Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 truck wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 truck wiring

O.K., someone here has to have access to a 2005 silverado 2500HD Z71 6.0/4L80 wiring schematic. I am using the under hood fuse/relay box, and also using the instrument cluster from said vehicle in my swap. Using the 05 fuel pump assembly also. I have looked for days to try and find a complete wiring diagram for the truck, even the dealership.

Before you give me the search routine, I have all the plug pin-outs from alldata for the engine harness as well as a few I needed from the dash harness, and I only have a few wires left to root out. Mainly the cluster wiring. I need to know where these wires rout to:

PIN#--WIRE COLOR--CIRCUIT#--FUNCTION
A6 -- Gy -- 1036 -- Class 2 serial data
A10 -- D-Gn/Wh -- 1932 -- Trans shift select switch (park) signal
B4 -- Og -- 1816 -- DIC mode switch signal
B5 --D-Blu -- 894 -- DIC toggle switch signal
B6 -- D-Gn/Wh -- 1358 -- DIC switch signal
B7 -- Ye -- 1327 -- DIC fuel signal

All the other wires in the cluster plug are self explanatory. And I know DIC means driver information center, I just don't know where these wires go to so I can't make the functions in the cluster work.

Also, when using the truck fuel pump assembly, do I need the 5/16ths vaccum line that goes to the intake or can I just run one line (the only fuel line) to the fuel rail since I have emissions deleted in my ECU?

I have no idea how the cluster knows when to turn on the high beam indicator, emergency brake indicator, oil changes, etc. because there are no direct wires linking these functions to the rest of the harness. So someone in the know PLEASE talk to me about the serial data system. Also talk to me about ignition 1, ignition 2, and ignition 3 circuits in the harness.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by niceguy678us; 05-04-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: legibility
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by niceguy678us

All the other wires in the cluster plug are self explanatory. And I know DIC means driver information center, I just don't know where these wires go to so I can't make the functions in the cluster work.
You need the switches that are mounted in the steering wheel to utilize the DIC I believe each switch has a different resistance to ground and the cluster deciphers which button is pressed by the resistance provided by the switch. If you can find out what those resistances are you may be able to utilize a standard momentary/valet type switch with the proper ohm resistor to control the DIC. Be interesting to find out if it would work. You can buy the switches that are on the steering wheels from any dealer maybe you could buy them and flush mount them somewhere on the dash if you cant use a silverado style steering wheel that houses them.

Here are the Diagrams for the Cluster wiring you need as well as the computer data lines diagram. Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ipanel1.pdf (58.4 KB, 1135 views)
Ipanel2.pdf (63.4 KB, 1191 views)
computerdatalines1.pdf (51.9 KB, 802 views)
computerdatalines2.pdf (36.8 KB, 676 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Can you explain how the serial data system works, like if I can delete pieces of it and have it still work my gauge cluster and engine harness? It looks like the cluster grey wire ties into "sp205" on your schematic??? What is that? Sorry there's a delay with me answering this thread, I'm at work and have to pop in and out of here.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you explain how the serial data system works, like if I can delete pieces of it and have it still work my gauge cluster and engine harness? It looks like the cluster grey wire ties into "sp205" on your schematic??? What is that? Sorry there's a delay with me answering this thread, I'm at work and have to pop in and out of here.
You can delete/omit certain components on the serial bus, like the BCM, and whatever is left will work fine. The only device on my car's serial bus is the PCM.

SP items are splice packs, just a junction of wires. The grey wires you're referring to are probably the illumination circuit.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Teching In

So where can I hook the grey serial data line to? Just pick one in the engine harness? The "sp205" that I was referring to was in the wiring maps that were posted up in this thread for the gauge cluster.

Now where does that dang trans shifter wire go to.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

It's not as hard as it looks, just focus in on one circuit at a time and trace it from point A to point B. If that's not possible, there are several options (Speartech, etc.) where you can buy a harness.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

It must really stink being helpless.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Notbody's helpless on this end, I just need to find that person that understands what I'm asking. Someone out there has dealt with this before, I just have to find him/her.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Notbody's helpless on this end, I just need to find that person that understands what I'm asking. Someone out there has dealt with this before, I just have to find him/her.
Irony overload. "I'm not helpless, I just can't do it without help."
Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Teching In

What are you talking about? Look dude if you don't have anything that can help me here, please stop posting in my thread. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

A6 -- Gy -- 1036 -- Class 2 serial data is actually circuit 1086 and just gets run to pin 2 of your Data link connector along with any other circuits labeled "Class 2 serial data"

B4 -- Og -- 1816 -- DIC mode switch signal
B5 --D-Blu -- 894 -- DIC toggle switch signal
B6 -- D-Gn/Wh -- 1358 -- DIC switch signal
B7 -- Ye -- 1327 -- DIC fuel signal

These four all go to the steering wheel as was noted before, to make these work you will need the swtich pack just to check the resistances. For instance: to check the necessary resistor for DIC mode switch signal you will measure resistance from pin D to Pin H on the switch assembly, that will give you the resistor size you need to use for that command. All 4 swtiches then go to the same ground wire.

The way this circuit works is there is a resistor inside the DIC and with no button pushed the DIC will see battery voltage passed the resistor inside the DIC because there isnt a ground source so there will be no voltage consumed by the resistor. when you activate one of the buttons, they each have a different resistance and the voltage consumed by each resistor will be different when split with the resistor inside the DIC.

I will attach the necessary wiring diagram if i can, basically you need to wire yours the same as the factory diagram but you will use a momentary switch and a resistor for each circuit, then they can share a ground.

A10 -- D-Gn/Wh -- 1932 -- Trans shift select switch (park) signal
I cannot find any reference to this circuit anywhere, in any system, it should be related to the PNP -Park/neutral switch and i cant find it.

I have no idea how the cluster knows when to turn on the high beam indicator, emergency brake indicator, oil changes, etc. because there are no direct wires linking these functions to the rest of the harness. So someone in the know PLEASE talk to me about the serial data system.
~this is all done through the serial system, to get each of these item to work, you need to find out what computer controls them, and add that computer to the system, its really as simple as thinking of it as a Physical computer network.

Also talk to me about ignition 1, ignition 2, and ignition 3 circuits in the harness
~This is just an assumption as Porsche refers to this stuff differntly (and im a Porsche Tech, not a GM tech) but
~Ignition 1 would be acessory circuit, as in hot when the key is in accessory, normally this circuit goes dead when you crank the vehicle, you DONT want your PCM switched inputs on this circuit.
~Ignition 2 would be hot in the run position, will normally still lose voltage when cranking
~Ignition 3 would be hot while cranking, this is where you want your PCM/coils/injectors etc to get there power.

You really dont need to worry to much about this ignition power stuff, If it needs constant battery voltage (30 Power) give it a source of fused constant power, always fuse as close to your load as possible. If you need switched power (15 Power) use a relay to give it power when the key is in all on positions. If you really want an accessory position for like a radio without the PCM getting power etc, you could wire in a relay for the accessory position.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Teching In

EXACTLY the info I was looking for.

You guys know anything about the factory fuel pump pull out unit (as far as the three lines). I know one is the fuel feed to the injector rail, the other smaller goes to the vacuum line on the intake, and the fat one goes to the black box/carbon canister thing under the bed of the truck. Does the regulator need the vacuum line to work? Or can I cap the two lines off and just plumb in the one fuel line to the rail?

That dang trans shifter wire has us all stumped LOL?

02navyblueZ, thank you for the wiring diagrams (always good to look at circuits)

Marky522, thank you for the break down of the circuit functions, I really needed to understand the way everything integrates/talks to each other to move further.

Crainholio, thank you for your suggestions.

Quick Reply: 2005 truck wiring