Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in 97 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003 | 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Default LS1 in 97 Silverado

Im sure this has been asked before or is pretty much the same question as others have asked but with different cars but I'd still like to know. Has anyone here done it or know someone who did it? What exactly would be needed to swap a LS1 M6 into a automatic silverado? Lets say I buy a junked f-body with all the parts inlcuded, how complex would it be to completely change everything need over to the silverado. Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks!
Rene

BTW I did do a search.
Old 11-22-2003 | 06:27 PM
Launching!

It will probably take you a while and alot of frustration if its your first ls1 swap, but its well worth it in the end. Here is a list of things you will need. Custom wiring harness, ls1 radiator, custom motor mounts, possibly a custom tranny crossmember(not sure about 97 chevy), custom oil pan, and you will probably have to either trim the cross member or do away with the a/c. Because the way the compressor is situated, the hoses come into contact with the cross member. I am doing a swap into a chevy, but its a 4x4 91 k5 blazer, so its a little different. Hope that helps!
Old 11-22-2003 | 06:30 PM
Launching!

Oh and I almost forgot since its going to be a 6 speed, you will also need all of the clutch linkage and shift linkage put into your truck, and all of the other stuff for teh manual. In my opinion though, its alot easier and alot cheaper to install an auto, and you get better off the line jumps anyways.

Remington
Old 11-22-2003 | 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Hey thanks for the info. How much of a diiference would it be if I went with an Auto? What type of tranny does the Silverdao come with? I know it would have to go but just curious.
Old 11-22-2003 | 08:19 PM
Launching!

Well since you want to swap in the ls1, they came from the factory with a 4l60e. and if your truck is an auto, then odds are that it came with a 4l60e. you will have to get a torque convertor from a newer ls1 tranny to get it to fit(I think). I would try as hard as possible to get the factory auto tranny to work if I were in your position. Because if you do, you wouldnt have to mess with the speedometer stuff(biggest pain in the a$$ ever) or the sensors or wiring, and you can keep your stock driveshaft. Or you can go the way I did my swap, since I am swaping a 6.0 into my blazer, the 4l60e would have crapped out pretty quickly, so I stepped up to the the 4l80e from a 3/4 ton truck. And I had a factory harness and computer redone where as it controls <engine,trans,a few gauges, fuel pump> and thats it, and the old pcm still controls everything else like lights and radio and stuff like that. And I would defintely recommend the same computer set up. If you want a less complicated swap, go with factory tranny with a shift kit and after market torque converter. If you want something you can give a good beating, go with a 4l80e from a 3/4 ton 2wd truck and put a shift kit. Have fun
Old 11-22-2003 | 08:21 PM
Launching!

Oh I almost forgot that if you go to an auto like your stock 4l60e or a 4l80e, then you can use your stock transmission crossmember.
Old 11-22-2003 | 08:36 PM
Teching In

Hey man, me and my buddies have been dealing with a shop in los angeles (near you) This people are doing truck and jeep swaps. The name of the place is DT motorsports 562 945 5300
Nice to hear about more local LS1 activity.

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2003 | 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up LS1 Into '97 Pick-up...

Is no problem...I am currently doing this same swap. The stock F-body oil pan can definately be used. You will be fabricating motor mounts that bolt up to your factory frame mounts. You can use the factory F-body exhaust manifolds, but I am using "Street & Performance" G-Body headers so I can lower the engine a bit more. I've also been able to move the engine farthur back, requiring the driveshaft to be shortened 2 1/2". Cut, balance & install two new U-joints was $125.00...Am now fabricating a new transmission cross-member. No big deal. The air-conditioning problem I cured by ordering a passenger-side high compressor/brackets from S & P also. They were about $375.00... Hope this helps some. I know I was starving for information when I began my project. Gar
Old 11-29-2003 | 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Hey thanks for all the helpful replies. Im still not sure if I'll be able to do the swap but getting the info sure is great.

Quick Reply: LS1 in 97 Silverado