Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Nova LQ9 alternator relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 72 Nova LQ9 alternator relocation?

It does not look like my hood is going to be able to close. The alternator is too high. I am not ready for the hood to be on yet, but wanted to get some ideas of what I might have to do. I think I have read that there are some relocation brackets. I did not know which one would work. The other option is a cowl hood. I think I would like to keep the stock hood. Does anyone know which alt bracket works and where to get it?
Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lq9 in my trans am has the alternator on the bottom right side of the engine. i think mine was relocated when i bought it. but you can get it off of any local store like autozone or etc. i just replaced my alternator and when i bought it they bracket came with it so im pretty sure they cary them anywhere and you just have to ask if its the stock bracket or the relocated one. let me know what you find out please.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Kwik performance makes a high drivers side alternator bracket in the truck spacing. I've seen other drill the block for the f body mount and space it out for the truck too.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Teching In

yea but his alternator is already to high he needs the lower one. which if im not mistaken is the one ive got right now.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Check out the dimensions, the Kwik bracket is much lower than the LQ9, similar to the vette. Also has provision for power steering pump.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you have a stock steel hood? I know that I originally thought that the alternator would for sure hit my hoood, but it didn't, it actually even had 3/4" clearance... looks can be deceiving! I would recommend just mocking the hood on there before you decide to buy a (likely costly) relocation kit or different accessory drive...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frojoe
Do you have a stock steel hood? I know that I originally thought that the alternator would for sure hit my hoood, but it didn't, it actually even had 3/4" clearance... looks can be deceiving! I would recommend just mocking the hood on there before you decide to buy a (likely costly) relocation kit or different accessory drive...
Yes, it is a stock hood. I plan to check first, but wanted to get an idea of what I might have to do. Frojoe, it looks like yours fit no problem.
I have read about someone cutting the stock truck bracket to make it work. I am still a few weeks before i will be mocking it up.
Frojoe, are you making any progress?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

My comment was assuming that the LQ4 & LQ9 have the bracket as well as alternator (I don't know why they wouldn't)... I thought the corner of the alternator would hit or the throttle body top would hit, but turns out the only thing that prevented the stock steel hood from closing was one of the the plastic mounting bosses for the engine cover.

I zipped about 1/2" off the top of the boss at the front of the intake (completely removing the brass insert portion) and the hood closed, didn't even need to bang or trim the cross-braces underneath the hood!

As for my build, I've made some mental progress, and have a few things up my sleeve that you all can watch for hopefully in the coming weeks...

Cheers,
Joe
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kwikperf.com is your best and cheapest option next to fabbing your own. I used one on my Impala-SS 5.3.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Teching In

I am not sure what engine mounts you are using but some position the motor higher in the engine bay than others. If you run into clearance issues with the stock brackets it may mean your set-up sits higher than frojoe's.

I have a LQ4 in my '72 Nova and I went with the Kwik Performance set up. It is exactly what I wanted and was way cheaper than anything else available. It lines up with the truck pulleys and water pump and if you ever want to add A/C it is a separate bracket he sells. Additionally if you ever change to an LS intake and water pump you just replace the spacers in between the brackets and it repositions everything to the correct depth (rather and having to buy all new brackets).

I have ample clearance with my hood. My PS pump runs a different size pulley so belt selection took awhile but it comes with suggested lengths that should work.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up getting a cheap 2001-05 s-10/sonoma/jimmy/bravado alternator. It fits perfect and is about 2" shorter than the one off the LQ9, but it has a 4 plug connecter vs the 2 plug on my harness. My buddy said this can still work. I wanted know if anyone else has done this, and how did they wire it??
Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Brown wire to the battery with a 470ohm resistor and done I'm still wondering why the lq9 alternator did not fit under the stock hood mines did.

Quick Reply: 72 Nova LQ9 alternator relocation?