Sponsored by:

Lincoln Town Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Mmx
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lincoln Town Car

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post in so let me know if I screwed up. Ok, as unorthodox as it sounds here goes: I have a 2003 Lincoln Town Car that I love, except for the engine. Is it doable (and emissions legal) to swap in an LS1 and transmission to the car? I haven't seen it done before but haven't assumed that it was impossible just because it hasn't been done yet. After browsing old threads on CrownVic.net, it seems a lot of people swapped in 5.4 Fords but I am not going to waste money on another modular Ford. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Anything is possible with time and money. Shouldnt be a hard swap.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Mmx
Teching In

What do most places charge for a swap?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really wouldn't be too hard of a swap. The motor mounts will bolt up with some minor changes. As far as emissions legal, I can't see why not. Do some research on your local laws before turning a wrench, but I'd say its doable.

I will say that paying someone to do something like this for you will get expensive quick.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Launching!

In CA, IIRC, you are not allowed to put an older engine in a car (2003 Lincoln with an 01 LSx). Nevada is, of course, much different.

Please fill out your profile so we know where you are and can help with both emissions and fabricators.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Mmx
Teching In

Originally Posted by mramay
In CA, IIRC, you are not allowed to put an older engine in a car (2003 Lincoln with an 01 LSx). Nevada is, of course, much different.

Please fill out your profile so we know where you are and can help with both emissions and fabricators.
Ok profile filled out. I am in Western New York (Buffalo) so California emissions apply. I suppose the first step is finding an in tact engine from 2003.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also keep in mind, I don't believe you will be able to use a truck variant, and still retain your smog legality. From what I remember, you will have to use an engine originally form a car.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Mmx
Teching In

What is the difference in emissions between the two engines? The only difference I know of is one has a cast iron block (which I would prefer) and the other is aluminum.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not necessarily in the emissions output, I think it has more to do with the trucks being allowed more. I'm lucky in my state, we don't have much for emissions issues....yet. Im just regurgitating what I've read elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
Also keep in mind, I don't believe you will be able to use a truck variant, and still retain your smog legality. From what I remember, you will have to use an engine originally form a car.
Truck engines are fine as long as they did not come out of a 3/4 ton or greater....So a nice 6.0, or 6.2 out of an escalade would be legal-as long as you keep all the emission equipment intact, to include the headers/cats. Unless you place CARB certified headers, than obviously that would be ok.
Had an old 77 chevy impala I really enjoyed-so I understand your big car car interest.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Launching!

I do not like small cars at all. You could even call me a Ford guy since that is mostly what I own, but I hate mustangs because they are so small. I totally understand the big car thing.

SWS
Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Launching!

I think what I'm reading here is that the actual installation of an LSx/LQx engine will not be particularly difficult, but maintaining a semblance of emissions legality might be. What does NY DMV say about it?

For example, Nevada DMV says I have to use a newer engine than the chassis, then have to take the serial number of the engine to the appropriate dealer (GM in my case - '02 LS6), and they're supposed to fill out the happily supplied DMV form with all the emissions crap that was on the car from which that engine originated. Then DMV will inspect my car ('87 Mercedes) to see if all that crap is in place and functional. Then they'll test the engine. Then they'll issue the emissions certificate and I'm legal. SNAFU, but that's what it is here. I learned all this with a short visit to the primary NV emissions office here in Las Vegas. Obviously your situation will be different but at least I know what is expected now (and how much of it I want to actually follow).
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to mess with any of that!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 592 Likes on 470 Posts

Default NY swap

Originally Posted by Mmx
Ok profile filled out. I am in Western New York (Buffalo) so California emissions apply. I suppose the first step is finding an in tact engine from 2003.
Hey dude,
I am just north of Buffalo. Lockport area. I believe cars 97 and later, the inspection station plugs into your car computer. You would fail if your "chech engine" light is "on". I am not sure how you would interface the new puter with the old.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Originally Posted by Mmx
Hey dude,
I am just north of Buffalo. Lockport area. I believe cars 97 and later, the inspection station plugs into your car computer. You would fail if your "chech engine" light is "on". I am not sure how you would interface the new puter with the old.

Good luck,
Jim
You shouldn't have to use the old computer at all. On my car I tossed the old computer and ran the GM computer to all the gauges, lights and such. I also hooked up the factory OBD II connector and my scan tool reads the PCM just fine. If I have a fault the check engine light comes on like normal and my code reader sees it, reads live data and clears codes as if the factory engine were still at home.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 592 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
You shouldn't have to use the old computer at all. On my car I tossed the old computer and ran the GM computer to all the gauges, lights and such. I also hooked up the factory OBD II connector and my scan tool reads the PCM just fine. If I have a fault the check engine light comes on like normal and my code reader sees it, reads live data and clears codes as if the factory engine were still at home.
Yeah. but won't the inspection station scanner see they are inspecting a 03 FORD andeverything is GM? Or isn't there any brand specific data while scanning the puter for emissions? I would need to have all emissions in place to pass.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Yeah. but won't the inspection station scanner see they are inspecting a 03 FORD andeverything is GM? Or isn't there any brand specific data while scanning the puter for emissions? I would need to have all emissions in place to pass.
The scanner will know it is a GM engine if the operator checks. I said with all the emissions hardware in place and wired properly it could be done. This way no one would know the difference without lifting the hood or looking under the car. I'm not familiar with what goes on in the **** smog inspections you guys have so I can't say how intense they are. I was merely saying you don't need the Ford computer to run the car, engine, smog equipment or body because most cars are built in modules and the drive train is considered a module and thus separate from the rest of the vehicle. Reprogramming and rewiring the Ford PCM to run the GM engine would kill the project financially and probably make you age like Rip Van Winkle.

From my experience with similar things the best plan to do is stop speculating and drop by the DMV or inspection station, talk to the guys and see what is necessary to make this work and what the rules actually are. Then armed with that knowledge (hopefully printed so it can't change from inspector to inspector) come to us and tell us what parameters you are forced to work within. I'm sure there is a way to do what you want within their parameters, but I don't know how many hoops you will have to go through to get there - or if it would be worth it.

Let us know, now I'm curious.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

There's just something about a land yacht....

Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Default Ok...

I have officially lost my mind... I'm 1000 miles away and have zero desire to license a car in NY but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

I found this very long and boring PDF document on the NY DMV inspection process. I haven't read past page 19 yet but so far it doesn't say anything about using the factory engine although it does talk about having all smog type devices intact, hooked up, operating and not having leaks. There is another document the DMV site referred to that I can't seem to find but this reinforces my point of talking to them and getting documentation about what you are trying to do.

Quick Reply: Lincoln Town Car