Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in my 97 Jeep TJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 236 Posts

Just remember when you floor it to be driving in a straight line. Flooring it and turning can be a little exciting at least the first time.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
Just remember when you floor it to be driving in a straight line. Flooring it and turning can be a little exciting at least the first time.

Ya, Im sure its going to want to pull to one side or another

Cant wait to see what she can do, its pretty exciting.

My drive shaft is going to be here on tuesday, and then its on!

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
Awesome, should be a lot of fun, continue to post pictures and/or videos of the project. I really want to do an ls swap into my cj, however not sure if i will since i have a sbc with less than 8,000 miles that i swapped in a few years ago, always wanted to go ls but at the time it was very expensive.

Will do man, i'll keep posting up. I am going to have a big picture and video update probably sometime next week, when I get the jeep out of the garage.

Only thing with doin the LS swap in a CJ is that there is less room in both directions under the hood, but quite a few people have done it. Pretty sure it will require more fab work though. Would be awesome if you end up going that route. The throttle response on my LS is amazing compared to the old carb small blocks I used to have, not saying that carbed is bad or anything, the two I used to have just hesitated alot when i'd get on the gas.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

You've spent as much time with the build as you have with the picture taking and updating. Nice work!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribed!! this is amazing dude sweet job!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pbj-tj
Ya, Im sure its going to want to pull to one side or another

Cant wait to see what she can do, its pretty exciting.

My drive shaft is going to be here on tuesday, and then its on!

Will do man, i'll keep posting up. I am going to have a big picture and video update probably sometime next week, when I get the jeep out of the garage.

Only thing with doin the LS swap in a CJ is that there is less room in both directions under the hood, but quite a few people have done it. Pretty sure it will require more fab work though. Would be awesome if you end up going that route. The throttle response on my LS is amazing compared to the old carb small blocks I used to have, not saying that carbed is bad or anything, the two I used to have just hesitated alot when i'd get on the gas.

Nice looking forward to seeing more of the Jeep. What do you mean about the less room, less room cj vs tj or less room lsx vs sbc. The sbc fits pretty good in there it was tight but everything worked well, and if i remember right size wise (SBC VS LSX) they are really similiar with ls being slightly shorter, (depending what accessories you use can play factor in fitting I have heard)

I really wanted to do that swap but like i said it was to expensive, now much more reasonable however unsure if I want to go through the process of re-doing everything that seems to work well now. (re-wire, new fuel system, modifiy exhuast, etc.) But the potential and efficiency of the lsx is very appealing to me
Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Nice wouldn't mind taking that through the trail.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Couple random pictures, still have plenty of clean-up to do:
Name:  IMG_0130.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  96.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0129.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  138.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0128.jpg
Size:  94.0 KB
New Rims and Tires that will be going on:

Name:  0502001547.jpg
Size:  114.1 KB
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

This video is before I had my PCV system hooked up, and it was running rough. It was the first time the family saw the jeep start.
It scared the crap out of my wife, notice the camera jump. And also my little 1 year old was freaked out. My 3 year old was ready to go!! he couldnt wait to go for a drive. I felt real bad for little man crying in the background, but I think you'll get a kick outta this.
YouTube - First Start with the fam.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

puttting the exhaust in this week 3" all the way back. i have an xpipe kit "as long as it fits" and two magnaflow muffs. was thinking about dumping out under the bumper on each side of my tow hitch but its gonna be some tricky routing. if any jeep guys have pics to share that would be cool.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I could prob get some pictures of mine, its different application, the CJ7 with SBC, I have dual 2.5" with 2 mufflers however no X or H pipe in it, it has slight bend at the end and is about 45 degree between bumper and sides of jeep. Let me know if you want me to try to get some of it.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

puttting the exhaust in this week 3" all the way back. i have an xpipe kit "as long as it fits" and two magnaflow muffs. was thinking about dumping out under the bumper on each side of my tow hitch but its gonna be some tricky routing. if any jeep guys have pics to share that would be cool.
I'd like to see how you do the exhaust, I'll probably be bringing mine to stainless works next year to replace the single aluminized to go dual stainless but if it's easy enough...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

I got an appointment this wed. to do up the exhaust. So I'll take some pictures and post them up here. Its going to be a challenge to do it just how I want it, so we'll see how it goes!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't see how to run the exhaust down the left side past the front drive shaft and the transfer case. I have a 241R out of a Rubicon. Bigger than the stock 231.

I ran the left side exhaust around and in front of the oil pan. 2.5 inch into the two into one merge. 3 inch out of the merge to a 3 inch cat into a big flow master muffler. 3 inch tail pipe from a Grand Cherokee chopped a bit. Nothing is below the frame rail.

Sounds great without too much noise into the interior.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Freakin sweet!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Jeeps on the hoist getting the exhaust put on, pretty big day! Pics on the way
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Jeeps on the hoist getting the exhaust put on, pretty big day! Pics on the way
Cats or no Cats??? Ill be interested in how you had them run.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

no cats. the x pipe kit wouldnt fit in there so its going to be straight pipe true duals. going to be a challenge to get the pipes under the bumper so it just going to end at the rear axle temporarily till i work out the rest of the rouing. i can get to the rear bumper but it will need to be very precise. i may even relocate my rear shocks just to make finishing the exhaust easier. pics tomorrow hopefully
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

gave my wife a ride in the jeep today wanted to show her the power gave it about 1/2 - 3/4 throttle rolling around 15mph and the front end came up and we pretty much did a wheelie lol wasnt trying or at all expecting it i was shocked and grinning all day sorry no pics or vid updates yet posting from the cell... had to mention the wheelie thing :}
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very good thread i have been wanting to do this for a while your jeep is looking good man
Old 06-01-2010, 04:49 AM
Teching In

Default Intank fuel pumps

After installing a 2006 6.0, the fuel pressure became an issue. What pump did you use in the tank? I am thinking of modifying a 2005 jeep module and adding a walbro 255lph. I am currently using a 2005 jeep pump in a genright tank in my 98 wrangler. What have you done?

Quick Reply: LS1 in my 97 Jeep TJ