Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin' good keep the pics coming. The paint and sub frame look good.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Nice paint work. Why would you paint the car BEFORE the motor swap? I would think swap the motor, get it running then take it completely apart. Shell, complete subframe, all front end pcs. etc.... Then blast it all and proced with paint work.

I am sure you have your reasons though. Just not the way I would of done it. Looks good though. LOL. Sorry. Not trying to bash your work or progress. It looks good. I wish I could paint a car, or even knew how to. LOL
Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Project looks great! I am doing the same type of paint scheme on my 5.3 and also going carbed. Did you keep the stock truck coolant lines under the manifold, and did they clear your intake ok? My engine didn't have the intake or coolant lines, so I am trying to collect the correct coolant line setup. If the stock truck 5.3 coolant lines work without interferance, that's what I will go with. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fasteddy51
Project looks great! I am doing the same type of paint scheme on my 5.3 and also going carbed. Did you keep the stock truck coolant lines under the manifold, and did they clear your intake ok? My engine didn't have the intake or coolant lines, so I am trying to collect the correct coolant line setup. If the stock truck 5.3 coolant lines work without interferance, that's what I will go with. Thanks.

Well, the coolant lines are there and they fit fine under the intake, but those are used to heat the throttle body for better performance when cold on stock fuel injected engines. On mine, i'm going to cap it off at the end of it and leave it due to the fact that neither my intake or carb have the right provisions for a heated throttle body
Old 01-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Teching In

looks familiar!!!! car looks great bro u did an awsome job keep it up, heres a few of a VERY similar job my dad did. Hes the original owner of this 67 400 ram air and just did a full resto, in the pics the white hardtop isnt on but it is now.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by basballny2
looks familiar!!!! car looks great bro u did an awsome job keep it up, heres a few of a VERY similar job my dad did. Hes the original owner of this 67 400 ram air and just did a full resto, in the pics the white hardtop isnt on but it is now.
Dang! that paint looks eerily similar to the paint I just used. Any chance it's Marina Blue (stock 67 camaro color)? Thats what I used. I like the wheel well chrome too, I was considering ordering some for mine as a matter of fact
Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Teching In

his color is called tyrol blue, its the original color for that year with the ivory vinyl top which is also the original color his car came with. Once he gets the stuff off of it ill take some pictures of the progress since those pictures with the top and stuff on.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

Well, got some more work done on the firebird today. Finally got the engine/trans fully mounted and bolted in. I was able to use the stock cross member that the st300 was on; I just had to cut 3/4" off the front of it to clear the transmission pan. Everything else bolted on fine! The drive shaft is about 1" too long though, so I dropped that off to get shortened and balanced.

Unfortunately (well kind of), when I went to go fit the engine in for the first time I noticed that one of the exhaust manifold studs was snapped off in the head and was about 1/4" below the surface. After a bunch of trying to get that out, I replaced the heads with rebuilt ones that I had off another motor (was a side project, came pre-assembled from another guy). Turns out the extra set of heads that I had on that motor have been completely rebuilt and have 2.02 valves in them!

That really cleaned up the top of the engine!

Last edited by 67firebirdak; 01-07-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Also got the Inline fuel pump installed. It's kind of a tricky fit where its at, but I found a place where it won't have clearance issues such as exhaust or suspension.

I just used a cheap inline fram fuel filter, so hopefully that will do the trick of keeping anything out of the carb.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good quality pics, and execellent work. Looks nice and clean.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67firebirdak
The engine installed pretty painlessly, although I did have to add some spacers to the subframe mounts to get the holes to line up. Oh well, guess that what you get with mounts made in Taiwan...
Cool project. I'm not sure if you mentioned the engine mounts you used but I'm curious.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by frito1
Cool project. I'm not sure if you mentioned the engine mounts you used but I'm curious.
Whoops, guess I forgot to mention that.

Since the car had straight 6 mounts, I had to buy new stock Camaro 350 frame stands and engine mounts.

I got them from summit racing, part numbers GMK-4020-335-67L, GMK-4020-335-67R, and LAK-24084.

As far as the adapter plates, I found those off ebay, for $28. They're not 1" back, but they have perfect clearance for what I'm doing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice project. GOOD LUCK WITH IT !!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 PM

Default 68 Firebird swap

I just joined and don't really know how to post yet so I hope I'm doing this right. I have a 68 firebird that I have put a ls 5.3 out of a yukon in. The 0trans is the 80. I found the harness for 650.00. Anybody know what headers will fit? Also if anybody has a bagged car what offset works best? Like I said I just joined and could really use some help. Thanks guys.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nathanfirebird1
I just joined and don't really know how to post yet so I hope I'm doing this right. I have a 68 firebird that I have put a ls 5.3 out of a yukon in. The 0trans is the 80. I found the harness for 650.00. Anybody know what headers will fit? Also if anybody has a bagged car what offset works best? Like I said I just joined and could really use some help. Thanks guys.
I think you'll need a special set of long tube headers made for this conversion, any header designed to bolt onto an ls1 (5.7), lm7 (5.3) , or lq9 (6.0) and designed to be put in a 67-69 camaro should work.

Summit racing sells some for around $600 for some nice ceramic coated ones.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DOU-D3337/

I haven't had good luck with shorty headers, they don't clear the power steering gearbox on the driver's side
Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

Pretty big progress update!

Got everything hooked up, all lines run and fittings connected. The drive shaft had to be shortened by 1" in order for the 700R4 to connect to the rear end.

Carb, Ignition system, and cooling system are also all hooked up. I ended up getting a new Aluminium radiator from Champion Radiator off eBay, so that freshened things up a bit, as well as added better cooling.

For cooling hoses I used the stock 2001 Chevy truck hose on top, with a modified 1995 Chevy Truck hose for the lower one. The upper one is a bit long, but it works fine.

Here's a video of it getting going for the first time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRB6Begtjc

I still have a lot to do before it's "finished", but for now, this is a pretty big step!

Last edited by 67firebirdak; 01-10-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats on getting it started!! I'm currently waiting on my msd 6010.

With the carb setup, how are you going to run your pcv system?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonpixel
Congrats on getting it started!! I'm currently waiting on my msd 6010.

With the carb setup, how are you going to run your pcv system?
I'm going to run a pcv line/valve to the pvc line in to the carb, and put a vent on the other side (passenger side vent). I don't know how this will work but I'll post it when I'm done
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

Well, Haven't made any updates for a while, so I thought I'd share what i've been working on. School has started again so I have a lot less time on my hands now.

First off, I got everything on the engine hooked up, minus the electric fan on the radiator that I'm still working on making brackets for. It'll be interesting to see how the stock alternator fits under the hood (it looks pretty tall), and I'm crossing my fingers it'll work. The radiator hose could be a little shorter, but for using the stock hose from an 02 Chevy Truck it works pretty good.

Still waiting to order my new long tube swap headers from summit until I find a coupon that works...

I also put the interior back together, and reupholstered the front bucket seats. The back bench could use a re-foam and re-cover, but thats a later project as it's still usable how it is now. Turned out pretty good, I think.

Also installed my new Grant Pontiac Steering wheel.

And hooked up the gauge cluster. They're all mechanical gauges so it was very straight forward to get them working. I did have to go the fittings store a couple of times to get the right oil pressure fitting, but that's because it had to be converted from a metric thread to SAE for the gauges. What a pain.

And for an earlier question about the Black Pebble Plastic where the heater controls should have been on a car with the heater option, its hard to tell if the fader **** was aftermarket or if it was factory, but if it was aftermarket it looks like a pretty clean install to me. Doesn't do anything anymore but the factory AM radio is all hooked up and works fine with the indash speaker.

Also got the back window in. Going to go pick up a pilkington front windshield tomorrow.

Last edited by 67firebirdak; 02-09-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 1967 Firebird OHC 6 to Carbed 5.3 w/ TH350