Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L / 4L60e Swap Is Driving Me Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3L / 4L60e Swap Is Driving Me Nuts!

Here's a good one for you to think about. Its blowing my mind...

History: I have a 2005 5.3L, 2005 4L60e, 2004 4.8L PCM and harness is probably from a 2005 5.3L Suburban. I have always had spurious errors with this set-up, most notibly a #8 misfire (P0308) or #8 primary/secondary coil/ignition failure (P0358) and the alternator would charge at 12.9v for any RPM. In any case the errors would always come and go enough to make me nuts.

This past week I decided to try a new PCM, so I picked up a 2006 PCM from a Silverado 1500. I deleted VATS and fired it up. It runs smooth and everything seems normal, even the alternator is charging at 14.7v.

But... I notice 2 codes that I did not have previously:

P0740 TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit

P02761 Torque Convertor Clutch Pressure Control Soenoid Control Circuit/Open

I take it for a test drive and it acts as if I have only half the usualy HP. It drives/shifts fine, just takes longer to get to 60 mph.

After thinking about it I decided to load the previous (2004) program into the new (2006) PCM. It starts fine, throws the two tranny codes, and volts are back to 12.9v. I take it for a test drive and it drives fine, power back to normal.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default same issue

Try putting it in low gear. My shifts manually but not automatically in drive. I don't think I am powering something for the transmission. Maybe the same for you.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that the gas pedal from 03-05 will achieve full throttle opening at half pedal sweep.

use a 06 calibration and now the pedal requires full sweep for full throttle opening.

this could be your 'down on power' issue.

as for misfire, coil circuit & trans codes, sounds like you have some wiring issues or loose connection someplace.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're having TCC Lockup issues it will effect performance and acceleration. I'd say to clear the codes and see if they come back, if they do then you know you have an issue. The charging issue sounds like a PCM or a tune issue since it changed once you reflashed the PCM. As far as the coil issue I'd check the wiring and the coil itself. Maybe try swapping it with another cylinder and see what happens. If the problem changes to the different cylinder you know you have a coil issue. If it doesn't you know it's something in the wiring.

Quick Reply: 5.3L / 4L60e Swap Is Driving Me Nuts!