Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 into 2003 mustang gt worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket5979
This coming from the same guy who, not more than 2 months ago, had to post a thread to ask if he should get retuned after getting a stall? Or the same guy who actually had to post a thread asking people to tell him how to read his dyno sheet in relation to his mods?... Yeah, buddy you don't have any room to talk **** when it comes to wrenching and know-how regardless if I am providing Ford technical information or GM technical information. How about you quit before you dig your hole deeper than it already is newb.
Bwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.... O W N E D. Now back to the thread. You can easilly run 11s in your car with the 4.6 There are tons of vids and threads on corral. Unfortunately, I am not a huge 4.6 fan either. I like the LS style engine. Must be because the heads were designed by a Ford guy (Do your research before any of you respond to that and look stupid). Im telling you though, the work involved in pulling and selling the 4.6 will not be worth the money if you purchase a cheap roller or 6er. With the money you make selling yours, you will come out ahead. I still do not like the whole car for the camaros for the reasons I listed on the first page. Not to mention, you will need to pull the rear end and get something stronger if you are going to do anything at or near 450ish HP. For the 6er mustang, you can find TONS of threads on how to beef the 8.8 (that already fits the car) for cheep.

SWS
Old 12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by seawalkersee
Bwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.... O W N E D. Now back to the thread. You can easilly run 11s in your car with the 4.6 There are tons of vids and threads on corral. Unfortunately, I am not a huge 4.6 fan either. I like the LS style engine. Must be because the heads were designed by a Ford guy (Do your research before any of you respond to that and look stupid). Im telling you though, the work involved in pulling and selling the 4.6 will not be worth the money if you purchase a cheap roller or 6er. With the money you make selling yours, you will come out ahead. I still do not like the whole car for the camaros for the reasons I listed on the first page. Not to mention, you will need to pull the rear end and get something stronger if you are going to do anything at or near 450ish HP. For the 6er mustang, you can find TONS of threads on how to beef the 8.8 (that already fits the car) for cheep.

SWS
Easily? It's amazing when looking at any modular forum and seeing the $$$ mods that the guys do, yet they are still as slow as crap. The 2-valve modulars are complete garbage.

I wouldn't tout the build quality of the Mustang over the f-body either.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slingshot928
I like the cobra motor swap in the mustang better than throwing an lsx especially if you just want a fun street car. On a side note, sorry to screw up the thread, rocket how much horsepower does the explorer make? My dad owned a 02 4.6 XLT, and I was thinking about buying one, a nice everyday driver.

I haven't had it on the dyno just yet because I have been away from it for almost a year now. Active military and being restationed away from home made it hard to bring all of the toys too. However, with all the stuff I have done to it I am confident that it will put down 600+rwhp through the built and stalled 4R70W transmission on the 20 psi boost that I pullied the Kenne Bell blower for. I spared NO expense when I built this as a sleeper.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
Easily? It's amazing when looking at any modular forum and seeing the $$$ mods that the guys do, yet they are still as slow as crap. The 2-valve modulars are complete garbage.

If those guys aren't able to achieve good results out of their 2v's then it is because they just don't know what they are doing. The 2v's are a fussy engine and if you don't have the combo dead **** on then it will make crap for power. However, when you put together a good combo it will surprise the hell out of the doubters. Is it cheap to make 600+rwhp with a 2V modular? Heck no! But it is very doable if you know what you are doing. Hell there are streetable 2v 4.6's pushing 900+ to the rear tires being force-fed with turbos. They may not be common but they do exist and serve as an example of what the engine can do, rather than what the common moron cannot accomplish...

I agree that it isn't terribly hard or crazy expensive to get a Mustang GT into the 11's. A personal friend of mine whose car I wrench on also has ran a best of 11.65 with his daily driven 2004 Mustang GT. It basically has full boltons, Trickflow upper intake, VT Stage 2 cams, T56 swap, and 100 shot of nitrous, some suspension mods, pretty close to full weight, and sticky tires. That's about it. I also see many other 99-04 Mustang GT guys who throw a Vortech S-trim blower on their car with no other work than basic supporting mods, pulley it to 8-9 psi, hit right around 400rwhp with a solid tune, and run middle to higher 11's on a drag radial. Now 400rwhp isn't huge power but then again those GT's are also relatively light when compared to an 03/04 Cobra too. With a good tune a stock 4.6 2v bottom end will last for a while at 400rwhp.

Last edited by rocket5979; 12-09-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sell it or get a 4v like a mach...have the looks of a stang and good performance. and if you can afford heads/cam for a lsx then you can afford a blower for a 4v

although if you can afford heads/cam for an ls1 then why not find a cheap, used blower for your 2v? you can make over 400rwhp with a blower on your 2v.

or a set of mild cams and a small shot of nitrous=11's...with a little suspension and the right tires. or bolt ons and bigger shot

Last edited by mrbigjeep; 12-09-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a FRC, headers, clutch upgrade and a small cam and run 11s.....

I had my FRC running 12.18 with only exhaust/intake/clutch and regularly got 28mpg
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rocket5979
This coming from the same guy who, not more than 2 months ago, had to post a thread to ask if he should get retuned after getting a stall? Or the same guy who actually had to post a thread asking people to tell him how to read his dyno sheet in relation to his mods?... Yeah, buddy you don't have any room to talk **** when it comes to wrenching and know-how regardless if I am providing Ford technical information or GM technical information. How about you quit before you dig your hole deeper than it already is newb.
I can talk all **** I want to you its a free country you don't know how much or little I know I can ask all the questions I want to see what different responses I get whether I already know the answer or not. What do you do for a living install window wipers on an assembly line at the Kia plant?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mknight759
I can talk all **** I want to you its a free country you don't know how much or little I know I can ask all the questions I want to see what different responses I get whether I already know the answer or not.

Do you actually expect anyone to believe that line of bullshit you just said??? [sarcasm]Ohhhhhh, we should have known that ALL of your newby-type questions were really meant in rhetoric... Suuuuuuuuuure...[/sarcasm]

Bottom line is that if you really knew much then you would be providing tech information rather than asking for it.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber

Well...I will talk about the quality because I have owned and KNOW. The build quality of the mustang (make no mistake, I sold it because I did not like it as a car) is FAR beyond the f-body. My brother and best friends had the f-bodies and had problems with them. Different plants, on SS and one Firebird same junk. I sold the GT to my aunt who still owns it and has had to replace the tires and brakes. The car currently has 80ish K.

SWS
Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

i did this to my 02 gt Ive got 3k in everything motor tranny Turbo fuel ect. you can def do it cheaper than I did I spend 400 on fuel pump -10an line 600 for turbo 400 waste gate. if you just did an lsx swap, you can get a 6.0 for 800 or less and a turbo 400 or 700r cheap as dirt. i can see a whole swap for around 1800 or less.

Quick Reply: Ls1 into 2003 mustang gt worth it?