Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs

I pulled all of the wiring for the 4L80 off of a 2000 3/4 Chevrolet truck harness and I'm adding it to a stand alone engine harness that I currently own.

I'm looking for a wiring diagram or just a list of what wire goes where on the big connector on the pnp switch.
There are 6 wires , purple/white , 2 light green ,yellow , pink and a black/white .

Any help would be appreciated !
Old 12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pin
Wire Color
Circuit No.
Function

A
--
--
Not Used

B
LT GRN
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park

C
PNK
Fused Ignition 1 Feed

D
BLK/WHT
Engine Control Module Ground

E
PPL/WHT
Starter Relay Feed - Coil

F
LT GRN
Back-up Lamp Feed

G
YEL
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park/Neutral
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks poconojoe!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

A
--
--
Not Used

B
LT GRN
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park~~~~Goes ?

C
PNK
Fused Ignition 1 Feed ~~~~Gets a switched +12v hooked to it

D
BLK/WHT
Engine Control Module Ground Gets grounded ?

E
PPL/WHT
Starter Relay Feed - Coil ~~~~Goes ?

F
LT GRN
Back-up Lamp Feed

G
YEL
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park/Neutral ~~~~Goes ?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone tell me how to get a ground (-) signal from the park/neutral switch ONLY when it's in Park and Neutral?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by PWagon
Can someone tell me how to get a ground (-) signal from the park/neutral switch ONLY when it's in Park and Neutral?
Soumds like you're working with an F body harness and not a truck, correct? If so, it depends on where your shifter is, either column or floor. You can do it with limit switches, or by using a factory NSS if you have another way to control the neutral safety function. I actually have two factory neutral safety switches on my column, one for the PCM and the other for the neutral safety.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Teching In

question fo ya on the 4l60e do u need that selector module hooked up for the pcm to see what gear u r in reason im askin is that i put the motor and trans out of my 02 silverado into my 79 malibu and the problem i having is that from park to 1st the car does not go into 1st it will only do it when im rolling at about 10mph id shift to 1st i can feel it then shift to 1st so i was guessing that i needed that selector hooked up so the pcm can see when i shift, does that sound about right ?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my Nova swap..02' LS1 w/4L60e.. and using the Nova Column shifter.. I documented how I did it in my Build Thread. .follow the link in the Sig..

I wanted to use a PNP switch to signal the PCM. Since the Nova PNP gave a 12+ Hot.. I needed to convert it to 12-.

I used two Relays and the existing Column PNP switch. Here is the Diagram ...:

Name:  NovaPNPRelayswitchsetup_zpse0fc5513.jpg
Views: 69653
Size:  39.9 KB

It is one way...
The following users liked this post:
Rogueway99 (10-12-2023)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 79bluebu
question fo ya on the 4l60e do u need that selector module hooked up for the pcm to see what gear u r in reason im askin is that i put the motor and trans out of my 02 silverado into my 79 malibu and the problem i having is that from park to 1st the car does not go into 1st it will only do it when im rolling at about 10mph id shift to 1st i can feel it then shift to 1st so i was guessing that i needed that selector hooked up so the pcm can see when i shift, does that sound about right ?
You shouldnt need it for the trans to go into first gear. Is your linkage adjusted right? Also make sure you have power going to the transmission. If you don't have power I believe it will start out in second.
Mannyfresh78 (01-15-2021)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Teching In

i do have the big round plug hooked up but u r saying that that selector module needs to b hooked up also is that correct if u can give me a call i would be much greatful 708-262-0428
Old 08-16-2013, 04:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 79bluebu
i do have the big round plug hooked up but u r saying that that selector module needs to b hooked up also is that correct if u can give me a call i would be much greatful 708-262-0428
The range sensor on the side of the trans should be hooked up for the PCM to adjust the idle when shifting in and out of gear, but is NOT needed for the transmission to work right. The round plug you said you have plugged in is what's needed for the transmission to function. On that plug there is an ignition 'hot' wire, you need to make su 're it has power.

Who did your harness? Does the fuse block have a fuse labeled 'transmission'?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:39 PM

Default 2003,Envoy 4L60e diagnosis

My 03 envoy just stopped shifting while I was driving. Like it went in neutral. I don't have a scan tool to read the codes. But I have the pan off and used a test light on all four shift solenoid with the key on. But I don't have power to the pressure control solenoid with the key on. Is this the problem? No sounds or anything when the transmission just stopped working. Is there a diagram? I have power to the pink wire coming into the transmission.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Hey

Originally Posted by djquik88
A
--
--
Not Used

B
LT GRN
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park~~~~="4"%Goes ?

C
PNK
Fused Ignition 1 Feed ~~~~="4"%Gets a switched +12v hooked to it

D
BLK/WHT
Engine Control Module Ground ="4"%Gets grounded ?

E
PPL/WHT
Starter Relay Feed - Coil ~~~~="4"%Goes ?

F
LT GRN
Back-up Lamp Feed

G
YEL
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park/Neutral ~~~~="4"%Goes ?

Did you ever get a answer to this
Old 02-11-2020, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Miller
Did you ever get a answer to this
We may never know. He hasn't been here for over 2 years
Old 06-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djquik88
A
--
--
Not Used

B
LT GRN
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park~~~~Goes ? Shift Interlock, for holding some factory shifters in park, not required.

C
PNK
Fused Ignition 1 Feed ~~~~Gets a switched +12v hooked to it Yes

D
BLK/WHT
Engine Control Module Ground Gets grounded ? Yes, ground this.

E
PPL/WHT
Starter Relay Feed - Coil ~~~~Goes ? Feed this with 12V from the ignition switch START position (this will then supply 12V to G 1737 when the transmission switch is in Park and Neutral.)

F
LT GRN
Back-up Lamp Feed This gives off 12V in Reverse, connect to reverse lamps

G
YEL
Transmission Mounted Neutral Safety Switch Output - Park/Neutral ~~~~Goes ? Connect this 12 V to work your starter motor relay, see start circuit diagram below. This is 12V out when ignition switch is in START position and trans switch is in Park or Neutral. This 12V comes from Pin E 1035 , when the transmission switch is in Park and Neutral.

I just went through figuring this out as im doing a swap on a car that doesnt have PNP on the shifter so im mounting the factory 4L60e transmission switch on a T400.

Diagrams...

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs-kgb74rq.jpg

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs-3el4e8m.gif

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs-oxcp4eq.gif

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs-h8bwqja.gif
ab1tc (06-02-2021)
Old 09-21-2020, 11:14 AM
Teching In

I am at the point in my swap where the neutral safety (PNP) switch needs to be connected. The information in this post is very helpful.
I want to clarify the wiring of two of the pins in the PNP - Pin E PL/WT and Pin G YL (highlight red in image).

From what I understand in this discussion, the PL/WT wire on Pin E of the PNP should tap into the wire coming from the ignition switch when it is in the START position. In my application – a 1997 Jeep TJ – it is a YL/RD wire.

The YL wire on Pin G of the PNP should tap into the wire going to the coil side of the starter motor relay. In the TJ, it is a BR/LB wire.

The BK/WT wire on Pin D of the PNP will get a ground connection.

Below is a schematic of what I think it should look like. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2020, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by t2true
I am at the point in my swap where the neutral safety (PNP) switch needs to be connected. The information in this post is very helpful.
I want to clarify the wiring of two of the pins in the PNP - Pin E PL/WT and Pin G YL (highlight red in image).

From what I understand in this discussion, the PL/WT wire on Pin E of the PNP should tap into the wire coming from the ignition switch when it is in the START position. In my application – a 1997 Jeep TJ – it is a YL/RD wire.

The YL wire on Pin G of the PNP should tap into the wire going to the coil side of the starter motor relay. In the TJ, it is a BR/LB wire.

The BK/WT wire on Pin D of the PNP will get a ground connection.

Below is a schematic of what I think it should look like. Am I on the right track?

Thanks
I think this is what you need. In your version you have 12V going to both sides of the relay coil, that wont work.

Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs-jq1brl5.png

So jeep start wire (12V) to pin E , then pin G will take that 12V to one side of the relay coil when you are in P or N. The other side of the relay coil is grounded.

Last edited by lumen8; 09-21-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lumen8
I think this is what you need. In your version you have 12V going to both sides of the relay coil, that wont work.

So jeep start wire (12V) to pin E , then pin G will take that 12V to one side of the relay coil when you are in P or N. The other side of the relay coil is grounded.
Excellent! Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. That helps a lot.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm doing the same thing tonight in a 1979 G-body El Camino that originally had a manual transmission and column shift, but now has a 5.3/4L60E. Apparently the early G-bodies don't have an electrical clutch pedal switch or an electrical gear position switch to prevent the starter from working when the car is in gear. Instead there is a mechanical lockout inside the steering column that prevents the ignition switch from turning when the car is in gear.Since I now have a 4L60E with the PNP connector I can use the above diagram to keep the starter from working unless the trans is in P or N. I don't believe I have a starter relay other than the solenoid on the starter, and the purple wire coming from the ignition switch is pretty thick. Do I need to add a relay after the PNP switch, or can the switch handle the current going to the starter solenoid? Or maybe there is a relay inside of the PNP switch, based on the pin assignments.

I also had to track down the backup light wiring, which originally went to a switch on top of the column, but a previous owner had repurposed to run the radio. I think I can put ignition voltage to pin C on the PNP connector, and connect pin F to the existing backup light wiring. This should be independent of the starter wiring, and not need a relay.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dlwilson
I'm doing the same thing tonight in a 1979 G-body El Camino that originally had a manual transmission and column shift, but now has a 5.3/4L60E. Apparently the early G-bodies don't have an electrical clutch pedal switch or an electrical gear position switch to prevent the starter from working when the car is in gear. Instead there is a mechanical lockout inside the steering column that prevents the ignition switch from turning when the car is in gear.Since I now have a 4L60E with the PNP connector I can use the above diagram to keep the starter from working unless the trans is in P or N. I don't believe I have a starter relay other than the solenoid on the starter, and the purple wire coming from the ignition switch is pretty thick. Do I need to add a relay after the PNP switch, or can the switch handle the current going to the starter solenoid? Or maybe there is a relay inside of the PNP switch, based on the pin assignments.

I also had to track down the backup light wiring, which originally went to a switch on top of the column, but a previous owner had repurposed to run the radio. I think I can put ignition voltage to pin C on the PNP connector, and connect pin F to the existing backup light wiring. This should be independent of the starter wiring, and not need a relay.
You WILL need a starter relay to use the range sensor on the 4l60e. If you run the power straight through the switch you will smoke it in a short time.

Quick Reply: Need PNP (park neutral switch) wiring diagram or pin outs