Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD Conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AWD Conversion???

This might sound really out there, but.......Anyone ever done an AWD conversion on a non AWD vehicle? I understand their would be alot of fab work (67 Chevelle) but it would really help hooking the car up. (DR's all the way around) I was thinking S10 box and acle up front. Can these be modified to handle the power of my TT402??

Any info would be apprecited! Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the trail bazer SS oil pan and diff set up. you could probly use 4x4 s-10 steering knuckles with custom cv shafts
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

I was thinking the front clip off of a Astro van or S-10. I would love to do that to my Chevelle.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I looked into doing that on my '69 chev pickup 2wd. THe astro and S10 stuff is all torsion bar though....would have to convert to coilovers or something, somehow.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was thinking of using the same parts. but i dont think they could handle the power output of my engine. anyone know if these parts can be "beefed up"??
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthrea...t=awd+corvette Something like this!!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

id love to have an awd 65 chevelle ls2 turbo
Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been think about using an S10 4x4 frame on my 56 chevy. And run the Chevy silverado SS AWD transfer case. The Astro van subframe might fit and work better for the Chevelle

Last edited by Bo185; 04-20-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a similar option on my car going from a C2 to C4, but, EVERY tuner i've spoken to about says it'd be 2 steps back. Additional weight and worse 60 ft. IMO (and many others) AWD is only beneficial in weather, bad tarmac, and killing 60ft times. If it DOES manage to help you off the line in your situation, you still have an additional 150+ lbs to pull down the track. Before the 330, MIGHT help, after the 330, no good.

It'd be sweet! and I want to on my car...but look at AWD cars 60 ft times and look at a well built Fbody's 60 ft. Even like the heavy hitter EVO's and STI's running >10's have a 1.8x 1.9x.

Either way, I still hope you do it and it's still a possibility for me to. Just stating that it's not the pinnacle drag setup from what I've seen. I could be wrong.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL, twin turbo 402 AWD! that's the funniest thing i've ever heard. That'd be so sick.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
LOL, twin turbo 402 AWD! that's the funniest thing i've ever heard. That'd be so sick.
Parish8 did it in his reg. truck and he got in the 10's with it. http://www.neufamily.org/truck.html

But he wasn't AWD he just launched in 4hi.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
yeah, that is pretty crazy https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...oon-build.html
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bo185
Parish8 did it in his reg. truck and he got in the 10's with it. http://www.neufamily.org/truck.html

But he wasn't AWD he just launched in 4hi.
Sick truck, but didn't it come with 4wd?

Originally Posted by sparkwirez06
Love it.
Is THAT sarcasm? Nice. Cool guy, except we were all talking about awd CONVERSIONS. Not the motor swap.

danimal's ty has been a fav for a while.

AWD in a '67 Chevelle would be sick. Man tough crowd. Awesome idea.

Don't take my opinion personally, just stating it's not optimal. It works, and can work great, BUT there's a reason why ALL of the fastest cars in the world on good pavement are Rwd. It's simple physics.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transfer case information to keep in mind

Full size Trucks
The Borg Warner (BW) model 4485, RPO NR3 transfer case is a 1-speed, full time, all wheel drive (AWD), transfer case. The transfer case provides power to both axles, through an external planetary type differential, which has 2 different sets of pinion gears. The planetary differential provides a 40/60 torque split, front/rear, full time.

The Borg Warner (BW) model 4482 RPO NR4 transfer case is a two-speed, full time 4WD, transfer case. The transfer case has an external planetary type differential, which has two different sets of pinion gears. The planetary differential provides a 40/60 torque split front/rear full time. This means the front and rear propeller shafts are constantly being driven for maximum traction in all conditions.

Trailblazer
The New Venture Gear (NVG) model NV120, RPO NR9 transfer case is a single speed, full-time, all wheel drive (AWD), transfer case that incorporates a front/rear drive differential carrier assembly. The ratio of front/rear drive differential carrier assembly application is split with 33 percent to the front axle and 67 percent to the rear axle under normal conditions, but since the system is torque biased, that ratio can range from a more balanced 45:55 split up to a 25:75 split depending on road conditions and driver demands.

Express Van
The Borg Warner (BW) model 4473 RPO NP3 transfer case is a 1-speed, full time AWD, transfer case. The BW 4473 provides 1 operating mode, 4HI full-time AWD. The transfer case has a planetary differential gear set, which provides a 35 percent/65 percent torque split, front/rear, full time. Both axles are constantly being driven for maximum traction, and the best balance of vehicle handling characteristics under all operating conditions is provided.

Cadillac AWD Northstar V8 Cars (STS) and (SRX)
The Borg Warner (BW) model 4479, transfer case is a 1-speed, full time, all wheel drive (AWD), transfer case. The transfer case provides power to both axles through an external planetary type differential, which has 2 different sets of pinion gears. The planetary differential provides a 40/60 torque split, front/rear, full time. This means both axles are constantly being driven for maximum traction in all conditions. The Borg Warner 4479 transfer cases are available in many variations, depending on the vehicle, model year, engine, and transmission configurations. The variations allow the transfer case to handle different torque loads and other requirements.

Astro Vans
NVG 136-NP4
The NV136 transfer case is an automatic transfer case with two drive ranges. Shifting from rear wheel drive to four wheel drive is done automatically when the transfer case shift control module receives wheel rotating slip information from the speed sensors. The transfer case shift control module then engages the transfer case motor/encoder to position the transfer case from rear to four wheel drive. When the transfer case shift control module receives information that the wheel rotation is the same on both axles, the transfer case shift control module sends position information to the motor/encoder to put the transfer case back into rear wheel drive. The 2HI position is for normal driving with the rear wheels pushing the vehicle. The 4 wheel drive position is for driving through sand, snow, mud, gravel, or heavy rain at normal or slightly below normal speeds.
During normal driving situations, the Auto 4WD mode is active. During the Auto 4WD mode, the transfer case shift control module monitors rear wheel slip speed, based on the inputs from both the front and rear propshaft speed sensors. When the vehicle experiences a rear wheel slip condition, the transfer case shift control module sends a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to an electronic motor, transfer case encoder motor. This motor rotates the transfer case sector shaft, applying a clutch pack. This clutch pack is designed to deliver a variable amount of torque, normally delivered to the rear wheels, and transfers it to the front wheels. Torque is then ramped up to the front wheels, until the front propshaft speed sensor matches that of the rear propshaft speed sensor. Torque is then ramped down, until torque is completely removed from the front wheels or until rear wheel slip is once again detected.

Last edited by CalEditor; 04-21-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Borg Warner's will won't work right for swaps as they function as AWD but are like an open diff. They use the front and rear brakes ie traction control to move the power around. Thats how the model 4482 works in the H2's.

I would use the New Venture NV149 out of the Silverado SS/Escalade its similair to the NV120. http://www.wtfba.org/temp/NVG-149.pdf
Basically it has viscous coupling in it to keep the front spinning.

There is some pretty good info on these over on the truck site. http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/
Old 04-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Coming from a guy that's been on a lot of dsm boards for a while now, well set up rwd > everything.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the support and info! My car isnt gonna be a drag car. IF so, I would tub, and run a TH400 w/ t brake. As far as not being good after 330ft, thats what the 1000hp is for. I should be able to run 10s no problem. without the help of awd, it will still be pretty quick. Maybe low 11s. I just dont know if any awd trans case can handle that kind of power. The fab work and making things fit and work right is the fun part. This car is going to be built for fun. Awd would take it to the next level.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The bw in the express van and the ss silverado are viscous I believe. At least in the two express vans and two ss i deal with.

I will even have an extra awd TC from my 03 express in coming months.

AWd in a true street car is awesome. Its true a well set up rwd car on a PREPPED track will be faster, but if you run real cars on real roads on real street tires, awd rules, period.
I just did a 402 magnacharger ss silverado with a precision convertor. From a stop, or even 20 mph roll across an intersection and a short 300-400 ft run, everything will have issues with it.

Im starting a awd project in november, taking a different route, with a 57 belair.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know what kind of power theses tc can hold? hate to go thew all the work, just to blow pieces all over.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are very very strong. Ive heard they are rated to 1000 hp, but to me thats not a rating. It would depend entirely on the load, weight and traction.

Some of the ss silverado guys have run them with nitroused procharged 427's around 1000hp. They are sure alot stronger then most transmissions. I got a rossler 4l80e for my conversion van. Itll be a decent test at 7000 lbs.....and maybe 800 hp.

Quick Reply: AWD Conversion???