Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish350
man, spending time on little details like that is whats gonna set this thing apart. not to mention the other 13 pages of work haha
Thanks man.....that's my hope at least. It's those little things that would bug me later if I didn't do them. I'm definately not building a show car, but want to end up with a real clean street/strip car I can be proud of.

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Looking good. The glasstek hoods are very high quality. I had a 4" on my s10 and it took very little prep work for paint. I installed my dzus on it, scuffed it, primed it once, blocked it and it was ready for paint. I think the inner fender you have is from a later model like 78-81 ish. They have a shorter mounting bracket with the holes further down. My 72 is the same as your 73. The progress is looking great. My car is back on the road after a 2 year upgrade with the brakes and some one small stuff. I am thinking about doing a similar cage on mine I like the door bars and overall look of yours.
Thanks Josh. I'm real impressed with the Glasstek quality too, and I personally prefer the cowl design over Harwoods. I weighed it and my stock flat hood yesterday and it's about 28lbs lighter than the steel one, so it has the definate weight advantage of fiberglass, but it's no lightweight either. Thats good info about the inner fender. I figured someone would eventually recognize what year it was from. Definately had me curious. Seems like it's gonna work out OK. I just need to plug the other two holes off. Glad you got your car back together. If you do go for a cage it's definatley worth the money to go for something custom bent and chromoly is of course a ton lighter if you go that route too.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a few more things done today before the game. First I installed my inner fenders and got the fuel pressure regulator mounted. Then I was able to secure the fuel lines and heater hoses to the passenger side. Here’s a few shots.

Name:  P1060050.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  190.6 KB
Name:  P1060048.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  168.5 KB
Name:  P1060047.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  145.1 KB

Next I started working on stripping some front end sheet metal. The paint shop I’m thinking of using told me not to worry about doing any more stripping on the car; they would handle the rest of it. But what I’m concerned about is the back sides of the panels where the factory paint is thin at best and the panel edges where they seam together with one another. These seem like really good places for rust to start (or should I say continue), so I’m taking care of these areas myself. The plan is to get it all stripped and then use POR-15 on the back sides of the panels. Here are some spots on the insides of the upper and lower valance where I have some surface rust issues as well as on the pieces that sandwich between that support the outer bumper brackets.

Name:  P1060046.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  140.6 KB
Name:  P1060041.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  141.9 KB
Name:  P1060040.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  230.5 KB
Name:  P1060039.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  241.8 KB
Name:  P1060044.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  104.6 KB

A wire wheel takes off the top layer of paint on the exterior of the panels but only heats and smears the original lacquer beneath it. I always end up using a stripping disc on my angle grinder to remove the lacquer and sand blast the really hard to get areas. This has been the routine for the whole car so far. Here's what the upper looked like after only wire wheeling.

Name:  P1060043.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  249.2 KB

By about 3pm I was out of sand, stripping discs, and time. In the end I got the lower valance and both bumper pieces fully stripped but still have a lot of work to do on the back side of the upper valance. Oh well, progress is progress no matter how slow.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good bro
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Gary,
Looks good. I was hoping to have a Diversion tig to everdure/braze the back side of all my fender/valances braces. I also wanted to braze the exterior seam near the directional lights too Might be worth taking it to a weld shop to ensue you NEVER have rust creeping in the seams. Just a thought.

Jim
Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TFord
looking good bro
Thanks man.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Gary,
Looks good. I was hoping to have a Diversion tig to everdure/braze the back side of all my fender/valances braces. I also wanted to braze the exterior seam near the directional lights too Might be worth taking it to a weld shop to ensue you NEVER have rust creeping in the seams. Just a thought.

Jim
Thanks Jim. That's a good thought. I may have to consider doing something like that. All I know is my most recent goal was to drop the car off at a paint shop by President's day weekend and I know now that aint happening. There's just too much left to do before I'm at that stage.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow! Amazing build thread! Lots of good info in here. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Wow! Amazing build thread! Lots of good info in here. Keep up the good work!
Thanks man. I keep plugging along.....one weekend at a time....LOL.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love the build, very thorough, I would love to do one of these cars someday.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work!!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Very nice build. My car is at FRE now Clay+Jeff are building a bar for it,great guys workman ship is top notch.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Very nice build. The satisfaction of the done project could never be equaled by that of having the work done by someone else. It can take a lot of will power to not cut corners just to get it on the road. You will be very glad you spent all the time on the details now when you are out enjoying it at the track. Won't be long now!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Love the build, very thorough, I would love to do one of these cars someday.
Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Nice work!!
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback very much.

Originally Posted by Smo's04Gto
Very nice build. My car is at FRE now Clay+Jeff are building a bar for it,great guys workman ship is top notch.
Thanks man! You won't be disappointed with the quality of their work! It's not very often someone actually exceeds my expectations, but they did!

Originally Posted by Anti-Vnm
Very nice build. The satisfaction of the done project could never be equaled by that of having the work done by someone else. It can take a lot of will power to not cut corners just to get it on the road. You will be very glad you spent all the time on the details now when you are out enjoying it at the track. Won't be long now!
Thanks Aaron! It is definitely tough at times to keep after all the small stuff, but in the end I'm sure it'll be worth it. Plus things have recently been coming together pretty well and I'm starting to catch faint glimpses of what the end result will be. Of course nothing will replace that first tire devastating burnout..........but it too will come.....LOL.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Default Alternator wiring

Hey man great build. I read through almost every page last night and I don't think anyone responded about your wiring and how to wire the alternator.

I have been wiring race cars and classics for over 15 years. The best way to wire a car with the batter in the trunk is to run a #8 or #6 wire from the alternator directly to the battery using marine type battery terminals with the wing nut on the top. You can also go to the battery side of the master disconnect switch along with the main battery cable. When you shut the master disconnect off it will instantly kill the car and all the electrical components. (I go to the battery with the wing nuts as its easier to disconnect the alternator for any kind of servicing or testing).

As for battery cable bigger is always better and like to use #2 through 2awg. If you have an 18 wheeler supply/parts store in your area you can usually find that size cable on a reel in red for positive and black for negative. Along with red and black heat shrink for the large cable that has the guugh in it that makes it corrosion proof. They will also have all the different cable ends you will need. If you don't have a way to crimp the ends on you can use a propane torch and some large solder and heat the connector up till its glowing in a vice and fill it half full of solder and then insert the stripped cable (careful not to burn yourself).

As far as your factory wiring. If it is in good shape and has not been butchered by radio installers then use it. Remember this amperage demand is what determines the size of the wire. Even if your alternator puts out more amps it does not change the amperage demand of the factory headlights or turn signals. You can in theory run the factory wiring for a 16 volt system if the amperage demands haven't changed on the factory items.

That being said use relays on all your electrical high performance items like electric fans, fuel pumps, Nos system, water pump, whatever your using that was not factory installed. If you change to the new style headlights with sealed beam bulbs then use relays on them also.

Think of relays as a way to pass the more amperage to a device via larger wire with minimal amp draw on the switch itself.

The nicest way to wire all the "performance items" on a race car is with spaghetti menders switch panel and relay system. You won't need more than the 5 bay switch system if you use the factory fuse panel for the body items like the headlights and turn signals. Here is a link for them. If these guys are not sponsors they need to be and someone should reach out to them.
http://www.spaghettimenders.com/RCS.html

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I will try to find some pics of my work and post them on here and give you some ideas.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wire guy
Hey man great build. I read through almost every page last night and I don't think anyone responded about your wiring and how to wire the alternator.

I have been wiring race cars and classics for over 15 years. The best way to wire a car with the batter in the trunk is to run a #8 or #6 wire from the alternator directly to the battery using marine type battery terminals with the wing nut on the top. You can also go to the battery side of the master disconnect switch along with the main battery cable. When you shut the master disconnect off it will instantly kill the car and all the electrical components. (I go to the battery with the wing nuts as its easier to disconnect the alternator for any kind of servicing or testing).

As for battery cable bigger is always better and like to use #2 through 2awg. If you have an 18 wheeler supply/parts store in your area you can usually find that size cable on a reel in red for positive and black for negative. Along with red and black heat shrink for the large cable that has the guugh in it that makes it corrosion proof. They will also have all the different cable ends you will need. If you don't have a way to crimp the ends on you can use a propane torch and some large solder and heat the connector up till its glowing in a vice and fill it half full of solder and then insert the stripped cable (careful not to burn yourself).

As far as your factory wiring. If it is in good shape and has not been butchered by radio installers then use it. Remember this amperage demand is what determines the size of the wire. Even if your alternator puts out more amps it does not change the amperage demand of the factory headlights or turn signals. You can in theory run the factory wiring for a 16 volt system if the amperage demands haven't changed on the factory items.

That being said use relays on all your electrical high performance items like electric fans, fuel pumps, Nos system, water pump, whatever your using that was not factory installed. If you change to the new style headlights with sealed beam bulbs then use relays on them also.

Think of relays as a way to pass the more amperage to a device via larger wire with minimal amp draw on the switch itself.

The nicest way to wire all the "performance items" on a race car is with spaghetti menders switch panel and relay system. You won't need more than the 5 bay switch system if you use the factory fuse panel for the body items like the headlights and turn signals. Here is a link for them. If these guys are not sponsors they need to be and someone should reach out to them.
http://www.spaghettimenders.com/RCS.html

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I will try to find some pics of my work and post them on here and give you some ideas.
Thanks a lot for all the great info! It's funny that this reply would come now because I've just had a shift in my plans, so this information really couldn't come at a much better time. Saturday while I was in the garage I started looking at how I was going to route some of my wiring and generally planning that stuff out. The more I looked at it, the more I realized that I'm a damn fool if I don't get this engine fired up and "happy" before I reassemble the front end and take it for paint. So, I've ordered up a huge list of parts to get this baby fired up, and wiring looks to be job number one.....so thanks again for the advice. I've already built a switch panel that I'll put some pics of up later. But it basically consists of six 30-amp rated switches for the following: Ign kill, fuel pump, fans, water pump, bottle warmer, and N2O arm. The last three are all for future use as I don't yet have an electric water pump or N2O kit. The fuel pump, fans, and eventually water pump and N2O stuff will definately all be relay operated.

So in other project news my chassis guy, Clay, called me Sunday morning and say that he had made a mistake on my roll bar. Apparently this was the first 6-point he had done. He typically does at least full 8.5 cert cages, and usually up to 25.5 cars, I think. Anyway, he mistakenly thought that a 6-point could use 1 5/8 tube so long as it was chromoly, so that is what my bar was built out of. I feel pretty stupid about this too because I KNEW it had to be 1 3/4, but short of actually measuring the tube myself, I just took it for granted that he used the correct tube size. I know guys that work around this stuff every day would have picked right up on it, but not me I guess. The only thing that caught my eye was that the cross bar behind the seats was the same diameter as the rest of the bars, so I kinda wondered why he didn't use the 1 5/8 tube there. But I didn't comment on it like I should have because I was just so happy with how everything else looked. I guess maybe I just didn't want to find anything wrong at that point?

Anyway, he called me immediately upon realizing his mistake and is determined to make things right with me. He is three hours away from me, so he even wants to pay for my gasoline to trailer the car back to him. From there, he has offered these two solutions:

1. He cuts everything back out of the car and builds a new 6-point out of the proper 1 3/4 tube.

OR

2. He adds a halo and front bars to what I already have to make it a full cage so that the entire thing being built out of 1 5/8 tube will be pefectly legal.

I think I'm going to go with the full cage option, so I'm taking the car back up to him this Friday to drop it off again. Once again, I just want to repeat that this is in no way meant to bash Clay or his work. On the contrary, I think it shows that he's a stand up guy! I am only posting this because I have a build thread going on here and on another site and it would otherwise be kinda hard to explain how my six-point roll bar became an a full cage overnight.....LOL. More to follow. Hopefully sometime within the next month or so I'll be posting an open header start up vid!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Default role cage

Your welcome I'm glad my advice was useful. I agree it sounds like that guy is stand up and I would go with more cage as long as he keeps it tight like the rest of the cage and takes the front down bars through the dash and not around it and the dash bar behind the dash then you will have plenty of room inside the cockpit. If the guy is really good he can make the window net mounts at the same time that make it easy to remove the entire net for street driving. I would go ahead and get it certified cause it won't take long to get this car in the 9's with a nice speedtech plate kit. If you haven't bought a carb yet Pro Systems new SV 1 is the most street able carb I have ever used and Patrick is a great guy.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

My progress has been ALL OVER the place since last weekend, which I suppose is OK as long as it’s all forward progress. But since it’s all been so random, I figured I had better update this before I forget what all has happened. So this stuff probably won’t be necessarily in the order I did it. Instead, I’ll try and list stuff by category.

Air and Fuel System: Since I decided to get the motor running before I reassemble the front end and take the car for paint, I reinstalled the fuel cell last weekend. This wasn’t a big job since I had already test fit it, but the last time I didn’t install the vent tube. So this time I just needed to drill the hole for it, install a grommet, and put the vent tube in.

Name:  P1060052.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  112.6 KB
Name:  P1060054.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  112.0 KB
Name:  P1060055.jpg
Size:  133.5 KB

I also wanted to add a brace of some sort to my fuel filter. It’s a Summit billet filter that is 1 ¾ diameter. Try as I may, I just couldn’t find a true fuel filter bracket for this thing in the proper diameter. So instead, I bought an 1 ¾ roll bar accessory bracket. Since it’s intended for mounting an accessory on a tube with a ¼ inch bolt, I built a simple spacer and ran a ¼ inch bolt down through the trunk pan and into the bracket. It worked out pretty well. Just don’t mind all the dust down there……

Name:  P1060056.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  132.2 KB

Both the injected and carb’d versions of Edelbrock Victor Jr. LSX intakes share the same casting, so both versions leave the injector bosses protruding into the intake runners.

Name:  IMG_6890.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  101.4 KB

Well, that just won’t do, so I spent some quality time with the Dremel tool this weekend. I might not have done the best job on them, but I certainly didn’t make them flow any worse.

Name:  IMG_6897.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  111.5 KB
Name:  IMG_6898.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  113.6 KB
Name:  IMG_6899.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  81.2 KB
Name:  IMG_6900.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  92.9 KB

I’m not sure, but I think something is missing here……..Oh yeah…..a carb. Well, I ordered up a new 4150 from Prosystems on Monday. It should be here later this week!

Name:  IMG_6904.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  89.8 KB
Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cooling: I’m still working on a solution for a radiator, but for now I got this Moroso coolant overflow tank. It may be a bit overkill, but I wanted a re-circulating cooling system. I can’t install it yet since I dropped the car back at the chassis shop yesterday, but for today I installed the fittings with teflon tape.

Name:  IMG_6910.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  69.7 KB

Transmission: Again, couldn’t do any installing, but since all the braided lines and fittings for my transmission lines came in my Summit order, I figured I could get ahead of the game by at least installing the -6 fittings in my B&M Super Cooler.

Name:  IMG_6909.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  130.2 KB

I also couldn’t resist playing around with my new Pro Stick. Since my TH400 has a reverse pattern manual valve body, I went ahead and swapped out the forward pattern gate plate for a reverse pattern plate. I also installed the neutral safety switch, but I still need to pick up an additional micro switch for the back up lights. No pics of that stuff, but here’s the shifter.

Name:  IMG_6911.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  79.9 KB

Electrical: Oh, speaking of back up lights, I modified a spare back up light lens like this…..

Name:  IMG_6912.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  112.7 KB

……to use for my master disconnect switch like this. This obviously isn’t done yet. I still need to have a couple thin aluminum or stainless discs cut out to actually mound the switch it, but this gives you the basic idea.

Name:  IMG_6914.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  110.7 KB

I had seen this done before and I really liked the idea. It saves me from putting yet another hole in the sheet metal of the car and I can still swap in the original lens for things like safety inspections. I also got a Taylor battery relocation kit from Summit this week, but I’ll take pics of that once it’s installed.

I also built a switch panel last weekend. Well, actually my good friend Dan cut the plate out for me a couple months ago, but last weekend I drilled the holes and installed the switches. This panel will be installed in the radio location.

Name:  P1060058.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  101.3 KB
Name:  P1060062.jpg
Size:  112.3 KB

Sheetmetal: As bad as the sheet metal work sucks, it isn’t gonna get done on it’s own. So, since I had some time left today, I got a few things done with it too. First was an easy job. One of my fenders was missing a weld nut where the inner fender attaches.

Name:  IMG_6915.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  80.9 KB

Another board member was nice enough to pop one out of a junk fender and send it to me. So today I cleaned it up with a wire wheel, popped it in place, and put a few tacks on the back of it to make sure it’s not going anywhere.

Name:  IMG_6917.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  52.2 KB

Finally, I broke out some POR-15 and coated the back side of my lower valance, as well as the surfaces where it mates together with the upper valance. I’ll probably scuff this stuff up and hit it again with epoxy when I do the front side of the panel, but I really like how the POR-15 seems to creep into every little crevice, so I wanted to POR it first. I plan to give the backsides of the upper valance and both fenders the same treatment when there time comes.

Name:  IMG_6918.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  106.0 KB

I think that brings me up to date for now, but the long weekend isn’t over yet. Hopefully I can get some more stuff done, even with the car not here. I think there’s still some panels out there that need work…….
Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work and a lot of it. Your port work should help out considerably. The attention to details is amazing!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Great work and a lot of it. Your port work should help out considerably. The attention to details is amazing!!
Thanks! I didn't get too much more done this weekend. But, I did get the back side of my upper valance blasted and I started stripping the first couple coats of paint off of one fender...nothing to photo-worthy. Probably wont get much done next weekend because I've got some stuff to do around the house on Saturday and I'm going to the NASCAR race plus picking my car up from the chassis shop on Sunday.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering if you were planning on doing anything about the heater hoses resting on the upper a-arm? I'm building a shield for mine.

Quick Reply: 1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap