Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBF into a 98-02 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Im not building this as a " drag only car ", its just a high HP build with parts I already have. If you can pull me an 1100 hp LS motor out of the bone yard for cheap I'll do that... hell, If you can find me a pan to intake complete 1100 hp LS engine for 8k I'll do that to.

I'm not sure what TGO is but I don't have anything prostreet and the last car I would ever spend a cent on would be a 3rd gen lol.
Thats not exactly a streetable build, but whatever

This is the thread I was talking about
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/en...i-think-i.html
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is awesome man. More power to you. I can't stand "brand nut swingers" no matter what brand they are supporting. I give respect where it is due and anything that makes 1100+hp is cool in my book.

GL with the build. I look forward to seeing the results.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks like a hoss. Ford Buff in Chevy Stuff.. I like the sound of that XD
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Notch
what do you have ?
2000 Trans Am with a Procharged 408 Stroker
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
Really dont like fords. There are alot of young punk *** kids around here that think they have the baddest mustang when they are just....junk. I was born a chevy person will die a chevy person and I cannot understand any part of a concept of why someone would want to put a pos ford into a fbody.
IMHO the only thing ford has done right is their rear ends. Our 7.5 rear ends are a joke...Chevrolet should have taken some lessons from Ford in that department. Chevrolet should have also taken lessons in financial responsibility then maybe Chevrolet wouldnt be controlled by the government.
THIS is why you have to do it dude!! And to run it on the gm harness will be EXTREMELY bad ***. This whole thread gives me a happy.

My opinion though, is that the LS engine is the only good thing about this chassis. Except maybe the suspension design. Big fan of the gen3, hate the 90's camaros.

I know a thing or two about ford efi, and I'm subscribed. Does the f-body computer use a hall effect cam sensor or vr? They are both available for your ford as factory replacement parts, and they're infinitely clockable.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Whitedevil666
THIS is why you have to do it dude!! And to run it on the gm harness will be EXTREMELY bad ***. This whole thread gives me a happy.
A GM harness will not control that engine. Mainly Fueling and Ignition. He would be better off carbing it and running it standalone.

I know a thing or two about ford efi, and I'm subscribed. Does the f-body computer use a hall effect cam sensor or vr? They are both available for your ford as factory replacement parts, and they're infinitely clockable.
LS1 uses a hall effect type sensor.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I am going to figure out as well. 90% of the factory LS harness will fit onto the SBF. Its really the only reason I even made a post on here is for the tech on the GM electrical once I get it all on the drawing board. The worst part of this build is going to be the headers as someone else mentioned before. I wish I could fit a standard SBF blower under the hood because they are a dime a dozen and super cheap. Putting a 88 or 91 on it with a mild turbo cam should yield nice results and be plenty streetable with no maint.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket

This is the thread I was talking about
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/en...i-think-i.html
Pretty cool if you ask me. He has a stouter motor than I have though. Thats pretty much what I'm building for my Notch.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thats what I am going to figure out as well. 90% of the factory LS harness will fit onto the SBF. Its really the only reason I even made a post on here is for the tech on the GM electrical once I get it all on the drawing board. The worst part of this build is going to be the headers as someone else mentioned before. I wish I could fit a standard SBF blower under the hood because they are a dime a dozen and super cheap. Putting a 88 or 91 on it with a mild turbo cam should yield nice results and be plenty streetable with no maint.
I dont see how the LS harness will work 90% on a ford motor. The ford has a distributor and LS is a DIS. Fueling the ford is a TBI and LS is MPFI. LS relies on CKP and CMP sensors with a reluctor ring being used for the CKP. Then comes things like the VSS. How is that going to wire to the transmission you plan on using? The odometer is electronic and goes through the ECM. Now I can see how you can hook up a tach, water temp, battery voltage, oil pressure (with an aftermarket oil pressure sending unit) etc etc.

If the guy wants to do this I think the best suggestion is to run with a carburetor, points based distributor and no ECM or run a ford ECM setup. He could run TBI with an aftermarket fuel setup such as the one Holley offers.

On a side note. Good luck with a vehicle producing 1100 horsepower and no maintance....
Old 05-11-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

With a custom 24x reluctor on the crank and LSx sensor it should work on any engine

Cam sensor would need to be addressed as well

For the rest, using LSx sensors like MAF/MAP etc should fool the LSx PCM into thinking it was running a chevy

Hammering out a tune depends on how good your tuner is. Early ford EFI systems have been converted over to SBCs before, no reason the largly universal LSx system cant be converted back

If all else fails you can build a stand alone ford harness and splice it into the Fbody wiring like any common swap
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best thing to ever happen to a ford motor.

Good luck with the build man!!

Check out my build....BTW we need more pics, not just posts of saying what you are doing...any pics of the camaro roller?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

This is Fvcking awesome!!!!!!!!

Anyone on here who talks **** about an 1100 horse sbf should shut their mouth and meet you on the line. IMO
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mkh2a8
Get ready, to put your flamesuit on...
If anyone argues about this they are stupid. In most cases a ford doesnt make the power a chevy does, stock for stock but that ford will roll out for sure. Good luck with this man, thats gonna be a flying car.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSmotors and SBF have very similar exhast port spacing right?...maybe use a f-body header, cut the flange off, and weld a SBF one on?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pocket
With a custom 24x reluctor on the crank and LSx sensor it should work on any engine

Cam sensor would need to be addressed as well

For the rest, using LSx sensors like MAF/MAP etc should fool the LSx PCM into thinking it was running a chevy

Hammering out a tune depends on how good your tuner is. Early ford EFI systems have been converted over to SBCs before, no reason the largly universal LSx system cant be converted back

If all else fails you can build a stand alone ford harness and splice it into the Fbody wiring like any common swap
Agree. Use a ford computer if you really want this to work. Bypass the resistor for your ignition. If you plan on 1100 horsepower make sure you get a 9" rear. Might as well get a PST driveshaft not sure what the spline count is on your transmission or how much longer it is over the T56 for our cars. Also if you use a 9" rear end your driveshaft will need to be 1 inch longer than stock.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
Anyone on here who talks **** about an 1100 horse sbf should shut their mouth and meet you on the line. IMO
LOL..Hell yea!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
LSmotors and SBF have very similar exhast port spacing right?...maybe use a f-body header, cut the flange off, and weld a SBF one on?
Yes they are similar. Their exhaust ports are evenly spaced out but I'm not sure of the spacing between the ports.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

I wana know what SBF you built that is making 1100fwhp without the power adder on the motor for $8K? I know a lot about LSX motors but I also know a few things about SBF motors and it isn't that much cheaper than building a LSX motor!! You said you have a dart block 368ci? What heads, duration cam, intake etc. Not saying B.S. yet but I know what it takes to make a SBF run!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hell, If you can find me a pan to intake complete 1100 hp LS engine for 8k I'll do that to.
minus power adder...ready for boost.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...rbo-motor.html
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
Yes they are similar. Their exhaust ports are evenly spaced out but I'm not sure of the spacing between the ports.
try taking a LS head and bolting it to a 302 block....then tell me how GM came up with the design...

Quick Reply: SBF into a 98-02 F-Body