Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
This is the 15x10 with 5.5 bs with a 28x12.50 et street.
Looks good! So you had to roll the lips to fit the 12.50's then? I'll have to consider rolling mine prior to paint. Thanks for the pic.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, any 10" tire you will have to. It is really a good idea on any wide tire if you dont want them cut up. You can either cut it then seal the seam or just roll it upwards.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, any 10" tire you will have to. It is really a good idea on any wide tire if you dont want them cut up. You can either cut it then seal the seam or just roll it upwards.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Here's how the trunk turned out after I sealed the sheetmetal with fireproof caulk and spatter painted it. I'll probably touch it up in a few thin places but I ran out of spatter paint and so did Autozone.

Name:  P1050951.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  89.9 KB

Once the rear bars, fuel cell, battery and nitrous bottle go in, this will be mostly hidden so I think it'll look just fine. I also adjusted my doors a little better today and got both fenders back on and mostly adjusted. I'm just putting the front end back together good enough to trailer the car to have the six point installed.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like your progressing right along, looks good! I like the looks of the rear panel and may consider it for my car. Even though mine will be for cosmetics more that function. Great job.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I always admired your car in your signature when I first joined LS1Tech.com I just check out your artical in Camaro Performers. Good job. Glad to see you got some ink on your ride.
Thanks man, it was very flattering to have my car chosen to be in that mag. The shoot was alot of fun as well. Steven Kim is and amazing photographer, he made my old turd look great. When I put the ls motor in the car back in 06 there wasn't near the aftermarket that there is now. I had to built alot of parts or modify stock parts to work. Now you can open the catalog and buy whatever you want to get it in there. Pacesetter headers were about the only header that would work with some heating and bending. Then having them coated ran about the price that these run. Motor mount plates weren't really out so I cut and welded the stock mounts from a 4th gen. The crossmember is a stock th350 turned 180 with a hand built mount on the other side. I cut the driveshaft and my dad and I made a jig to shorten it 2" and rewelded it. The only part that I was really able to buy was the clutch master cylinder mount from aps. I used stock acessories and notched the front subframe. If I had it to do again I would do a few things differently knowing what I know now, but nonetheless it is a very fast, fun, and very reliable car to drive that has gotten in the mid 20's mpg.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Looks like your progressing right along, looks good! I like the looks of the rear panel and may consider it for my car. Even though mine will be for cosmetics more that function. Great job.
Thanks man. Yeah, it does add a little more cosmetic appeal to the trunk area I guess since you're no longer seeing the rear seat framework.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just another quick update. I called this morning and made an appointment to drop my car off to start the roll bar installation on January 14th. Since that day is coming up pretty quickly I wanted to get some front end sheet metal back on the car to enclose and cover the engine compartment just in case it would decide to rain that day. Yes, it does rain in AZ and it’ll be a three hour trailer ride….LOL. So I spent some time today putting the stock hood and upper valance back on and doing my best to line that stuff up halfway decent. I also put some interior stuff back in place so they’ll have some reference for how the bars need to be bent. I also spun the car around so it’s facing outward to make it easier to load it on the trailer. Oh, and I called Summit and ordered a winch for my trailer to also make loading a ton easier. Anyway, nothing too spectacular happened today but I couldn’t resist snapping a few shots since the car hasn’t looked this complete in quite a while….even if it’s only temporary. You can never have too many pics, right?

Name:  P1050954.jpg
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  P1050955.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  116.9 KB

Name:  P1050957.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  105.9 KB
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK guys......I need some opinions here. As the time gets closer to painting this car, I'm having second thoughts on my color choice of Atomic Orange Metallic. I still love the color, but I'm afraid the car may be a little "out of date" in 5-10 years due to the faddish nature of this new color. My new idea is Cyber Gray Metallic with the same black stripes, which would make them a little more subtle and the darker color would better set off the chrome bumpers/trim and polished aluminum wheels.

Here's a shot I found that actually shows both colors in the same picture. I think the Cyber Gray would "age" much better because no matter what they call this particular shade, it 20 years it'll still be a dark gray metallic. So, what do you think? I think both would look great!

Name:  CYBER-4LT-CPE-7.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  167.7 KB
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

I say go with the gray. I had a friend that had a "charcoal" gray '73 and it was badass even 22 years ago. I say you paint it Speedway blue with white stripes! Sorry to be biased but thats the color of my 69 camaro. I never liked blue but that color stands out. Especially in the sun.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

I like the cyber grey over the orange.

On older muscle cars I think the aztec silver that came stock looks best. Add some black racing stripes and you have a timeless look- if you are into stripes.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for grey. It'll never look dated like the orange eventually will.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

I would do the gray or a silver. Stripes are a must on these cars. Without them the car will look funny.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

I would do the gray or a silver. Stripes are a must on these cars. Without them the car will look funny.
This guy has good taste! I think I said the same above :-)
Old 01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Gary,
car looks good. I bet you will enjoy having the added room in the garage with the car together.

Jim
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
This guy has good taste! I think I said the same above :-)
I just looked and realized this. We both have good taste, lol. I think almost any color will look good if the car is done right with nice wheels and stripes. I hate green, but have seen several seconds gens done in green with black stripes or white and it looks good. If I could do my car any other color it would be red with white stripes or red with black stripes. My car has had this color combo since its birth in 97 and repainted in 01. Everyone knows the car like this and if I changed it then it wouldn't be the same car. Let us know what color you decide.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the input so far guys. The majority of the responses I got here and on nastyz28 went along with my general feelings and what all my friends have been saying as well. So, I went to a Chevy dealership yesterday to look at the Cyber Gray in person. It’s every bit as nice in person as it is in the pictures I’ve found on the net. The only issue I may have with it is that it has a heavy blue flake in it. So in certain lighting it kinda has a blue glow to it. Other than that I really like the color and think it will be different than the typical silver while not being too extreme. Like I said before, I’m certain this car would look awesome in Atomic Orange with black stripes, but I’m just not sure how long I’d be happy with it when the appeal of the color wears off. As my one buddy puts it, “You don’t want to end up with a teal Chevelle” (ask him how he knows…LOL). I guess the God’s honest truth is I won’t have made up my mind 100% on the color until the very last day before it’s rolled in to the booth, but I’m pretty sure the orange is out for now. Now it’s just about picking a shade of gray or silver that I can live with……and the black stripes are definitely still going on whatever final color I choose. I’m hoping I’ll have the car ready to be dropped off for paint by March or April this year.

This weekend’s project involved getting my trailer ready to transport the car to Phoenix on Friday to drop it off at the chassis shop. I’m also going to be taking the car by a paint and body shop I’ve had my eye on up there to get an estimate on the paint job. I’ve managed to get the car on the trailer one time before without a winch, but that’s not an experience I want to relive, especially once the car is painted. So last week I ordered an S5000 Superwinch from Summit. This weekend I mounted it and a battery on the trailer. I bought a small truck tool box from Lowes to mount it inside of to protect it from the weather and hopefully deter theft, plus it gives me a place on the trailer to stash my ratchet straps a maybe a few essential tools. I’m real happy with how it turned out. The toolbox is only 12 inches deep from front to back so it doesn’t take up much room at the front of the trailer and it’s narrow enough at the bottom that it clears my forward tie downs.

Name:  P1050961.jpg
Size:  215.2 KB
Name:  P1050959.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  178.0 KB
Name:  P1050958.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  219.7 KB
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Subscribed
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Name:  grille02.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  711.1 KB

Go with Cyber grey - I think the blue flake in it is kick ***. If i would order a new Vette - it would be cyber grey metallic....
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
FormerVendor

There are some nice BMW, Lambo, and Ferrari grays also

Mine was painted Mitsu Evo Gray
Attached Thumbnails 1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap-482010v1.jpg   1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap-ls7fd.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Go with Cyber grey - I think the blue flake in it is kick ***. If i would order a new Vette - it would be cyber grey metallic....
Originally Posted by norcalauto
There are some nice BMW, Lambo, and Ferrari grays also

Mine was painted Mitsu Evo Gray

Thanks for the pics guys. All very cool colors and give me lots more to think about! Still not sure what I'll do yet, but keep the options coming. I'm definately back open to suggestion at this point!

Quick Reply: 1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap