple of shifts in the video. Unfortunately, I have a couple of questions going around in another thread. Because the tap-up tap-down shifting isn’t working. But besides that, it does a fine job on its own.

You are right, I should take some completed engine compartment shots. I’m on my second set of valve covers, but I’m certain these ones are keepers. The last set of fabricated aluminum ones wouldn’t stay put and kept sliding down and getting into the rockers so they had to go. The new ones are cast aluminum and have a locating tab on the bottom lip like the factory ones. But now the oil pan seems to be leaking on me. I really don’t want to pull this motor again.

I went with the Speed Hut gauges. And when it came right down to it, I threw in the extra 80 bucks to get their GPS speedometer. It came with a super long antenna. I was able to run it under the carpet all the way to the back window. Barely noticeable. And it’s ridiculous! It gives you your 0-60 and ¼ mile times. It’s better than a video game.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I tapped into the VSS/TOF signal from the 6L80 transmission to the E38 ECM for my Speedhut speedometer. That worked for one person on this forum. I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I am about three months away from having my car on the road. Post up pictures when you can.

Quick Reply: Camaro LS3 has arrived for my 65 Malibu