Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever make their harness from scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
Good luck. If its not new or you modding their personal harness, most wont touch it

Not really. The important bits like the connector side and the PCM terminal are still there and clearly labeled. When using different connectors, wire colors change anyways so unless you build it yourself 100% to stock diagrams, itll never be that way. Let you in on a little secret too: OEM diagrams dont follow OEM circuits all the time. Wire colors, number in the commons, even fuse assignments arent always correct to the schematics

Most of the harnesses I build go through the firewall so only 30-50 wires need a few inches added. The rest get shortened. Truck harnesses are massively long though and even PCM extensions like the pic above can be done with minimal lengths added. IIRC that harness above was set with the PCM 7 feet from the middle of the intake. It is not typical for most swaps

Most look like this

I wish my harness looked that clean when I did it. Mine looked like a rats nest. U did a really good job.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks, after so many it becomes second nature. Do a bunch yourself, can only get better
Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pocket, just curious if the 7 feet was for going through the fender on a thirdgen?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

It is

I prefer to cut a hole under the HVAC box and hide the wiring, but some people want the longer lead for a stock type install like that one. It doesnt make any sense to me why GM made it that long
Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

solder filled-adhesive shrink splices
Where does one get these or does any one have a picture of one
?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I've been working on my LR4 harness. I was doing a crappy job till I read a couple of threads on here and another site and got serious. It started coming together for me when I removed all the sheathing and black tape. I found that I could remove about half of the bulk of the wires and fuse box. Loosely speaking the harness connects the PCM to the transmission and to the gages (through a coupl of connectors). Then you send power to it, constant and keyed (orange and pink). Mine is not done yet but it is looking so much better after I cut out about half of it. If I decided to remove unneeded wires to the PCM I could remove more. It was intimidating until I took off the coverings and could easily trace the wires.

Brian
Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

who is good to have your own harness reworked by?

would not be good to have a messed up harness when you are as bad with wiring as I am!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever make their harness from scratch?