Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? About Dorman Billet Fuel Fittings...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question ? About Dorman Billet Fuel Fittings...

With regards to the billet aluminum Dorman or Jeg's or Russell quik-disconnect fuel fittings, how do they come off? In other words, how do you disconnect them from a male barb that they slip on to? They have plastic tabs sticking out of them, that hold the fitting on. How do they come into play? Thanks

Last edited by LS1GMCTruck; 01-19-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel line disconnect tool. It slide in between the plastic tabs and allows you to pull the line off.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
Fuel line disconnect tool. It slide in between the plastic tabs and allows you to pull the line off.
This tool is used both for the factory type fuel fittings release AND the aftermarket billet aluminum ones? I have the billet aluminum fuel fittings with the white plastic lock.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
This tool is used both for the factory type fuel fittings release AND the aftermarket billet aluminum ones? I have the billet aluminum fuel fittings with the white plastic lock.
Yes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

If they look like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640850/

Then you dont need a special tool, just pinch the white tabs and twist it off. The plastic piece will stay on the rail
Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pocket
If they look like this

Then you dont need a special tool, just pinch the white tabs and twist it off. The plastic piece will stay on the rail
I did that exactly one time and it messed up the nylon lock insert. After I reinstalled the fitting, the aluminum section wouldn't stay hooked into the nylon and the pipe, and you could pull the fitting off with a little bit of effort - definitely less force than the average high-performance fuel system can generate.

On the other hand, when I remove it using a disconnect tool I don't have that problem.

You can obviously see what kind of problems could occure if the fitting DOES come off while you're driving.

Now whether those Russell fittings are MADE to be removed by hand, or with the aid of the tool, I'm not exacly sure....but I personally don't want to risk messing another one up!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jonathan_ed3
I did that exactly one time and it messed up the nylon lock insert. After I reinstalled the fitting, the aluminum section wouldn't stay hooked into the nylon and the pipe, and you could pull the fitting off with a little bit of effort - definitely less force than the average high-performance fuel system can generate.

On the other hand, when I remove it using a disconnect tool I don't have that problem.

You can obviously see what kind of problems could occure if the fitting DOES come off while you're driving.

Now whether those Russell fittings are MADE to be removed by hand, or with the aid of the tool, I'm not exacly sure....but I personally don't want to risk messing another one up!
This is why I am asking. I will use the same tool as I use for the other regular fittings. Thanks very much.

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

If the fuel line blows off, the engine will immediately stop running. When the engine stops rotating, the computer knows this, and interupts voltage to the fuel pump. The fuel pump ceases to pump fuel. Correct?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Well I guess the PCM probably will cut power to the fuel pump in an event like you describe, but even if so it's not like the fuel in the line is going to IMMEDIATELY stop spraying out of the fitting that blows off.

IMO, with these fittings in an environment like an engine bay it's just not a risk I'm willing to take when I can use a $3 disconnect tool and maintain the integrity of both the nylon fitting and my life.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pocket
If they look like this

I have found that what Pocket said is true. The fitting(s) I have are like the Summit Racing link he provided. You do not use any type of tool to remove them, like he said...Just pinch the white plastic tabs together & pull the fitting off. I had tryed this initially, just was'nt pulling hard enough & thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks everyone for your input.

Quick Reply: ? About Dorman Billet Fuel Fittings...