Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in my 97 Jeep TJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man.. Hopefully you'll have better luck with that spal fan than I did.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
Looks good man.. Hopefully you'll have better luck with that spal fan than I did.
Thanks man. What kind of problems did you have with your Spal? What did you end up replacing it with? I've heard more good then bad about them, electric fans can always be hit or miss, hopefully I got a good one out of the batch.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Spal fan

I've had great performance from Spal fans. Oldest 6 years no problems.

Looks like your build is coming along.

The LS swap into the TJ is one of the best. I've done three with no regrets.

Have fun and be careful.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I've had great performance from Spal fans. Oldest 6 years no problems.

Looks like your build is coming along.

The LS swap into the TJ is one of the best. I've done three with no regrets.

Have fun and be careful.
got any build threads floating around??
Old 12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Couple cell phone pics of the motor as it sits, still plenty of clean-up to do:
Name:  1205091644.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  72.3 KB
Name:  1205091647.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  60.7 KB
Name:  1205091648.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  66.9 KB
Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

I like that something different.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pbj-tj
Thanks man. What kind of problems did you have with your Spal? What did you end up replacing it with? I've heard more good then bad about them, electric fans can always be hit or miss, hopefully I got a good one out of the batch.
Mine just never cooled right. Especially on the very hot days. I'm using the AA radiator as well. It was their high end spal fan too. I ended up switching to an ebay bought two speed Lincoln 18" mk8 fan for $70 and haven't had an issue since. I haven't even had it on high speed yet. It's the 18" version of the commonly used 16" Taurus fan. I think the taurus would have done well too though. They move a ton of air, but downside is they do draw a fair bit of current. Three other guys in my Jeep club have had the same issue with their V8 conversions and ended up upgrading their fans as well. But I know people also have good luck with the spal's, so I can't really call them bad either. I just think for the price and performance, the used taurus/lincoln fans can't be beat. Just wish I had known that before spending $325 on my spal. Anyone want it?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
Mine just never cooled right. Especially on the very hot days. I'm using the AA radiator as well. It was their high end spal fan too. I ended up switching to an ebay bought two speed Lincoln 18" mk8 fan for $70 and haven't had an issue since. I haven't even had it on high speed yet. It's the 18" version of the commonly used 16" Taurus fan. I think the taurus would have done well too though. They move a ton of air, but downside is they do draw a fair bit of current. Three other guys in my Jeep club have had the same issue with their V8 conversions and ended up upgrading their fans as well. But I know people also have good luck with the spal's, so I can't really call them bad either. I just think for the price and performance, the used taurus/lincoln fans can't be beat. Just wish I had known that before spending $325 on my spal. Anyone want it?
Gottcha, ya i'll keep you posted on how mine works. Im hoping for the best, I paid 180 for mine. If it ends up not doing the job, i'll be going the Taurus route also.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pewterfbody
I like that something different.
Thanks man I appreciate it
Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

looking good bro,
Old 12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
looking good bro,
Thanks dude.^

I tried to fire the motor up today, and.......... nothing. I got the motor turning over, but there was no sound of fuel or spark, im stumped for the moment. If anyone has any ideas, I would gladly like to hear them. Until then i'll be trying to figure out whats going on.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I may have missed it, but did you get the pcm flashed?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tommy69z
I may have missed it, but did you get the pcm flashed?
Ya had a custom flash done at Howell sent them my stock pcm and they sent me a new one that was flashed, along with the new harness
Old 12-07-2009, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks great except for the terrible looking body lift...take it off or swap for a 1".

1" bl will be waaay less noticeable and still give you a little extra lift... def. no need for much lift at all if your keeping 31's. even a 3" or 4" total lift will be fine with 33's

looks awesome tho, will be fun
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
looks great except for the terrible looking body lift...take it off or swap for a 1".

1" bl will be waaay less noticeable and still give you a little extra lift... def. no need for much lift at all if your keeping 31's. even a 3" or 4" total lift will be fine with 33's

looks awesome tho, will be fun
Ya, my jeep came with the 3" body lift when I got it. I may end up going to a 1 or 2" BL in the future, I have 33's right now, that I intend on putting on there, and eventually 35s will be ran. But ya... the body lift is what it is for the time being, I just need to get this motor running and get it on the road. Thanks for the up's though!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hear ya. i had a 1" body lift on mine and its really pretty much unnoticeable..and still get a little extra

4" lift will work fine with the 33's...i had 3" total with 32's and liked it. although, as i'm sure you already know, if your doin the 35's eventually then your gonna want a bit more than a 4" lift unless you don't mind rubbing or extending the bumpstops lol
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

What is that intake Tube and connectors from? Im looking for something for my TJ swap. I need a tight 90 degree at the throttle body looks like your would do the trick
Old 12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'm working on putting one into my full size cherokee at the moment. What did you do for a VSS signal to the ecm? Also, do you have any clearance for the front housing at full bump? Looks like the engine is quite low in frame and travel could be an issue.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

check your grounds, make sure you have every ground connected also make sure you have a quality ground going from the block to the frame. Kind of the most common problem start there, then let us know what happens!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by markeheiden
I'm working on putting one into my full size cherokee at the moment. What did you do for a VSS signal to the ecm? Also, do you have any clearance for the front housing at full bump? Looks like the engine is quite low in frame and travel could be an issue.
The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) Is connected In the transfer case, havent hooked that up yet so I am not exactly sure as of now.

What exactly do you mean by the front housing? I havent heard of any issues with the motor mounts that I bought from advance adapters, with clearance, so I think i'll be alright. Soon as its driving, I will be taking it to my buddys shop to give it the articulation test with a fork lift. Wont be huge since im running a short arm. Your right though, it does look low in there
but most of the deciving looks is due to the 3" body lift it currently has

Quick Reply: LS1 in my 97 Jeep TJ