Sponsored by:

wiring help and a plug wire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default wiring help and a plug wire question

Hello,

I have some street and performance headers. My plug wires are in contact with the headers. I am assuming I need another type of plug wires. Is this correct?

Also, I have a 2002 LS1 from a Pontiac Firebird. Came with the wiring harness. All remained connected. I have a couple connectors that I do not know what get connected to.

These are the two positive leads that come from the battery. The one should go to the alternator. What does the other go to? There is another wire from the battery to the starter, so it is not the starter wire.

These two are near the alternator wiring. The alternator was originally on the bottom of the car and I needed to put a corvette accessory setup for the clearance. The square one (in my finger) would go to the o2 sensor. Not sure what the other would go to.

Top view of same connectors.

These are the two connectors that go through the firewall. I know they connect under the dash, but what do they connect to?

This connector is next to the transmission shifter. I am guessing it is an o2 sensor.

Connector on the end of the shifter. Guessing the other o2 sensor.

Connector near the starter wires. Guessing another o2 sensor. Not sure what the three wires go to. They were cut off.

Four connectors closest to the computer. None seem to be anything I recognize.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

figured out second one, temp sensor.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Cables:
Fuseblock

Near alt:
99-02 CTS
HO2

Dash connectors:
Pretty much all of your gauge wiring and a few others

Trans:
HO2

Trans:
HO2

Cut wires:
HO2, cut wires are crank sensor

Fender connectors:
All your fuses and other neccessary hookups are in these and the dash connectors. About the only easy to ID one if the starter solenoid wire (ppl)

As it sits that harness wont run anything, you need to atleast ID and send 12v where it needs it. Since its just the engine harness, you have no fuses, no relays and no good starting point. For a trouble free swap, Id suggest reworking the harness to your specific needs or buying a stand alone setup
Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. In my late night insomnia I found a photo here of a harness with the connectors marked out. My info was the same as you gave me, so this is a good thing or we both dont know what we are doing .

I am thinking of getting the car part of a harness from a donor car of the same kind. My car is frame off with nothing wired. If I get lucky, I may have enough length to go to the ignition and gauges from the stock one for the same year. I should then be able to plug my harness into the fuse block and get an ignition and then at least be able to run this.

Should I not be able to just get the ECM reprogrammed and leave the not needed connectors where they are? I am thinking I can dump two o2 sensors and will need to have it programmed for two fans at least.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Taylor ta2326 are the wires S&P sold me for their headers they are 45 degree so they clear the headers , I also had to change my oil dipstick to clear the headers. There's some pics of the wires in my thread .JOHN
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Launching!

I ordered a set of 45 degree wires from Scott Performance Wire. 62 for the set. seems like a decent price.

I have ground a little off of the dipstick to get it past the header, but am having trouble finding a bolt to fit the hole that will clear the header. Finding a 10mm 1.5 pitch socket head in chrome is easy enough, but not buying 100 of them is a different story. Looks like a poor job by S&P with this one. Header is beautiful, but I am getting the feeling it is a standard LS1 camaro header. The correct bolt so you could keep the stock oil dipstick would be too much common sense. Telling people the stock plug wires will not work would not have killed them either.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post where you found the picture with the lables0 It will definitely help me, and im sure others in the future. Even if its just a link to another thread.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ification.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ification.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...erchanges.html
Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

thanks pocket, beat me to it.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had trouble with the Taylor Wires I had. Even with the Dielectric compound on them, they somehow managed to get stuck on the plugs. I bought some MSD plug wires and bent them to clear with no issues.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah- on the headers , order a set of copper collector gaskets , the ones that come with them will blow out , you are right , they should tell you all the associated problems and other parts that might be needed with their stuff.JOHN
Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the links guys, i will be removing the spare connecters from my harness this weekend so this helps alot!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john 67
Oh yeah- on the headers , order a set of copper collector gaskets , the ones that come with them will blow out , you are right , they should tell you all the associated problems and other parts that might be needed with their stuff.JOHN
+1 Mine blew out maybe a week after I got them. Definitely a worthwhile investment to get not only the copper collector gaskets, but also the copper header gaskets or the stock GM multi-layer exhaust manifold gasket.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Launching!

where would I get the collector gaskets? Are they specific to S&P stuff?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get the collector gaskets from S&P. They run like ~$52 shipped.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Well I got my set of wires from Scott Performance Wires. Nice looking wires and they do not touch the exhaust manifold. Mr Scott was honest and straightforward. Not the typical yes, yes, yes salesman. He told me that the wires may not work and it was on me once they arrived.

Check out the before and after photos..

Quick Reply: wiring help and a plug wire question