Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need direction on 71 firebird swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need direction on 71 firebird swap

hi guys i am in the planning stage for a ls swap into a 71 firebird and i am looking for specific info on this swap which oil pan? accessories issues, will a t56 fit etc. yes i searched i checked into this a about a year ago and i found a thread or site cant rember that covered this in detail. thanks for any help ED
Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

I can help you out with the swap give me a call or let me know if this help
The 98-02 F-pan works the best

Corvette or camaro acc fit the best but the frame has to be notched ot the a A/C bracket has to be used.

RockAuto sells a EFI fuel tank for you

The T-56 will typically need the floor pan split and stretched in order to clear the T-56 or 4L80.

Have you got your motor yet?

Last edited by RetroLSX; 12-09-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Teching In

hi thanks for the response i have not bought anything yet. thought i would research it first to keep from buying some stuff twice. i could have sworn i found a build thread earlier in the year that showed notching the frame etc. what the best place to buy an eng i was thinking local salvage yard. i wouldnt mind running an iron block 6.0 but then i would have to get the trans seperately. thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

If you want I can get a LY6 which is the replacement for the LQ4 as a complete motor with ECU, Harness and ACC for 2000-2500 depending on miles. These have the L92/LS3 style heads on them from the factory and with a cam are good for 480HP. I also have new t-56s and everyone and a while can find a separate T-56. The pullouts sell high and are hard to get split from there motors.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fsted
hi thanks for the response i have not bought anything yet. thought i would research it first to keep from buying some stuff twice. i could have sworn i found a build thread earlier in the year that showed notching the frame etc. what the best place to buy an eng i was thinking local salvage yard. i wouldnt mind running an iron block 6.0 but then i would have to get the trans seperately. thanks
I'm doing one of these swaps and was hoping to use the stock truck brackets and intake with my cowl hood.

So now I'm having to reconsider buying a LS1 intake and Fbody accessories for clearance issues which equals more dollars.

After it's said and done I could have bought a running LS motor and saved some cash.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Teching In

anybody got a pic of the floor mods to fit a t56? does it just need tweeking or completely sectioned like an a body? its an original 4 speed car dont really want to cut it up too bad. might have to stay old school pontiac power.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Teching In

I installed an LS1/T56 in my 73 Camaro and didn't need to modify the floor or transmission tunnel at all aside from cutting a hole for the shifter.

The stock F body oil pan cleared the subframe crossmember. The AC compressor will hit the crossmember and will need to be relocated or removed.

I'll take some pics and post them if it will help.

Last edited by 7T3LS1; 12-15-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T3LS1
I installed an LS1/T56 in my 73 Camaro and didn't need to modify the floor or transmission tunnel at all aside from cutting a hole for the shifter.

The stock F body oil pan cleared the subframe crossmember. The AC compressor will hit the crossmember and will need to be relocated or removed.

I'll take some pics and post them if it will help.
what motor mounts headers did you use.?
thanks,jim