Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't know exactly what it changes, but I do know that it's needed if you ever need to do a crank relearn, so the PCM is using it for something. Similar to the wire in an F body that needs to be grounded in park and neutral. I'm sure someone smarter than me would know more about it.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I don't know exactly what it changes, but I do know that it's needed if you ever need to do a crank relearn, so the PCM is using it for something. Similar to the wire in an F body that needs to be grounded in park and neutral. I'm sure someone smarter than me would know more about it.
Thanks! I hope someone has some more info. I am trying to decide if it is worth installing and wiring the PNP to my Holley Dominator. It doesn't;t need it for proper driving and shifting, but it might be helpful for other things.

Andrew
Old 03-02-2022, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Can someone clarify what the PCM does with the PRDN inputs that it receives from the 4 pin connector? In other words, are there certain strategies that are implemented when the shifter is in the various PRDN positions?
I don't know, but from what I've read on various forums I think it does two things:
- runs the engine differently whether it's in P/N or in a gear
- controls the dashboard display of what gear the transmission is in

Hopefully someone who knows can comment.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dlwilson
I don't know, but from what I've read on various forums I think it does two things:
- runs the engine differently whether it's in P/N or in a gear
- controls the dashboard display of what gear the transmission is in

Hopefully someone who knows can comment.
Thanks! It would be good to know for sure, so if anyone has more detailed information, please post it.

As of now, I am going to wire the inputs to my Dominator ECU. At the very least, I will be able to display PRND on my digital dash, and maybe use them for some tuning.

Andrew
Old 03-03-2022, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs-kgb74rq.jpg

In the above diagram, can I get a clarification on which cavities are for which gear? I am using the style on the right with the two connectors. There are cavities A, B, C, D. Is P for park? If so, then what are A, B, C?

Andrew
Old 03-04-2022, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default multiplexing!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
In the above diagram, can I get a clarification on which cavities are for which gear? I am using the style on the right with the two connectors. There are cavities A, B, C, D. Is P for park? If so, then what are A, B, C?
Andrew
Again, I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed that the transmission is using all four wires to encode the gear, because obviously PRND321 is more than four wires. I would expect that the PCM would see the pattern of wires on/off and use that to determine which gear the transmission is in.

I wired this up recently on my 2000 5.3 swap. I had to add the extra wires to the harness. I didn't notice any difference at all in how the engine behaved, but I could see the selected gear in HP Tuners, so I know it was working correctly.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e nss

I have a 2003 Tahoe LT with 5.3 and 4l60e, previous owner messed up neutral safety switch and the 6 wire pigtail. I replaced both but the wires on the newish pigtail doesn't match the wires coming from the trucks harness. My truck doesn't have a purple wire but does have a grey one among other different colors. Where can I find the correct color scheme for a '03 Tahoe? Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs