Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 into 2003 mustang gt worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 into 2003 mustang gt worth it?

hey guys, i currently have a 2003 mustang gt, i know i know iam on a lsx site. i love the ls1 and have been wanting to buy a 2002 ss for some time now. my question is should i put a ls1 in it and would it be worth it money wise or just buy a 2002 camaro? i want to do the swap because i like the look of the mustang but hate the 2v motor(to expensive to mod for me for what you get in return). i want a lsx car but dont like the looks of the camaro to much. but if it comes down to it i will just sell my car and buy the camaro. i have always owned mustangs but never liked the performance compaired to the lsx engines. be easy on me guys thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its been done several times.... i think you answered your own question.

G/L with your swap
Old 12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Yea what he said.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Teching In

you're going to throw alot of money away on doing it to such a newer car and it being a GT. If you're dead set on doing an LS1 swap, i would sell your GT and buy a 99-00 V6 and start from there. you would save thousands and thousands doing that.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM

i answered my own question? i just looking for some advice not sarcasm!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM

i just wanted something different but it seems like i should just sell it and buy a camaro. i just want a head/cam bolt on ls1, something streetable but with some nice power
Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ucf_stang
you're going to throw alot of money away on doing it to such a newer car and it being a GT. If you're dead set on doing an LS1 swap, i would sell your GT and buy a 99-00 V6 and start from there. you would save thousands and thousands doing that.
agreed
Old 12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Ill say it. Sell your car and buy a 6er. For some reason the GM vehicles are stupid expensive. Unfortunately the F-body cars are junk. They ride like crap, have junk door hinges, terrible road noise, and the window motors go out.

Sell your car to and keep some money from a 6er or a roller. Then spend 2K or so on an LSX combo and you will have enough money left over to throw a cam and some other supporting mods at it. You will be faster and cheaper than the f-body and will not have to worry about the rest of the car falling apart.

SWS
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

KEEP YOUR CAR!!!

Is it paid for? Then keep it.

GT's have the good rearends... V6 dont
Ford makes a better rear than GM

BUY complete 5.3 truck motor and auto tranny...

(auto swaps are cheaper and easier, plus you go fast at the track with a stall converter)
Old 12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ucf_stang
EXACTLY CORRECT..
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

ill be the first to say sell that stang and buy an fbody.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say keep your GT and drop a Ford 5.4 DOHC from a Navigator in there with a little head work and cams. There are some very viable options from the Ford line that will get you plenty of power with or without a power adder.

Maybe I am too traditional but I say keep the GM engines in GM vehicles and keep the Ford in the Fords.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rocket5979
I say keep your GT and drop a Ford 5.4 DOHC from a Navigator in there with a little head work and cams. There are some very viable options from the Ford line that will get you plenty of power with or without a power adder.

Maybe I am too traditional but I say keep the GM engines in GM vehicles and keep the Ford in the Fords.
budget?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Teching In

LOL, why dont you just do a termi swap, it is alot easier than any of the other things listed, and it will have alot better end result. Mods, dollar for dollar, will show alot more on the termi motor. LX? are great motors, but I dont think i would do that swap.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 PM

you all have very good points, the car is payed off so thats nice. the terminator motor would be a nice swap but wont a head/cam lsx motor beat up on a terminator? i love that the lsx can run in the 11's with h/c and bolt ons.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Launching!

whats a terminator motor
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 PM

the terminator motor is the 2003-2004 cobra motor
Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 PM

so should i just buy a 2002 ss and install heads and cam, or do a cobra swap? i have never owned a f-body so how well are they put together or not? the mustang is great besides the motor its comfortable rides fairly nice and it has 106k on it and the interior is still nice. any suggestions with the f-body...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CORDY
you all have very good points, the car is payed off so thats nice. the terminator motor would be a nice swap but wont a head/cam lsx motor beat up on a terminator? i love that the lsx can run in the 11's with h/c and bolt ons.
Well, it may beat up on a stock termi, but for the price of heads and cam, you can upgrade the blower, and it becomes pretty much just limited by your checkbook after that. People on here are really **** about the termi vs. lsx argument. I have had both, and currently have an 04 cobra. I loved the motor in my SS, but the car was a POS!! They are both excellent engines, and he could not go wrong either way. And lets not even start the blower argument, LOL!! The new ZR1 pretty much proved, that LSxx like the ideas of what ford was doing... It dont matter how ya go fast, it just matters on how fast you go!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM

it is true it dont matter how ya go fast, it just matters on how fast you go lol.. i love things about chevy and ford as long as its not a import. both cars are great to me, i love the lsx motors they have alot of potential as well as the cobra motors. either one would be fast and it truly matters how much money you have and there is always something faster. i would like to try a f-body but i keep hearing that the car itself isnt put together very well as well as the rear-end. but iam not sure on how much a cobra transplant would cost me. anyone have any ideas where i could get awhole swap done? i can just imagine that the cobra engine isnt cheap.

Quick Reply: Ls1 into 2003 mustang gt worth it?