Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question-LS1 in to 911 swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question-LS1 in to 911 swap

I'm going to be doing a LS1 swap in to my '89 911. I kind of rushed in to the decision and picked up a LS1 block with about 75K on it and then bought heads later. My question is this, I've worked on SBC's for my whole life but everything I've read so far says that the rockers, lifters and rods are not reusable and that they are not interchangeable from engine to engine. Is this really the case? I have a set of all three from a fresh engine that the prev. owner pulled to install upgrades. I'm content with stock but worried now that I can't use half of the stuff I've collected so far.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Rods can be used, just have them magged and add new ARP bolts.
Rockers, if in good shape can be used.
Lifters, I'd probably get new, along w/ the new design lifter buckets, and a cam for your goals.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Rods can be used, just have them magged and add new ARP bolts.
Rockers, if in good shape can be used.
Lifters, I'd probably get new, along w/ the new design lifter buckets, and a cam for your goals.
I think the OP meant pushrods, not connecting rods. Sounds like he's not taking the shortblock apart, and just wants to slap the heads on.

I've never heard that you can't reuse pushrods/rocker arms/lifters, but I am not an expert.

I think you can get chrome-moly pushrods for like $100, so I'd replace 'em. If you want to reuse them, at least make sure to roll them on a (very flat) sheet of glass to detect if any are slightly bent.

If it were me, I'd get new rocker arms. There were a lot of reports of stock rocker arms losing needle bearings on early LS1s (not sure if the issues have been fixed yet). Odds are you could reuse the rocker arms, but why take the chance, especially if they already have 75k miles on them.

- Miles

PS: Good luck on your engine swap! I have a '99 C5 I put a 402 in, but I'm looking to get an AWD 996 with a blown engine to swap an LS1 into.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Yeah, sorry, pushrods. Those, rockers and lifters all out of a 2009 Camaro. I'm not fretting about the cost of the pushrods but didn't really want to swap out the cam if I didn't have to. I just didn't realize how much the accessories were going to run me for the LS1 before I started buying "parts" so now I'm wondering if I should just look for a complete engine.

Quick Reply: Newbie question-LS1 in to 911 swap