Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM or VVT with a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AFM or VVT with a manual transmission

I've noticed that with the current GM offerings, that all of the vehicles that offer the AFM or VVT have automatic transmissions. I haven't noticed any with Manual Transmissions. I've done a bit of searching here also, and have not found a deffinate answer.

I am probably a few years away from actually buyng my engine for my Chevelle project. I've been eyeing both LS2, LQ4's, LQ9's Ly6's and L92's I'd really like something with high flowing heads like the L92's but I'm deffinately sure I want a manual transmission. Obviously cost is a concern. But I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that is running either AFM or VVT with a manual transmission.

I'd like to squeeze as much mileage out of this as possible, and plan on driving it all over the place.

Thanks guys
Steve
Old 12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't thought about that a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure I'll be OK (my build is probably about 80% done or thereabouts). I can't imagine that there aren't any light-duty pickups made with VVT & a manual trans...

Of course now you've gotten my curiosity piqued, I might just have to call a dealer or something...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I haven't thought about that a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure I'll be OK (my build is probably about 80% done or thereabouts). I can't imagine that there aren't any light-duty pickups made with VVT & a manual trans...

Of course now you've gotten my curiosity piqued, I might just have to call a dealer or something...

I've been following your thread and have hopes that what ever engine I use will turn out as nice as yours... I'd love to put in an L92 engine and utilize both the AFM and VVT. It'd sure be nice to have 400hp, and be able to squeeze Mid to high 20's out of it on the highway. Since I hadn't heard of one way or the other I figured I'd ask so I can keep planning and scheeming and getting all of my stuff lined up without having to buy parts twice. or disable AFM or VVT after buing an engine with those features already included.

BTW you project is turining out great!

Steve
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

I noticed the same thing and have also been wondering about using AFM in conjunction with a manual transmission. I would think that VVT would work just fine with a manual transmission, but I'm wondering if the AFM operation is based from some sort of load detector in the auto.
Granted most vehicles are automatics, The G8 Gt is auto only but has AFM. The G8 GXP gets the LS3, no afm or vvt. The 2010 auto camaro L99 has AFM, the six speed gets the LS3.
Sure would like to see what Gen 5 brings. I'm hoping for a 6L+ direct injected, VVT, and AFM, available with a 6 speed, in a car with 4 doors and RWD, hopefully in a small package like the alpha platform.....but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vvt seems to work great in my LY6 1994 firebird... it absolutely kicks like a horse
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

What kind of mileage are you getting out of that LY6? any modifications?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Teching In

mid 20s
Old 12-28-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Afm? Vvt?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

AFM = Active fuel management (Where it turns off a few of the cylinders at cruising speeds)
VVT = Variable Valve Timing (Advances and retards the cam via oil pressure)
Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm in the same boat, scheeming a swap with all the doodads. my guess is the afm is to harsh through the clutch/drivetrain. a torque converter can absorb the engagement and some of the harmonics of the afm...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

^ How would that affect the drivetrain? All it does is turn off the injectors I would imagine for 4 of the cylinders and rotates turning the 2nd set of 4cyl off every 1rpm. I dont know how it does it exactly though.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I would imagine that the PCM calculates what to do based on drivetrain load, a sudden change in that (like pushing in the clutch) may cause problems. But I'm hoping that someone has some direct experience.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

I wonder if you could program it to a switch on the dash as on and off, no matter how you drive it. Have a toggle switch for "performance" and "economy".
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZV8
I wonder if you could program it to a switch on the dash as on and off, no matter how you drive it. Have a toggle switch for "performance" and "economy".
You probably could (with enough time & money invested in it), but I don't know that it would be such a good idea. Probably a better idea to tweak the parameters that the ECM uses, since it's virtually always going to make the decisions more quickly/smoothly/efficiently, etc.

And since we're on the subject, after thinking about this a bit, I'm now just a little bit concerned. Most of us know that LS-series engines (on a semi-frequent basis) have issues with oil starvation after high RPMs because sometimes the oil doesn't drain back to the pan as quickly as we'd like. I'm wondering if that tendency might be aggravated with the VVT engines, since the oil pressure is so high (> 100 psi). And I'm also wondering if I might be shooting myself in the foot by swapping on the F-body pan, even though that's what's required for the engine to fit in my chassis.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm almost wondering about getting "bat wings" TIG'd onto the pan in order to add a bit more capacity...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Teching In

the afm is not available with a manual for the mentioned reason, the torque converter takes out the vibration of the reduced cylinders.
i always thought if you were getting the pcm reflashed, you could set it to only work when cruise is engaged (when you would get the most from it)
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Teching In

any more thoughts on this?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 605 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

there would be no need for a perfomance" & "economy" mode The ECM will only go into 4 cyl. mode at a cruise with no load. If you start on a slight or mild grade incline, it reverts back to 8 cyls. I had a 07 Monte SS with this DOD. It works great. I got 26-26.1 MPG with 3 adults /1 child and packed trunk averaging 67-69 MPH . My trips included hills in PA. too.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Deserttaco
AFM = Active fuel management (Where it turns off a few of the cylinders at cruising speeds)
VVT = Variable Valve Timing (Advances and retards the cam via oil pressure)
Thanks for information>>VVT and AFM..I saw Ly6 motor in salvage yard other day. I did not realized that Ly6 easily get 400-500hp.

Quick Reply: AFM or VVT with a manual transmission