Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a Wait4me mail order tune problem? please check in

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, Its nearly impossible to get the tune correct via a mail in order tune. I am new to hp tuners but know my way around it pretty well and If you take 2 cars with identical bolt ons, bottom ends, super/turbo charged/nitrous. I mean same down to the color and you write a custom tune for one and load it in the other it will not perform the same i dont give a damn. My point is that these guys that have done 500000000000000 tune jobs know kind of a ball park of what timing it may like down low and add base air/set tranny parameters/gear changes, BUT you can not do any ve changes/ maf recal/pe table will not be correct/ your car may like 28 degrees of timing and mine will pull kr at 28. But for the most part it will get you started and then see a tuner. Just my imput not trying to start a arguement...
Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jesse needs to come in here & comment. As noted, everone makes mistakes & who knows what information about the set up was discussed. To the OP, hope you get it worked out. Good-luck
Old 05-07-2010, 05:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Getting a tune 100% right is one thing, but when it won't even start and drive down the road, that's another. Then when you call him and ask for help, his response is "it's not my tune, I am the greatest tuner on earth, I wrote programs for GM" That is what makes it even worse.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Jesse needs to come in here & comment. As noted, everone makes mistakes & who knows what information about the set up was discussed. To the OP, hope you get it worked out. Good-luck
I've never seen Jessie posting on this or any other forum, so I doubt, if that will happen. I haven't seen any of the other mail order tuners, post in this thread, either.
I didn't see anybody post any of these bad tunes, preferably as a true BIN file, so anybody could open it, hopefully along with the list of mods, they told him, they had.
A mail order tune can only be as good as the info supplied to the tuner

Last edited by poconojoe; 05-08-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

not that its really worth much, but I had a harness done by jesse. It looked like complete ****. Nothing was routed nicely at all. For instance, starter trigger wires ran from drivers side under the balancer, then to the starter. Could have easily ran it in loom down the backside of the passenger side of the engine. Bulky bulk head wire connections, etc etc. Maybe he is better now? He did a mail order tune on my car. The car ran great. My only beef was my rev limiter was setup so it closed the throttle body(DBW) so it took forever for the car to recover from hitting the limiter. It is now changed to control the limiter by spark/timing
Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by transam150
No, Its nearly impossible to get the tune correct via a mail in order tune. I am new to hp tuners but know my way around it pretty well and If you take 2 cars with identical bolt ons, bottom ends, super/turbo charged/nitrous. I mean same down to the color and you write a custom tune for one and load it in the other it will not perform the same i dont give a damn. My point is that these guys that have done 500000000000000 tune jobs know kind of a ball park of what timing it may like down low and add base air/set tranny parameters/gear changes, BUT you can not do any ve changes/ maf recal/pe table will not be correct/ your car may like 28 degrees of timing and mine will pull kr at 28. But for the most part it will get you started and then see a tuner. Just my imput not trying to start a arguement...
Trying to continue your discussion, surely by correct tune you are talking getting the last few percent of performance out of the tune. I mean, car manufactures sell millions of cars and they sure aren't hand tuning each one of them.

I can see where the more performance mods put on the motor the more demanding the tune. But for the average swap with usually little more than an exhaust and maybe cam it seems like getting something that runs as well as a stocker should be doable.

There is a guy at Pro Systems who is earning quite a reputation for sellling mail order carbs and nailing the set up on the first try. Hard to believe that FI is that much harder to predict than a carb.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Trying to continue your discussion, surely by correct tune you are talking getting the last few percent of performance out of the tune. I mean, car manufactures sell millions of cars and they sure aren't hand tuning each one of them.

I can see where the more performance mods put on the motor the more demanding the tune. But for the average swap with usually little more than an exhaust and maybe cam it seems like getting something that runs as well as a stocker should be doable.

There is a guy at Pro Systems who is earning quite a reputation for sellling mail order carbs and nailing the set up on the first try. Hard to believe that FI is that much harder to predict than a carb.

Thats why you have some fbodys that run 8.5 all the way to 9.3. And no its nearly impossible i dont give a damn. lol
Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by poconojoe
I've never seen Jessie posting on this or any other forum, so I doubt, if that will happen.
Yes, Jesse has posted & does post on this forum.

Originally Posted by poconojoe
A mail order tune can only be as good as the info supplied to the tuner
Again, yes, that was my point when I stated it.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by transam150
It's great that a guy sells pre-tuned carbs. However, the two are as different as night & day. There are far more variables in the PCM tune that are not covered under the term "FI" (fuel injection) & that are not tunable w/ a simple carb installation. The PCM tune is not just a stand alone fuel injector controller. How many carb swaps are emissions legal?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

LS1-450 thank god i found someone to agree with me
Old 05-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steve VanS
We got a PCM re-flash from Jesse, and it worked perfectly in our LS1-T56 swap into a 1986 BMW E30. It worked perfectly, and we have absolutely no complaints.

i just sent out my pcm to jesse to flash for my e36 lsx conversion due to your good result from his tune. plus when i talked to him he sounds like kool
person. i should be getting my pcm next week sometime and i'm positive about it
Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
not that its really worth much, but I had a harness done by jesse. It looked like complete ****. Nothing was routed nicely at all. For instance, starter trigger wires ran from drivers side under the balancer, then to the starter. Could have easily ran it in loom down the backside of the passenger side of the engine.
He might be following the GM wire routing. GM routes the starter wires down under the balancer and back to the starter. Was it a re-worked GM harness or a completely new custom harness?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Jesse reworked my harness and loaded a tune onto the pcm for my 98' LS1 and I have had no problems with it. But just like the cars that come off the assy line, some days are better than others, no one person is flawless all the time. But customer service should always be #1 priority when you call yourself offering a service to the consumer.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had him do a tune for me long ago and it worked fine. He also swapped out my 98 pcm for a 99+ free of charge...I just paid for shipping which I thought was really nice of him to do so.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

I have not had any problem whatsoever with my wait4me performance tune.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stevied916
I had him do a tune for me long ago and it worked fine. He also swapped out my 98 pcm for a 99+ free of charge...I just paid for shipping which I thought was really nice of him to do so.
Yeah, well your 98 PCM is worth at LEAST 3x the amount of 99-02 PCMs right now so I'm sure he (or any tuner) would have been happy to do that.

The cost of 97-98 LS1 PCMs has gotten so high that I don't keep them on hand for resale anymore. You see a 97-98 go cheap here and there on this board or eBay, but any place that deals with them regularly knows that they are getting pretty costly.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why did the 98`s get so expensive, I thought they were the retarded crappy PCM of the bunch. I can`t imagine that there would be a lot of people burning them up in stock cars and increasing the demand for them.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by G-Body
Why did the 98`s get so expensive, I thought they were the retarded crappy PCM of the bunch. ....
They actually are the "retarded crappy PCM"s

They were only available in 2 years worth of cars... the 99-02 PCMs were in cars, trucks, vans, and more. The 97-98 PCMs are the most 'tanked' PCMs during flashing. I have never junked one, but have read about many that have.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
Yeah, well your 98 PCM is worth at LEAST 3x the amount of 99-02 PCMs right now so I'm sure he (or any tuner) would have been happy to do that.

The cost of 97-98 LS1 PCMs has gotten so high that I don't keep them on hand for resale anymore. You see a 97-98 go cheap here and there on this board or eBay, but any place that deals with them regularly knows that they are getting pretty costly.
Well it was worthless for me so it worked out
Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

My tune by Jesse for my C3 LS1 swap has been flawless and perfect. No complaints and runs like a raped ape. Happy customer here, thank god!!

Quick Reply: Have a Wait4me mail order tune problem? please check in