Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 mustang Gt lsx swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96gt4.6
Got the oil senders installed, intake, and a good chunk of the shopping list knocked out today. Also got the driveshaft installed! Was a prefect fit with the stock stang shaft coupled to a short Chevy yolk via a conversion u-joint. Going to hopefully get the accessories bolted on tomorrow, radiator in and some small plumbing work done. Will have pics tomorrow evening.

what vehicle can i get that yolk for?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Inbred
what vehicle can i get that yolk for?
When I got mine I told the driveline guru that it was for a 27 spline output shaft and he said they were the same for turbo 350,4l60,4l60e. I used a Precision #355 u-joint mated to the stock mustang shaft and works perfect. Paid like $70 for the yoke and $30 for the u-joint.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
When I got mine I told the driveline guru that it was for a 27 spline output shaft and he said they were the same for turbo 350,4l60,4l60e. I used a Precision #355 u-joint mated to the stock mustang shaft and works perfect. Paid like $70 for the yoke and $30 for the u-joint.
so in other words, i can go to a junk yard and find a driveshaft off a th350, 4l60 or 4l60e and just use the yoke with a conversion u joint?

DS's can be had around $20 in my area
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inbred
so in other words, i can go to a junk yard and find a driveshaft off a th350, 4l60 or 4l60e and just use the yoke with a conversion u joint?

DS's can be had around $20 in my area
The yolk I used came off of a '77 GMC pickup, but as stated previously, 350/700/4l60e's all use the same spline count. Finding a yolk and using the proper joint should be all you need.

Got some major progress made yesterday, going out to hopefully finish the wiring today.

It's been a real process. With Ford using negative triggered relays, and GM positively tirggering theirs, i've had to invert by disassembling the factory fusebox and repinning, in addition to running a lot of extra wiring. But, so far it's going well. I got C1 (Blue) completely done yesterday, in addition to all the electronic throttle and pedal wiring.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

This thing is going to be awesome man, keep up the good work and keep us updated!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Looks like we are at about the same stage, I have the motor/trans out of the car doing the wiring. Hopefully finish up today after a run to the supply house for some "liquid electrical tape". I am getting very anxious to fire this thing up! Good luck w/ your wiring!

P.S. Forgot to ask you, where are you getting your Ford wiring diagrams from? I have a Haynes manual, but nothing matches up as far as wiring colors. Would you be willing to pass them along? Thanks, Mark.

Last edited by 99MUSTANG5.3L; 05-31-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like we are at about the same stage, I have the motor/trans out of the car doing the wiring. Hopefully finish up today after a run to the supply house for some "liquid electrical tape". I am getting very anxious to fire this thing up! Good luck w/ your wiring!

P.S. Forgot to ask you, where are you getting your Ford wiring diagrams from? I have a Haynes manual, but nothing matches up as far as wiring colors. Would you be willing to pass them along? Thanks, Mark.
I work full time as a technician at the local Ford Dealership, so I just borrow the books.

It would be nearly impossible for me to scan in and send you all the pages of the PC/ED manual. Your best (and easiest bet) would be to use:

http://www.alldatadiy.com

You pay only for one vehicle, and get access to everything you need. I use alldata for the GM side of the wiring with no issues at all once you learn where everything is located.

And, without further delay, I give you the video of the test run of the wiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSC7Ygmuyd0

The best part is, due to the simplicity of this year stang, the Airbag system is still connected to the DLC and can be read with no issue with the Ford diagnostic equipment. The network line to the DLC that the GM computer used was on the same line as the PATS (Anti-Theft) system, which is no longer used and disconnected.

Also made sure the computer kicked the fuel pump on and such, all seems to be good! All that's left is to run the O2 wiring, trans wiring, and hookup all the high-current starter and alternator wiring. Get an upper hose fitted, modify and hookup the AOD trans linkage and shifter, and tighten a few bolts here and there!

Here's the code list, I haven't wrote and flashed the tune yet to delete some of these items. The front O2's aren't hooked up yet as well as the Generator control circuits.

Here's the wiring preloomed and almost ready for the covulate tubing to be placed over it to look all spiffy, I routed all the wiring to mimic the Fbody's in case he decides to go with a car intake or such later on:

The wires laying on top of the intake are the trans wires for the neutral safety and shift solenoids that have yet to be run down the back of the trans and connected, the wires laying over the fenders are the O2 wires, and a few that aren't needed from C109 on the passenger side.

The next video posted here will be of it running, POSSIBLY next weekend, late Sunday.

Last edited by 96gt4.6; 05-31-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like we are at about the same stage, I have the motor/trans out of the car doing the wiring.
I'll be interested to see how you are accomplishing this, it would seem to me that you'd need everything in place to get all the length's proper?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

I'll be interested to see how you are accomplishing this, it would seem to me that you'd need everything in place to get all the length's proper?
No worries. I'm leaving the harness pretty much in tact, only cutting wires that need to be made longer. Going to mount the ecm on the pass side in engine compartment. I'm getting close to putting the motor in for last time and I will post up pics then.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

No worries. I'm leaving the harness pretty much in tact, only cutting wires that need to be made longer. Going to mount the ecm on the pass side in engine compartment. I'm getting close to putting the motor in for last time and I will post up pics then.
Ic.

How about running the stock insturmentation? The '99-04's have the digital odometer, that has it's fingers in a little bit of everything.

I'm doing a bid on a '99 conversion right now, and would much appreciate any advice you have to offer.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

Ic.

How about running the stock insturmentation? The '99-04's have the digital odometer, that has it's fingers in a little bit of everything.

I'm doing a bid on a '99 conversion right now, and would much appreciate any advice you have to offer.
That's my goal is to use the factory dash with all gauges functioning properly. From what I've read ford uses a serial data connection for these fuctions that is difficult to tap into, I'm going to look into it more through the alldata.com site. I can't get much useful info from the ford websites, seems too technical. I will keep you posted tho.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Teching In

That's my goal is to use the factory dash with all gauges functioning properly. From what I've read ford uses a serial data connection for these fuctions that is difficult to tap into, I'm going to look into it more through the alldata.com site. I can't get much useful info from the ford websites, seems too technical. I will keep you posted tho.
would it be any easier with the 94-95 dash?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nmcgrawj
would it be any easier with the 94-95 dash?
Wow! You're reading my mind, right after I made that post I got thinking about the possibility of just swapping out the dash. I still haven't checked the alldata site so until I do that I'm not going to change anything. Going out today to hopefully finish up the harness.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also going to be attempting a LQ4 into a 96 gt soon...

Interested to see what you guys figure out on the dash.

Also, has ANYONE tried to put an LS in on the stock k-member?

Are you guys controlling the mustang fan from the GM ecu or using a manual controller?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Launching!

ls motor will bolt in to the stock 4.6 kmember if you mod the stock 4.6 mounts a little bit. It doesnt take much and has been done and there is a how to on here.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

I tried putting my 5.3 on the stock v6 crossmember but it sat too high, I would have needed a 5" cowl hood. I used the AJE crossmember and has lots of room.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the v8 crossmember lower? Trying to maintain the stock crossmember in interest of budget
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Keep the pix commin
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

We should Keep coming. Maybe tomorrow have video of its start up. Going to be close either way have a update tomorrow night.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

I've been looking over the info on alldata and although I'm not used to looking at this type of diagram, there isn't much help there. Really starting to think about swapping the dash for a 94-96. If I do go this route is there a wiring pigtail on the backside of the instrument cluster or is it a ribbon cable?

Quick Reply: 96 mustang Gt lsx swap