Sponsored by:

LS1 4L60E crate driveway delivery

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 4L60E crate driveway delivery

Hi guys
I just purchased a 91K mile LS1+4L60E combo and will get it crated to my house. I cant wait to get started on the swap in my ol' 82 Corvette.

What should I expect for the driveway delivery?

The only heavy equipment movers I'll have is an engine hoist and some little snowmobile dolly's. Not sure if these will be of any assistance with a driveway delivery.

Appreciate any experience on this one.

Brent.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it depends on the shipping company and how it's packed. When I had mine delivered, it was strapped to a pallet and the delivery guy used a pallet jack and put it in the garage for me, even though they stated it was a driveway delivery.

Worst case, you should be able to use your hoist and some straps to move it.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I seriously doubt that an engine hoist will raise high enuf to pick an engine off the deck of a transport trailer.
Best check to see if the trailer will have a tailgate lift....
If they can't deliver, they may charge you for a second trip.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hopefully they know it is a driveway delivery and they will have a Tommy Gate or similar device to get it off the truck!

Once on the ground, I have successfully moved engine and trans combos with cheap $20 moving dollies over smooth driveway concrete / garage / shop floors. I actually have a small stock of these things in my shop for tasks just like that. If you have something rated for a snowmobile, it should be more than strong enough.

Good luck and keep us posted on your swap.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Driveway

Usually once it arrives at the transport companies dock they usually call you to make sure someone is home and to schedule the delivery, that is the time to verify the local delivery truck knows it is a residence and that the truck needs to be equipped with a drop gate and a pallet jack, to be able to get it down to your driveway and then they can manuever it to where you want it.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always just pick my drivetrains up at the terminal. They will load it on my trailer with a forklift and then it is easy to get it off my trailer with an engine hoist. In addition to this, shipping is lot less than liftgate residential delivery, and you can pick it up on your schedule rather than theirs!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I always just pick my drivetrains up at the terminal. They will load it on my trailer with a forklift and then it is easy to get it off my trailer with an engine hoist. In addition to this, shipping is lot less than liftgate residential delivery, and you can pick it up on your schedule rather than theirs!

Regards, John McGraw
Although it's been awhile (I worked for Yellow and Roadway for 18 years) and the rates etc have changed - IMO it was always best and least expensive for the receiver to always arrange with the carrier (Yellow/Roadway) to have the carrier hold at dock for customer pu. Doing so eliminates the residence delivery charge in addition to having to wait all day for the delivery.

Very few truck lines have liftgate trucks or if they do most charge liftgate delivery in addition to the residence delivery as well.

If you arrange for dock pickup you can track the shipment to destination and then simply pickup at the terminal - most times until 8pm depending upon closing time if the operation is not a 24 hour operation.

The catch however, if that some truck lines charge a dock pu charge instead of a residence delivery charge. Even so, the dock pu charge is much cheaper than a residence delivery charge and/or tailgate delivery charges.

Your time is valuable too - so taking a day off of work to wait for delivery is more expensive that paying a dock pickup charge.

I rarely have UPS make to deliveries to my home. It is much quicker and less time consuming to pickup that their dock.

Tip: Most carriers will work with you and hold on their dock if you know the tracking number and notify the local terminal ahead of time so they can hold instead of automatically loading it for delivery.

Residence deliveries are losers for truck companies because of the time they spend arranging for delivery with the customer and the fact that residences don't have docks, forklifts, and pallet jacks for easy removal of the freight to the customer's garage.

I always tried to talk the customer into pickup at our dock and would waive the dock pickup charge rather than loading the shipment for delivery to the residence.

One of my dock workers could handle a dock pickup in 10 minutes VS at least an hour or more of time loading the shipment on a truck, making the call to the customer, driving to the residence, and then unloading by hand at the customer residence.

It's all about time spent on manpower and equipment to get the shipment delivered.

Quick Reply: LS1 4L60E crate driveway delivery