Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 mustang Gt lsx swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by callys
Also going to be attempting a LQ4 into a 96 gt soon...

Interested to see what you guys figure out on the dash.

Also, has ANYONE tried to put an LS in on the stock k-member?

Are you guys controlling the mustang fan from the GM ecu or using a manual controller?
The only person i've seen use a stock crossmember was one of our buddies, granted, it was on a Fox body. He used a K member out of a 4.6 GT, with the 4.6 mounts and modified them. Using the truck accessories he had minor hood clearance issues with the stock hood. The 4.6 uses a different K member than a 3.8 did to my knowledge. As far as an SN95 swap, i'm not sure if the stock 4.6K will work, but I would think so.

Yes, on this car I am using the stock CCRM module to control the fans. The Ford ECU swiches on the ground to the cooling fan relays, and so does the GM, so it's simply a matter of finding the appropriate PCM pin and splicing it to the appropriate GM pin. However, depending on which GM PCM you are using, you may have to enable the fan controller in the tune, and possibly also have to pin the GM PCM as anything larger than a van still had a clutch fan.

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
I've been looking over the info on alldata and although I'm not used to looking at this type of diagram, there isn't much help there. Really starting to think about swapping the dash for a 94-96. If I do go this route is there a wiring pigtail on the backside of the instrument cluster or is it a ribbon cable?
You read my mind before I made it back to post. On the upcoming '99 swap I have going, I'm going to do it this way. Swapping in the older cluster is the only way. The '99 and newer stangs use the cluster as a gateway module on the network to share information. Mileage, traction control, ect. are all tied into the cluster. The factory Ford clusters have two connectors on the back of them, really easy to access. I will be using the pigtail to match the '96-'98 cluster i'll be using, and just splicing accordingly into the '99 wiring for power, ground, ect.

As far as the wiring diagrams, you might highly reconsider this swap if you're having issues reading them. This is NOT a swap to take lightly as far as wiring. Well, assuming you're going for FULL integration, all working insturments, ect.

Now...

Made more progress today! The car's wiring integration is completely DONE!!!!! I got all of C2 wired today, and got the transmission all wired up also. All that's left is to install the O2 sensor plug ends and loom it all up nice and neat. However, i'm going to wait till she runs to do that, just in case. I did power up the PCM and datalogger again to make sure all my readings are good, and it looks like so. I have good ECT temp, IAT, and no fault codes.

At this point I have one major item left. I'm needing to find a donor tune file to get the transmission control side of it so that I can create a hybrid tune to run the 60E that this car has. The computer is for an 80E. This is no new feat for us, however for it to work you have to find a donor file with the exact same operating system identification number. This is proving difficult, but i'm still on the hunt.

Also need to get the stock 4R70 shifter installed and modified, and get the shift lever installed on the trans.

Stay tuned, if all goes well, we should have ignition next Sunday.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not having trouble reading the wiring details, I guess I just figured there would be more(better) info there.Example, looking up connector 106,you have to cross reference wire color w/circuit number w/ funtion wich means your looking at 3 different details. I just blame ford!

P.S. What trans dipstick did you use? My f-body dipstick comes out way farther than that, it's too long.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

I'm not having trouble reading the wiring details, I guess I just figured there would be more(better) info there.Example, looking up connector 106,you have to cross reference wire color w/circuit number w/ funtion wich means your looking at 3 different details. I just blame ford!

P.S. What trans dipstick did you use? My f-body dipstick comes out way farther than that, it's too long.
Here's the one I used, you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but this place has super fast shipping. To me that was worth the extra $5 or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/700R4...Q5fAccessories

Better info? lol, get used to the circuit to connector cross referencing. That's about as good as it gets, and that does make for a little hassle no doudt.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the link on the trans dipstick,I'll be ordering one. Also looking at dash clusters on ebay and will prolly get one of those too.

Did you get the 96 fired up yet?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the link on the trans dipstick,I'll be ordering one. Also looking at dash clusters on ebay and will prolly get one of those too.

Did you get the 96 fired up yet?
You will also notice when you get that dipstick, it's designed to go into a bellhousing bolt that doesn't exist on the GEN III motors. It comes with an adapter bracket that moves it to the cylinder head, which after staring at for a minue or two you will figure out.

Haven't got it fired just yet. All the wiring is done and she will fire, but I have to bolt the converter up, tighten all the mount bolts and such, and have a list of other minor things to accomplish before that.

The biggest problem i'm having right now is the tune. In order to run the 60E with an original 80E computer, you have to: A. find a compatible file with an appropriate OS and write entire the computer. or B. Locate a file that has the same OS as the 80E computer and have HP do the segment swap for ya.

Normally this isn't an issue as I've tuned quite a few vehicles and have the appropriate file. But, being this is such a new van computer, and van's were always a step behind on changeover, it's making it tough to find the right file.

I'm currently searching the net and in touch with HP trying to resolve it.

The tune would be the only reason it woudn't fire this weekend.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

Learn something new everyday, I didn't know the 80e used such a different operating system.
I'm gonna work on mine today, have the same stuff to do; bolt up torque converter, drive shaft, headers, and finish hooking up the harness.

I did buy a 94-95 instrument cluster last nite, should be here by Saturday!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

I did buy a 94-95 instrument cluster last nite, should be here by Saturday!
Do u have a thread going for yours? Im really interested to see whats necessary to make that cluster work
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nmcgrawj
Do u have a thread going for yours? Im really interested to see whats necessary to make that cluster work
No not yet, figured I would get it done then post my build. Mine is very similar to this one. As far as the cluster goes I'm pretty sure , you have to use a 3 wire sending unit for the temp, not sure about oil,volts, and fuel(hoping to use what's already there?).
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Teching In

No not yet, figured I would get it done then post my build. Mine is very similar to this one. As far as the cluster goes I'm pretty sure , you have to use a 3 wire sending unit for the temp, not sure about oil,volts, and fuel(hoping to use what's already there?).
in stock form both the oil and temp sender are 1 wire connections on the engine.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nmcgrawj
in stock form both the oil and temp sender are 1 wire connections on the engine.
Are you referring to the ford units? I've read the older camaro(98?) used a 3 wire sending unit for temp that you can use for a gauge. The tach is taken care of in the tune.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Just to clear up the confusion at the top of page 10...

I am using the stock 3.8 k member on my 96.
96-04 are all the same except for actual mounts.

I'm using an ls1 so I don't have clearance issues.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Are you referring to the ford units? I've read the older camaro(98?) used a 3 wire sending unit for temp that you can use for a gauge. The tach is taken care of in the tune.
Yea....im just getting into this. Just wanted to let u know what the stock setup uses...I have a 95 GT.

Are you saying a older camaro 3 wire sending unit can send the same signal as the 1 wire ford unit to get the factory gauge to register?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXsjQoL89Us

What a day. I spent most of the evening trying to figure out why I had no MAF signal, turns out, I had accidentally wired the MAF connector to the '07 pinout, when we're using an older MAF. 3 or so pins were incorrect, which set a MAF correlation code, and put it into reduced power mode.

Got that figred out, now i'm fighting some issues with the tune file, more on that later.

It sounds sick. This video was from my phone, and it's so loud the speaker just distorts. In person, it sounds very impressive.

More updates to come, i'm tired and it's been a long day.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Didn't make a whole lot of progress today. I was having some issues with the tuning, and being as I was using the stock van computer, with an older tune written on it, I wasn't sure it is was functioning properly. So I sprung for a 5.3/4l60e computer that I know is proper and started with it.

I've got some major tuning to do before this thing will even idle proper.

So today, we concentrated on getting the O2's installed so that I can begin the rough tuning process. We fitted a pair of 12 or so inch extensions onto the headers, and welded some bungs in as close to the collector and as far away from the open end of the pipe as possible. The sensor tips are about 8-9" from the pipe open end.

The exhaust will be done up as soon as it's good enough to drive, plus he needed the extension pipes to fit over the headers anyhow.

Now i'm working on wiring up the O2 sensors so I can begin the tuning process.

Here's a short clip from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stV1ElnIYTc
Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

looks and sounds awesome man! I just got my turbo in my 98 GT with my 5.3. Gave it oil and return, installed the water/air intercooler, an built the downpipe... just gotta figure out exactly how I am going to get the rad hooked up in that damn car, lol.

-Garrett
Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds good! I'm still working on finishing up my wiring. I have to get a new battery and probably a new fuel pump.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Launching!

That thing sound healthy. Let'r rip.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

there was a couple pretty cheap A1000 pumps in the classifieds last week, might still be some around.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Got quite a bit accomplished today, despite me injuring myself early morning. I twisted my foot (hopefully) jumping out of a moving truck to correct a fuel spill in the bed. : We'll see how that ends up tomorrow....

I got all the looming underhood done, and got the idle tuning finished up. All that's left is to get the shifter installed, let it down, and do some WOT and driveability tuning.

Getting pretty close!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ps7M9-GfaU[/youtube]

The sound on the video is out of sync, the tach does jump with the motor, not sure what's up with that.

Still need to throw some paint on that air intake also.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

Congrats on getting it running, sounds good! I finally went back to work so work on the car has slowed, I'm having trouble getting the starter grounded well enough to even crank the motor over. I haven't been to the junkyard to pick up the dash harness yet, I'll let you know when I do.

Quick Reply: 96 mustang Gt lsx swap