Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ly6 or LQ4/LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't really find what i'm looking for and maybe you guys can help me out here.

Ly6 and L92. Is L92 an engine or is it just the heads that come on and LY6? I'm going to put the Ly6 in my Malibu or a grand national roller I'm trying to trade my Malibu for. For better flow in an intake and potential to make more power should i swap my intake for a LS3 intake? I'm guessing my TB from the truck intake will fit on the LS3 intake. I'm planning on running a turbo but for now to get the swap done i'm just going to put the motor and 4L80E in and drive it like while i save up for the turbo.

Yes i am very new and have been looking for the info but haven't found what i'm looking for. I'm sure the info is in front of me but for whatever reason i can't seem to find it. My flame suit is on so i'll take all criticism with a grain of salt.If any of you guys have links to what I'm looking for I'm more then happy to read them and figure it out but a direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Austin
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the l92 can be both, there is an engine that is called a l92 it is a 6.2l. The L92 heads are similiar to the ls3 heads. The ly6 has the l92 heads on it but it is a 6.0l. I am not sure if the truck tb works on the ls3, seems like I read somewhere that it was a little smaller than the ls3, but I can not remember for sure.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:12 AM
On The Tree

half the guys that make some of these comments have no clue to actual valve timing events, whats optimal, and whats not...

People are still using carbs and not utilizing fuel injection either....I know, this new fangled magic is scary!
Don't mind me...I’m just biased and tend to embrace technology, the low end and top end efficiency of VVT can’t be denied. VVT CAM will better compliment a stock stall
Get it in and get it running with Lt's and an after market tune and see what you dyno and run in the 1/4....than decide if you want to loose your technologic advantage with the VVT.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_24.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...s_engines.html
Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Brian VVT is great, and so is EFI, but not all have the funds to run the technology - this is in the Conversion and Hybrid forum after all.
I think most will agree that the tech for VVT is awesome, and does work well on mild builds, but the fact remains that once you start pushing the envelope in search of more power the VVT becomes a hinderance. You CANNOT physically fit a big cam into an engine with VVT and maintain adequate P toV clearence. there is no solid conection from the cam iteslf to rest of the rotating assy, and therefore if P toV is close you are gambling with contact.
Lastly to get the TRUE benfits of VVT(Variable Valve Timing), it would actually have to be variable valve timing, not variable CAM timing, as it really is. If the system allowed independant intake and exhaust phasing then it would really be EFFECTIVE.
When I start buying my cams from you, you can talk about valve events to me.
Barrett
Flame away

Last edited by 3pedals; 07-03-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

the truck tb will work on the ls3 intake..dont kno if its any smaller tho....
Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

That's what i was thinking, i think i may just see if my truck intake will fit under the cowl hood. Going to keep the VVT for now and see how i like it. things will probably change with the turbo but well see. Thanks for answering my questions guys very much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Touche Barrett, I'm not going to flame you, however he's already got the EFI and VVT so thats a mute point regarding funds.... I'm just going to continue to watch people build 500hp and get good mpg on these VVT engines, I agree the use of true VVT instead of cam phasing would have been better. Also I'm a hybrid builder myself and 500 hp from a cam swap Lt's and a tune while maintaining low end grunt sounds mighty nice and with in a reasonable budget- especially if I had an LY6 with said VVT, admittedly the cam is more expensive and the VVT tuners are few at this time. Also the OP stated 500hp, thats not terrible mild-but well with in the VVt engine and current cam choices.
For a non extreme build the cam choices and power developed thus far seems like a great choice-while maintaining that wonderful around town pull.
I previously had the 2jzgte engine in a 3k lb car, loved the 320RWHP on 12lbs of boost, loved the 16lb setting also, but I found driving my truck around was more pleasurable. The top end pull of the engine was a blast but down low it was not very fun at all-so now my cars getting an Ls1. My point being-Low end grunt is a blast! and having both is even better.

Last edited by brian g; 07-05-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

At what point do you start running into piston-valve interferance with a cam swap on an LY6? There's probably no right answer for that since it would depend on how you utilize the VVT, but are there any rules of thumb? Can you check p-v clearance using traditional methods?

Does the LY6 use active fuel management (cylinder shutoff)? *EDIT* Answer is no.

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 08-05-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Well were starting to go some where now I traded my BBC malibu for a very nice Grand national roller yesterday so now i'm starting to collect part for the build. Going to put a came in it for now, but sure if i'm gonna use a mast or comp cam. I'm going to run the Ly6/4L80E combo and get the tune done and have it running so i know what i got. This spring after i save some coin and do more research the motor will come out and get arp fasteners, thicker head gasket and a front mount turbo. There are a few build on here that are pretty nice set ups that i'll be copying. Once i get the parts on sight the build will start and i'll start a thread on it. Thanks for all the input so far

Quick Reply: Ly6 or LQ4/LQ9