Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBF into a 98-02 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBF into a 98-02 F-Body

Anyone ever tackled a project like this ? Let me set the stage.

I just picked up a low mile SS Camaro roller and I have a shelved EFI small block Ford I would like to put in it. I'm planning on taking out the EFI Harness and running a BS3 with a forward facing elbow. Does anyone make a motor mount for this swap ? I will run a TR-6060 out of mustang so it will fit right up without too much modification. Anyone have any other insight feel free to chime in.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

wow... never seen this one before, I will definitly follow this. But uh... just to beat everyone else to it, because we all know its coming, unless youre just trying to be different.... why not sell that blue oval boat anchor and pick up something LS based And I am actually interested in your reason for doing this. Its just after SOOOOOOOO MANY mustangs swapping to LS motors, im very interested...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, it usually goes the other way sbc (aka gen III/IV) into a mustang
Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Well, here is the motor I plan to swap in

Its a 8.2 deck Dart 368. It made 1132 FWHP with the YSi's tongue hanging out. I plan to do a turbo on it ( maybe an 88 ) because it will help with the whole exhaust routing issues these cars have.

My reasoning for all this:

1) I think this motor will fit better than the LS1 it came with
2) I have the motor built in my possesion
3) It costs 1/2 as much to build this kind of power with a SBF than it does with anything else aside from a Big Block
4) Spite

I have a total of 8k dollars in this SBF Pan to Intake turn key (minus power adder) to make this power, dont let the fancy ceramic coating fool you. If nobody believes me, I'll sell it for that if someone wants it.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I have updates already. I have found 2 mounting options for the motor with the help of my buddy who owns TRZ. He said he can build me a motor plate pretty easily ( he has done a couple SBF/F-body swaps already ) or AJE sells a K-member and Motor mount that can make this happen as well. So thats something to think about.

My next challenge to conquer is the oil pan. My 9qt double sump Canton obviously Isn't going to work. I think Im going to modify a 7qt Canton I have in the shop here and convert it to a rear sump.

I plan on using the stock GM PS pump as well, funny thing is, it looks like it has the correct bolt pattern. Im going to have to make a spacer to bring it out so it will work with my standard Ford belt tract. I also plan to run a low mount 1 wire alternator and hook it directly into the factory harness.

My sheet metal elbow is muti pattern so I can turn it forward and I'm using a 90mm Wilson throttle body that has universal linkage for SBF/LSx, so all i have to do is mount the cable support somewhere off the elbow.

I plan to leave the stock F-body engine harness in the car and just tuck it neatly out of the way so it can be put back to stock. I will just run a BS3 stand alone and steal switch power from each source where I want it to work from in the car. I also plan to mod the cluster ( i.e. take the bulbs out ).
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Launching!

But why? lol, I mean if I had that motor id just build a fox around it.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Its a mild motor, I'm building something bigger for the notch and don't have a real use for this motor anymore. + I picked up a Camaro roller so why not. Im going to start taking pictures here in the next few days. Im going to cut the front sump off my 7qt pan tonight and maybe swing the motor into the car if I get a chance and start checking how good everything fits.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

gonna keep my eye on this build
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get ready, to put your flamesuit on...
Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

flame suit for what ? If you have a problem with a 1100 hp SB then you have major issues.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG...Well I guess anything can happen. Hell our president is a muslim that refuses to wear the American lapel and supports the killing of babies...whats next. Maybe someone will put a 2JZ with 8" fart cans on one while bumping the 2 Fast 2 Furious soundtrack tuned to his green neons under his car.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, that was real mature...

Motor plates and a tubular K-member will fit nearly any engine in there. Generally, using something simply because you have it is a terrible reason to do a project, but that engine isnt exactly saving you $2-300 off a common JY pull. Itll obviously be for a race-only car so why not. Engine brand doesnt really matter for drag cars anyways. Were you the same guy that posted on TGO about swapping a prostreet SBF into a 3rd gen?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
OMG...Well I guess anything can happen. Hell our president is a muslim that refuses to wear the American lapel and supports the killing of babies...whats next. Maybe someone will put a 2JZ with 8" fart cans on one while bumping the 2 Fast 2 Furious soundtrack tuned to his green neons under his car.
ok ???
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket
Yeah, that was real mature...

Motor plates and a tubular K-member will fit nearly any engine in there. Generally, using something simply because you have it is a terrible reason to do a project, but that engine isnt exactly saving you $2-300 off a common JY pull. Itll obviously be for a race-only car so why not. Engine brand doesnt really matter for drag cars anyways. Were you the same guy that posted on TGO about swapping a prostreet SBF into a 3rd gen?
Im not building this as a " drag only car ", its just a high HP build with parts I already have. If you can pull me an 1100 hp LS motor out of the bone yard for cheap I'll do that... hell, If you can find me a pan to intake complete 1100 hp LS engine for 8k I'll do that to.

I'm not sure what TGO is but I don't have anything prostreet and the last car I would ever spend a cent on would be a 3rd gen lol.

I just want to make something clear, I'm not against LS engines, in fact I'm finishing up a nice Heads and Cam T/A for my wife to drive with parts I've bought from this site. I think it would be fun to kick the living crap out of anything that tries to run it only for them to find out it has small Ford power.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

1100 hp f body who gives a damn what kinda motor it is... lol i want see progress...
Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Really dont like fords. There are alot of young punk *** kids around here that think they have the baddest mustang when they are just....junk. I was born a chevy person will die a chevy person and I cannot understand any part of a concept of why someone would want to put a pos ford into a fbody.
IMHO the only thing ford has done right is their rear ends. Our 7.5 rear ends are a joke...Chevrolet should have taken some lessons from Ford in that department. Chevrolet should have also taken lessons in financial responsibility then maybe Chevrolet wouldnt be controlled by the government.

Originally Posted by Bad Notch
If you can pull me an 1100 hp LS motor out of the bone yard for cheap I'll do that... hell, If you can find me a pan to intake complete 1100 hp LS engine for 8k I'll do that to.
So is that 8k with or without the supercharger? I'm assuming without since you are looking to turbocharge it. So I guess you mean a longblock that can hold boost for 8k? Thats easy. Stroked LQ4 block, L92 heads, 8.5 compression ratio with an F3 pushing 26lbs of boost. Should put you in the area you are looking for. Of course you wiill need to get the procharger for it also.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

In about the next 5 days or so I'm going to start cataloging parts and taking pictures. I'm also going to see about maybe using the factory harness and computer and making everything work. I know I can have Innovators West make me a crank trigger balancer and adapt the factory trigger to it pretty easily.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

I said it was 8k minus power adder. The LS stuff is really nice, I like the SBF stuff better though for a high HP application.. they just make power so easy its not even funny. Actually whats nice now about the SBF stuff is so many people are going LSx and ditching their Ford stuff cheap. Good for them, more for me

Last edited by Bad Notch; 05-11-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Well good luck with the build then. I'd break down cost on how to pull the kind of HP you are looking for -cost for the power adder but I think your mind is already made up regardless.

On a side note, I'd love to the opportunity to line em up with ya when you are done
Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

what do you have ?

Quick Reply: SBF into a 98-02 F-Body