Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT LY6 into my 1994 Firebird Formula

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: I talked to Vengeance about doing some VVT tuning on the LY6 and this was the response

"For the most part we disable the VVT in the engines we tune. We have not seen much/if any benefit to the VVT at this point."

which strikes me as really odd... So I'm probably going to end up trying to learn it and tune it myself unless I can find someone else that knows it. I need to find a place in Atlanta that will give me some dyno time.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF? You need to talk to Mast Motorsport. They made the first aftermarket VVT cam, and make the cam phaser limiter too. There is loads of potential with VVT. Wasn't there a GMHTP article where they found like 100hp gain under the curve in the L99 Camaro?

Don't give up. Call mast. They're even sponsors on here: http://www.mastmotorsports.com/

Keep us posted!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 225 Likes on 174 Posts

Ya if the Honda boys can do it with VTEC then the VVT can be tuned..no question there..lol
Old 01-29-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a load of...

I agree, keep searching or do it yourself. Heck, you've done everything else... why not!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Both Mast and Comp are going head first into the VVT realm. There's some good research already being done for us by those guys. Mast has an entire combo that you can get to include the ECU. That sounds cool to me. I'd say that by the time I can actually afford to get another engine and all the nasties to go along with it that VVT will have really cought on and they'll be the "latest" craze. Ha, it's sort of a mystery to people now, hince the "how do I delete the VVT and DOD" posts.

To show how things can be overlooked, just go back in the archives of posts... like way back to the beginning of LS1Tech, and read how bad people were being bashed for even asking if it would be worth trying to build an Iron 6.0 (pre LS2 days) from a truck. "They're too heavy, and I just don't see the benefit." Back in the day when the LS6 was the only top dog, and 383 LS1's were still cool.

My question is how long will it be before someone asks "is it possible to convert my T/A's LS1 to use VVT?"

I really hate to say that I can't be on the cutting edge of this. Man would I love to have a complete L92 with harness, a mast cam/phaser limiter, and the vast knowledge required to get my HP Tuners Pro to do something besides making the speedo read correctly after gears...
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Mast should offer a Puter reflash vs. purchasing their ECM . I think they would sell more VVT cam kits ***IF*** they offered a puter reflash to match the cam purchased. ( raising my hand )

Just my .02
Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Well, from what I can tell. Most/all of the 'tunes' done on vvt L99 motors do not even adjust cam phasing at all, so I know of no one who has done bona fide dyno tuning and testing that alters cam phasing versus stock cam timing....

I just wanna get this thing tuned dammit lol.... I need a wideband.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a GMHTP article where they install a Comp cam into an L92. The only thing that I'm not sure of is weather or not the L92's base numbers were coming from a stock tune or an optimized tune. Either way, the cam's show a nice improvement in the peak, to the point to where the bigger cam pretty much makes 500 f/w horsepower.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...rting_cam.html
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

well, I probably won't actually end up doing a cam but rather a turbo or supercharger. My motor runs 9.6:1 compression so I figure if I were to do something like that I'd wanna take advantage of that low compression.

Yeah I've read that GMHTP article and I don't know what real-world numbers that those charts would translate into... but I'd be very interested to see. One argument for going with a turbo is that VVT is supposedly a "Turbo lag reducer." That is, it significantly reduces turbo lag and smooths out the torque curve and improves low and mid-range performance.

Last edited by pillagenburn; 01-29-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

No doubt. I'd say that Mast could at least offer some good advice on cam selection for a turbo. You know, I'd say you'd be better off researching what mods guys are doing with their turbo L92 G8's.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

im in same boat.. ly6 70 chevelle.. i want to keep vvt,but a ls3 cam has more lift.. and i think would be better for turbo setup.and its hard as hell finding parts for these motors.. harness,,

i kno the tq curve would just be insane!!i am also a diesel fan..haha.. possible over 600lb tq at 2500rpm.just thowing number's out there..

this motor boosted just has to have big numbers.. i want to see a dyno, boosted stock cam.. vvt..
Old 01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Boy and I was thinking of replacing my body and dropping my lt1 in another car, I just need me a new 6liter motor. Love the build. Now if I could find someone todo my rear quarters and floor pans,oh and that one spot under the hood. Hook me up that lil LY6 to my e4l60.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

See, the whole idea behind using the ly6/l92 versus simply getting a LS3 was the torque advantage and the potential gains from VVT tuning. Its uncharted territory but I will AT LEAST reap the benefits of low and mid range torque gains which really help in the 1/8th mile.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Default L92 vvt

Newbie here. I am doing this conversion as we speak into a 68 Camaro. But I am pretty clueless about this stuff.

I have not bought the cam yet but am looking at the comp cam package from the GM article. Comp actually has several VVT cams from Mild to wild. My understanding is this setup has a naturally mild idle.

Anyways, its all guesswork for me right now.

Also, I would love to hear what people are using for an oil pan (I need aftermarket pan to fit the 68) that will STILL accommodate the VVT sensors in the pan.

ANY help, ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Photos in the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41575483@N07/
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

How do you plan on tuning it after you've got it all installed? I'm not sure I'd trust my tune to any old shop when it comes to VVT. Infact, I think I might not feel comfortable letting a reputible LS tuner work with it, unless they understand how to tune to best utilize the VVT. I'd probably still call up mast and see what they could do as far as mail order tunes, or even getting one of their cam setups with a mail order tune... or better yet, take it to them and have them dyno tune it.

Let me go PM the guy from Mast and see if he'll chime in and enlighten us on some VVT basics.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

well, I *THINK* the way that it works is that at a certain point you want to set the cam from full advance (lower RPM's for better low-end performance) to full retard. I'm not sure if there's a degree of variability in that equation though; that is, how many degrees of advance/retard is needed and at what RPM for optimal performance.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Default ur car

Originally Posted by 68Problemchild
Newbie here. I am doing this conversion as we speak into a 68 Camaro. But I am pretty clueless about this stuff.

I have not bought the cam yet but am looking at the comp cam package from the GM article. Comp actually has several VVT cams from Mild to wild. My understanding is this setup has a naturally mild idle.

Anyways, its all guesswork for me right now.

Also, I would love to hear what people are using for an oil pan (I need aftermarket pan to fit the 68) that will STILL accommodate the VVT sensors in the pan.

ANY help, ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Photos in the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41575483@N07/
damn dude. nice car. Thats gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeet Where did you get the Specra EFI gas tank? Rock auto doesn't carry em anymore.
I will be needing one for a 2nd gen Fbody come June.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default vvt

nice motor swap. I'd think the swap would have been easier w/ both motor and trans.

do'es it run on 4 cylinders when on the expressway?

must get awesome MPG on a long trip. then power on demand.

hope the tuning & speedo works out.

Last edited by badmfkr; 02-01-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

no displacement on demand. I specifically didn't want DoD just because of the different lifter design and perfect gas mileage wasn't really what this car was intended for. I want fast... I want great handling and I don't want to completely sacrifice all of my fuel economy. It's just a good, balanced street car that will do well at the track.

I COULD have gone with a DoD motor and my brother was willing to do the wiring for it (that much I'm not worried about) but I just wasn't really gearing this car for awesome fuel economy.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Is DOD something that could be wired up to have a switch overide?

Quick Reply: VVT LY6 into my 1994 Firebird Formula