Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bsharpe's 71 Chevelle ls1/4l60e swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bsharpe
I was expecting the gauges to be a major problem especially since my all of my computers were from different vehicles but all i needed to do was wire it up correctly and everything worked perfectly.
That's good news...so just to clarify, did you have to have the bcm flashed or did you just run it as pulled from the junkyard? Can you give details on the applications (year, make, engine code) the ecm and bcm are from?

I've been on the fence about running a factory gauge cluster since I thought I'd have to deal with having the bcm flashed by a dealership or someone with a tech II...if I can avoid this that would be nice.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350SS
That's good news...so just to clarify, did you have to have the bcm flashed or did you just run it as pulled from the junkyard? Can you give details on the applications (year, make, engine code) the ecm and bcm are from?

I've been on the fence about running a factory gauge cluster since I thought I'd have to deal with having the bcm flashed by a dealership or someone with a tech II...if I can avoid this that would be nice.
I did not have to flash the bcm. I removed all of the security from the ecm with hptuners but everything else is untouched. All of the computers are from 6.0 6l90 vehicle but not the same one. The cluster is from an 08 escalade.

Make sure you get the dash wiring or at least the connectors and pigtails for the bcm and cluster. It cost almost $70 to get the connectors and terminals and was a huge pain to do from scratch.

The high speed gmlan data link is a chain. it must be looped and a resistor needs to be added. It took me a while to get it set up correctly. I had to connect the dlc connector pins as well. I will try and get some pictures and more info later.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

good news and thanks for the info...not many people attempting the gen iv swaps with the bcm, factory gauges etc so it's good to see someone who has figured them out
Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

The car is finally insured ( by hagerty) and titled but i have only driven it around the block a few times. The engine runs strong but I am worried about the trans. I started to hear a grinding/rattle from the bell housing but it was rare and inconsistent at first. Unfortunately is seems to becoming more frequent. I think it is either a bent or damaged flywheel or a bad torque converter but considering the previous problem with the trans throwing the solenoid codes and not going into gear I am definitely worried. I will have to do some further investigating and research.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

I installed new shocks and springs and put a few more miles on the chevelle this weekend. I am using adjustable shims/spacers on all 4 corners with 5 x 9.5 750# front springs and 5.5 x 11 Pigtail rear springs. I have matched these with afco’s racing stock mount shocks. 1021 in the front and 1030 in the rear. I feel that this is the best bang for the buck and will give me a great starting point.

I use a homemade ball joint tool to safely and easily separate the tall ball joints from the spindle. It is simply a 2’ bolt and a coupling which you can get at any hardware store. I also put a smaller bolt in the other end of the coupling but the threads are not engaged and it spins freely. You place this tool between the ball joint studs with the castle nuts loosened but still on. Just turn the coupling lengthening the tool will put pressure on the ball joints until they separate with a pop. This method is cheap easy and does not damage the ball joint like a pickle fork can.

As you might have noticed from the pictures I am staring my next project. I am going to replace the original vinyl top with a new black one. I also need to raise the font about an inch and try and level the car at all corners
Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice stance but instead of raising the front 1" I'd lower the rear 1". That wheel & tire combo looks good on your car as well.

Tony
Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

I can't lower the car anymore because of exhaust and trans pan ground clearance. I would like to get larger diameter tires to fill out the wheel wells and add more clearance. Then I will lower the suspension.
Originally Posted by tmcmillan5
Nice stance but instead of raising the front 1" I'd lower the rear 1". That wheel & tire combo looks good on your car as well.

Tony
Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

are the rears pigtailed only on one end? Where'd you get the spring adjusters from? I need a set for my rears
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 350SS
are the rears pigtailed only on one end? Where'd you get the spring adjusters from? I need a set for my rears
Yes the rears are only pigtailed on the bottom. Both front and rear adjusters are from speedway. 91645551 in the rear and 91645552 in the front.

I wish i had used 5 x 11 rear single pigtail spring to fit the spacer better.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

What did you end up doing for a dash pad? Everything looks really good and it's cool that were able to get that Escalade cluster and DIC functioning properly, but I was just wondering what you were going to do to cover the top of it. This makes me want to get rolling on my LY6 swap, just that I want to drive the car for the rest of the summer.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RJComins
What did you end up doing for a dash pad? Everything looks really good and it's cool that were able to get that Escalade cluster and DIC functioning properly, but I was just wondering what you were going to do to cover the top of it. This makes me want to get rolling on my LY6 swap, just that I want to drive the car for the rest of the summer.
The stock dash pad fits. I plan on modifying the dash and maybe using a modern steering column in the future so i have not covered the gaps on the side of the cluster yet.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Since my last update I finished installing the vinyl top. The install was time consuming but turned out pretty good. It was a cheap reproduction top with some flaws. I had to cut and make my own piece for under the rear window.

With the top installed and all trim mirrors and handles finally installed I started to drive the chevelle. I have had no major issues or problems but there are several things I would like to address.

The most important being some wiring changes. The transmission grinding and inconsistency is caused when I cycle the ignition it loses power and goes into limp home mode. I am going to add a separate relay triggered from the ecm for the tcm ignition wire.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Just read your build man and looking great. I need to upload my own build thread on my 69. I'm also using afco front coils with their adjusters. Happen to have any info on the p/s pulley you used? You are running all truck accessories now correct? I'm doing a 5.3 in mine and have been wanting to explore a smaller pulley.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Just saw you posted a part number. I'm about to swap for a jeep box and going to pick one of these pullies up and give it a try.

Last edited by dimehoe; 11-23-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Bsharpe's 71 Chevelle ls1/4l60e swap