Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moroso oil pickup, possible problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moroso oil pickup, possible problem?

Hey all not sure if this is a problem or not. I just installed my oil pump and pickup and the oil pickup doesn't seat completely against the oil pump. Its a Moroso pickup with a stock oil pump. Ideas? Also, what is the bolt that goes from the pickup into the pump supposed to be torqued to? I couldn't find any definite numbers. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

i agree that it doesent look good. I dont know for sure though, i know some one makes a bracket that goes around it and uses two bolts, might have to change pumps or drill and tap for that though. worst case send it back and they should take care of you if its a new part, might have gotten bent.

and if its an ls1 or aluminum block my book says 106 IN. LB (from 2002 ls1 service manual.) that converts to 8.8 FT. LB.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Cool, thanks for the info, would love to hear some more opinions. Here is another photo.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

after looking at the pictures your pump is already drilled and taped for two bolts, right? so that bracket would work for you if you can find it, i forget who makes it though.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
after looking at the pictures your pump is already drilled and taped for two bolts, right? so that bracket would work for you if you can find it, i forget who makes it though.
brphotrods makes it. i have it but i didnt install it. and btw what pan do u have?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
brphotrods makes it. i have it but i didnt install it. and btw what pan do u have?
Me? i have a modified f body pan, in a 80 el camino.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Brp Oil Pickup Tube Girdle

Yes Brp makes that kit it is called a pickup tube girdle it is a quality piece and costs around $20.00. IMO you need to make sure that pickup tube seats flush with the oil pump and is not binding or being forced in any way, if not you will have a air leak there and have very low or no oil pressure, you may get about 30#'s of pressure at idle but it the pressure will not increase when you rev it, the girdle is a nice piece and makes the pickup bolt to the pump using 2 bolts the pump is already drilled and tapped for 2 bolts G.M. should have made the flange on the pickup to accept 2 bolts but G.M. being G.M. probably thought they could cut costs by 1.5 cents on each motor by using only 1 bolt instead of 2. Good Luck!!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

na im talkin to the guy with the moroso pan. hopefully my engine builder put it on right. ill have to keep a good eye on the oil pressure during the start up.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Alright, cool deal, I'll have to look up that part and then cutup that pickup tube. I have a Moroso pan. (This one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/20140/10002/-1 ) Also, what are people using for dipsticks? Thanks,

Alex
Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Default Pick up Tube

You dont have to cut or weld anything on the pick up tube, you just need to make sure it sits flush without being forced, the girdle just sits on top of the original mounting tab, I am using the regular F-body dipstick and dipstick tube, I think they are all the same for a 98-02 Camaro or Firebird with a 5.7 litre. The girdle is not a must, but the pick up tube sitting flush is or you will definitely have a air leak and low or no oil pressure.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmxmon
Alright, cool deal, I'll have to look up that part and then cutup that pickup tube. I have a Moroso pan. (This one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/20140/10002/-1 ) Also, what are people using for dipsticks? Thanks,

Alex
I too am using this pan, with the matching Moroso pickup. I dont recall having this issue with mine tho.

I have a 2001 4.8L with a remote oil filter setup (cuz of the pan), and have no pressure issues at all. 45 psi at idle, and had the car to the track, and it was 75 psi at speed. I am using a FRAM Xtra guard 8A filter. I know, Fram sucks, but its what I had access to in short time before hitting the track. I never used a XG filter before, but I was really surprised by the weight of it, and obviously the size of the 8A is allowing extra flow / less restriction and the pressure is higher. Before I put the XG8A on I had a PH43, and it never got close to 75 psi. That XG 8A made quite a difference.

OH, also, the PH43 filter had cheap-o 10W30 going thru it, and the new XG8A has synthetic 5W30 thru it, so thats gotta be making a difference too.

Im using the stick that came with my LH8 kit, whichever that is, probly the Hummer stick. I think if you use a matching tube and stick, the level will be correct.

Last edited by cutlass_455; 09-28-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added oil comment. added dipstick info
Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
I too am using this pan, with the matching Moroso pickup. I dont recall having this issue with mine tho.

I have a 2001 4.8L with a remote oil filter setup (cuz of the pan), and have no pressure issues at all. 45 psi at idle, and had the car to the track, and it was 75 psi at speed. I am using a FRAM Xtra guard 8A filter. I know, Fram sucks, but its what I had access to in short time before hitting the track. I never used a XG filter before, but I was really surprised by the weight of it, and obviously the size of the 8A is allowing extra flow / less restriction and the pressure is higher. Before I put the XG8A on I had a PH43, and it never got close to 75 psi. That XG 8A made quite a difference.

OH, also, the PH43 filter had cheap-o 10W30 going thru it, and the new XG8A has synthetic 5W30 thru it, so thats gotta be making a difference too.

Im using the stick that came with my LH8 kit, whichever that is, probly the Hummer stick. I think if you use a matching tube and stick, the level will be correct.
Thanks for the info! Could you give me some part numbers, pictures or both of the remote oil filter setup. I'm just a bit confused on what connectors and tubing I need to make that work. Not a big fan of the remote filter deal, but basically needed that pan for my swap.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

I agree on not being a fan of the remote filter set-up i guess you gotta do what you gotta do in tight clearance issue situations, look into the autokraft pan it is a nice pan and uses the oil filter in the stock location.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bmxmon, Im not sure of the exact remote filter kit I got, Ive had it for a few years, I know its one of the Transdapt universal ones. I remember I got the one thats compatible with old Oldsmobile engines, cuz I ran a remote filter on my 455 for a while.

I used all -10 stuff. So if you add it up, its -10 braided line (~6 ft in total), 2 90* hose ends, 2 straight hose ends, 1 adapter for a pressure point ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RU...0/?image=large ), one filter adapter, 2 -10 to 1/2" NPT adapters. Pretty much generic stuff. The adapter accepts PH8A/PH43 filters, so whatever else uses those same threads and gaskets will work. See the pic to see the top end. Down at the pan, its just the 2 90* pointing as straight as possible towards the front of the car.

I too am not a big fan of remote oil filter setups, and Im kicking myself in the *** for not using the Autokraft pan. I even knew about it before, I just got rammy when I got the point of needing a pan and just went and got the Moroso one. I would have had to wait 2 weeks for the Autokraft one. Being in Canada, it takes about 2 weeks to get stuff. Im thinking of upgrading to the Autokraft pan when I put my 6L in next year.

The filter adapter is made of pot metal it seems almost and has lots of casting flash in it, so I did a bit of porting on it to smooth things out a bit. Just be careful not to slip and slice the gasket flange.
Attached Thumbnails Moroso oil pickup, possible problem?-img_0937-2.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use them on all of my engines.JC

Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

I used the Moroso pan and pickup in my '68 Camaro. I believe two O-rings came with the pickup- or was it with the Melling pump. Either way I used the thicker of the two and mine looked EXACTLY like yours. I did not like it either and did not know what else to do, so I did nothing. Maybe I am lucky but I have 40-45psi at idle and it just shoots on up with RPM. I have had no issues since. I did not know the girdle existed when I assembled my engine about almost two years ago. I can say that it sounds like cheap insurance so even though I didn't have any problem, I think it would be a good idea. Mine will get the girdle when it is time for a rebuild. Good luck to you.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I think I'll pick up that two bolt bracket. Better safe than sorry.

The gasket kit I bought (off of ebay) had two o-rings that I believe were for the oil pump pickup (Nothing is labeled in the gasket kit), but neither were as large as the original one, so I'm just reusing it. I read several how-to articles dealing with oil pumps, they all reused the o-ring with no ill effect.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

On second thought, I'm just going to build my own. Looks pretty simple to me!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason your pickup is not fitting into the oil pump correctly is because you are using the stock GM windage tray. The Moroso pickup tube hits the GM windage tray just above where it turns down into the pump and where the pickup tube brace bolts to the main cap. I trimmed the windage tray at both places and also bent it down a little to provide enough clearance and then the pickup sat down flat on the pump - even with the pump spaced out for a double row chain.

Here you can see my same problem with the pickup tube not square with the oil pump. This is also one of the places where the Moroso tube hits the GM windage tray:

Here is the windage tray after trimming for clearance of the pickup tube brace:

Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question.

Has anyone used the moroso pick-up tube with the stock oil pump, without modifying the stock windage tray and no problems?

Quick Reply: Moroso oil pickup, possible problem?