Sponsored by:

LSx engine into series III Jaguar XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx engine into series III Jaguar XJ6

Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm doing research for a future project. I want to swap in an LS engine into a series III Jaguar XJ6 (1982-87). There is a guy who sells a kit for this swap so I'm not worried about getting into the car, but I'm not sure which engine I should use.

I realize that engine swaps are not cheap, but I'm still trying to stay within a reasonable budget ($5,000). While I drool over a proper Corvette LS1, I've been looking into the 5.3 LS-based truck engine.

From what I understand these engines put out respectable power. They're cheap and readily available. If I'm not mistaken the stroke is the same as an LS1, but the truck engine is heavier. The weight issue doesn't concern me much as the original engine (straight-6) is pretty heavy. I was reading about the generation IV engines that have active fuel management, which would be a nice feature.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions.

1) Would the active fuel management work with an LS1 intake? I have to use this intake to clear the hood.

2) Are gen IV engines hard to wire up? I've worked on fuel injection before, but it was on an old Nissan engine.

3) What should I look for when I go to the junkyard to find an engine? I know I need the ECU, wiring harness, and tranny, but is there anything else?

Any constructive comments would be welcome. As I said, right now I'm just in the planning stage.

Thanks,

Darian
Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

1 - changing the intake shouldn't affect anything with the fuel management.
2 - wiring isn't bad at all. get the wiring diagrams and pinouts, search on here. its not hard.
3 - if its a DBW engine you need the pedal, and TAC control module if there is one. the ecm, TAC, pedal, and throttle body should all be from the same vehicle.

probably will need to find an oil pan too, the truck ones are really deep
Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I assume that DBW is "drive by wire," but what does TAC stand for?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TAC is the Throttle Actuator Control - it is the controller for the throttle body.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Got it.

Thanks,

Darian

Quick Reply: LSx engine into series III Jaguar XJ6