Cable Pull
50.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Drive by Wire or Throttle Cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one has mentioned efilive. How do they measure up in this area?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neal64ss
Adding cruise to a cable throttle requires adding cruise module and cable, underhood and switch + wiring.

Adding cruise to a DBW involves a switch and 4 wire hookup from the TAC module.

Not the same ease of install.
Thar's only because you had to install the TAC module already, which isn't required for DBC. You need to install it with DBW, even if you don't want cruise
Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just saying my own opinion here and its already been stated 20 times. DBC all the way. instant response, full control, nothing to worry about, oh did i say instant throttle response? i drive new GMs with DBW and i hate it, i could never get used to it. delay, pisses me off, and im a guy who when i want to go, i want to go, i dont want the computer to tell me when i can go.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had both cable and DBW and quite frankly for street driving I havn't noticed much of any difference!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I rolled this issue around with myself for a while and came to the conclusion that since my car is mostly a street car, I do plan on cruising from time to time in, with a little autocrossing and maybe hit the strip from time to time, DBW made the most sense. My ECM is already DBW, I have both kinds of throttle bodies (LS1/LQ4 style), and I plan on going L92 heads with a 90mm LS3 intake in the long run, so it was a lot cheaper to grab a used LS2 throttle body vs finding an aftermarket 90mm DBC throttle body.

Also, aren't the corvette DBW throttle bodies faster than the truck ones? It was my understanding they had bigger motors in them or something allowing them to be a little faster. I admit I would go with a cable if I wasn't going to use cruise control, or if it was primarily more of a race car.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Why is everyone afraid of using cruise on a cable TB?

Its very simple and well covered

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...driven-tb.html
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...e-ltx-lsx.html
Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02ws666
just saying my own opinion here and its already been stated 20 times. DBC all the way. instant response, full control, nothing to worry about, oh did i say instant throttle response? i drive new GMs with DBW and i hate it, i could never get used to it. delay, pisses me off, and im a guy who when i want to go, i want to go, i dont want the computer to tell me when i can go.
I had exactly this thought when I began researching the swap. Then I came in here and saw people actually using the DBW, and decided to investigate it further. Right now DBW is still in the lead by 2 votes. My (first) swap is going to be a milder engine and an automatic so I am still considering it. At this time I wouldn't want DBW in a car like yours with a stickshift and a lot of mods. Driving a stickshift DBW car has almost never felt right to me. The notable exception being the Solstice turbo. When I drive one of those the DBW never seems to get in the way. The traction control does, but not the DBW. The non turbo Solstice ain't so bad either.

So, Tunercat has more control of the DBW than HPT. Can anyone comment on EFiLive's DBW tuning capabilities?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Launching!

The cost debate is neither here nor there. If you start with a DBW system it sure does seem like an expensive PITA to swap to cable. Vice versa.

What pedals are you using? I'm using an '05 Corvette Pedal and it isn't any bigger than any DBC pedal:

I have seen bigger pedals though ...

I've driven DBW vehicles that seems like the throttle was way crisper than DBC. In fact on the 4x4 boards many of the complaints are that DBW is TOO sensitive.

I'm using DBW on my current buggy project because that's what my engine came with. I highly doubt I'll ever swap it out, especially if I can tune the performance of it. What about changing those tables in HPT causes the ECM to fry???

DBW has so many redundant failsafes its ridiculous. Have you EVER heard of a GM DBW setup defaulting to full throttle? I've only heard of one or two failiures in aftermarket applications and in both of them it defaulted to zero throttle. Here's a video of a cable throttle rig defaultign to full throttle and what can happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efsfw...next=1&index=9

The driver was knocked out and the frame crumpled, pinning the cable against the intake and causing an uncontrolled full throttle situation. This particular incident would have been impossible with DBW.

Currently my vote is for DBw. Not having to fool with cables and linkage during a complete ground up buggy fab is nice.

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN SEEING SOME DBW CALIBRATION TABLES in either HPT or anythign else. Just some screen shots would be nice. I plan on getting HPT whent he time comes.

J. J.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote DBC. no bs, I don't care about cruise control. But thats just me. If I had a newer motor, I'm sure i would go with it cause of the cost to change.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Teching In

I was wondering the same thing. While it does not say one way or another I did find this interesting as well as wiring diagrams for different vehicles:

http://chevythunder.com/drive_by_wire.htm

I think I am going to go with DBW if I can make it work.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used DBW in this car with 2 different setups. I now have the 92MM LS3 style TB and 06 GTO pedal. I have often heard of the throttle lag but I have to say I have not experienced it in this application. I have had DBW in lots of daily drivers and never had any sort of issue.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default DBW vs cable

I'm putting DBW in my '39. It has been a PITA because of failing to limp home mode but still want to use DBW. The throttle pedal is longer with less travel than a usual aftermarket street rod cable pedal. The pedal lends itself to my application much better than a cable pedal. Got a nice smooth firewall too.

Find it a little funny some people "don't want no stinkin electronic pedal" yet they fully embrace fuel injeciton. Of course it took a while for more people to start using F.I. just as DBW will.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

I like the response of my cable pulled throttle...but then when I started my LS project in 1997 "fly-by-wire" was in it's infancy as was the LS design. I have electronic throttle vehicles (2008 HHR SS) and I don't see any problem, it works pretty well...especially in the launch mode.

My throttle still works flawless since I did the Victor Jr. conversion too, maybe even more so. The guy who did the speed density tune on it commented on how awesome the car responded, specifically right off-idle.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use the DBW and love it. I had Speartech build the wiring, including for the cruise control, into my harness. All I had to find to make cruise control work was a turn signal stalk with the right switch. I also have a 2001 Silverado with DBW and I have never noticed any lag with either one of them.

Pat
Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

I dont have any issues with this DBW setup. I have driven numerous driveby wire setups that were very non linear, and some (bmw) you cant drive the car 35mph, the throttle response for the first 15% in those cars is totally outa wack. Lots of cars have horrible throttle feel for a DBW setup, but this one isnt too bad really. I like the lack of idle control valve and cruise module. The ease of plugging in the pedal. I haven't spent much time in the olds I did the swap in yet, but so far im pretty pleased, even with my 'fabbed' pedal. Some careful measuring and angle placement, the stock pedal is right where it should be, had good travel, is WOT when it hits the carpet, all in all it came out nice. Only think I had to do was remove that extra coil return spring thats on the truck pedal. There are 2 springs already on it, one on each side, that last spring was #3, and because this pedal setup is shorter than the truck, less leverage, that spring made it feel too stiff. Couldn't rest your foot on it to keep to steady with out any effort.

So my vote is for a driver or cruiser, something you wanna use all the time DBW, for a race car, purpose built I would think cable is the way to go.

Name:  20140720_162237_zpsc53fcf5f.jpg
Views: 18391
Size:  157.4 KB
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Teching In

I have a few vehicles that have both DBW and DBC. I can say that driving a vehicle with DBW - you loose the touch. Shifts are not accurate. I have stalled the car with DBW a few times as when Im pushing the pedal down - nothing happens and then sometimes learches. Its been to the dealer for a calibration and they say "thats as good as it gets".

I will only do cable or manual operated stuff from here on out.

As for looks, I personally dont think a motor hanging off the side of a throttle body with a few wires poking out looks good at all. I have made numerous DBC set ups look bitchen, and same with rod and bellcrank set ups.

You can easily put a cruse control set up on any system for around $175 if thats a must have...
Amazon.com: Rostra Universal Electronic Cruise Control 250-1223: Automotive Amazon.com: Rostra Universal Electronic Cruise Control 250-1223: Automotive
Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM

Unhappy Drive ByWire Pedal Fault

I have an 08 z06 corvette. It has been converted by RPM Transmissions to a 4L65E Automatic Transmission. It just started this problem. It will show an engine light and Traction control light and go into limp mode. Code shows Pedal fault. Cleared code drove about 30 miles and did it again. Replaced Throttle Pedal, Maybe drove 30-50 miles and did it again. I have cleared the code but I know the question is when not if. Anyone had this problem or how hard is it to convert from DBW to DBC. HELP!!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

I've driven both and I really prefer the cable to the dbw throttle. I've got a a sensitive foot and I like the simple reliability of it. I'm telling the engine what to do not the computer. Yes, I'm an old soul.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:36 PM

Do you know how hard or expensive this conversion would be on my 08 z06 vette
Old 05-11-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

I would try and search the forums, I don't know exactly all you would need as all c5-c6's are dbw but it would be worth it. I imagine that there would have to be a little fabrication involved. Someone more familiar with the tuning software needs to chime in. Maybe start a thread in the conversions or fabrication forums?

Quick Reply: Drive by Wire or Throttle Cable