Sponsored by:

Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Got a few updates!

Just about got the front end buttoned up. Sway bar installed last week. Still need to install the steering box and steering linkage but that is only minor. Also built the rear with the CPP rear big brake kit. Everything looks great! Pics to come tomorrow.

Also picked up some engine goodies. I sold the original 74mm turbo I had because I believe I need to walk before I run. I picked up another turbo and wastegate combo...67mm turbo which should max out at around 700 hp without IAT issues with a decent intercooler. I am looking for a VERY drivable 600 flywheel horse. Got this baby today:

GMPP intake, Wilson Manifolds fuel rails, Edelbrock 90-deg elbow, injectors, and gaskets for a smokin' deal.

I will eventually upgrade the injectors but for now they will be good to start with.

More to come in the next few days!

Thanks,
Dave
any side views of the intake assembly?
thanks,
JIm
Old 09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing.... nice build.. . i was goin to install a zr1 cam in my ly6.. but i already have a ls3 cam,,and heard the cam is on back order or sumtin like that.. souds like that turbo is a lil small for that motor?.. i plan on a 76mm or bigger..88mm hopefully!!... good luck on the build,,cant wait to see some numbers from that beast.. i got similair setup..
Old 09-04-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
any side views of the intake assembly?
thanks,
JIm
When it gets here this week I will be sure to post up a shot for you.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
subscribing.... nice build.. . i was goin to install a zr1 cam in my ly6.. but i already have a ls3 cam,,and heard the cam is on back order or sumtin like that.. souds like that turbo is a lil small for that motor?.. i plan on a 76mm or bigger..88mm hopefully!!... good luck on the build,,cant wait to see some numbers from that beast.. i got similair setup..
There are a couple places that still have them in stock. They aren't the GMPD price but slightly higher. I am willing to pay that.

The turbo is a little small for all out racing but not for what I want to do with it. It is all about its mapping and what you want to do with it. It will max out at 650 to 700 hp without going to a huge intercooler but will still boost above that. Intake temps will start to go up very quickly after that. This is the first time doing a build like this and I wanted to make sure the turbo wasn't putting out more than what my short block can handle. I know I am a moron, will get greedy and turn that waste gate screw just a little too much. The little too much on the 74mm would demolish the bottom end, being able to support 1000 hp easily. That 67mm should almost "insta-spool" so street driving is gonna be fun!!! Since it is a T4 flange, I can very easily RE-upgrade to a 74 in the future with minimal pipe changes.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good man... im hopeing for 700hp at crank.. is very realistic out of these motors..and a tad bit conservitive.. i may get greeedy and push it more..ive read other stock short blocks are pushed very high numbers and still serviving..hurry up and boost it!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Got a nice update for today.

Here are some pics of everything I have been collecting over the last few weeks.

This is the GM Performance Parts intake with Edelbrock elbow, Wilson fuel rails and LS3 injectors resting on the engine.

Here are the LS3 Rockers:

Timing Cover:

Built 4L60e with Converter and Cooler:

JZ Motorworks Pan:

Also finished assembling the rear brakes and pulled out the old rear...time to start cleaning and painting.

More to come this week!!!

Dave
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build looks awesome man. I've been checking in on it every now and then and it looks like you're moving it right along. Great job!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice!

I see the Retro LSX pan there...
Old 10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Nice!

I see the Retro LSX pan there...
It is the one that Retro LSX sells but I got it directly from JZ Motorworks.

Got an update for today...will have to snap some better pics real soon.

LS9 cam is installed as well as he heads and timing chain (with LS2 cam gear). Waiting on a couple things before I install the valley cover, PRs and rockers. Unfortunately I need to get the front accessory drive (with the balancer) before I can tighten down the timing cover and oil pan.

Waiting on a #10-AN bulkhead fitting for the Oil Pan. This will be my Turbo's return port. Want to get the accessory drive somewhat mocked up before I commit to where I am placing this thing. Want to make sure that there is sufficient clearance and as straight a shot for the drain back off the turbo.

Also received the Hotchkis tie rods and centerlink and am still waiting on my damn GM600 box from an Ebay vendor...when will I ever learn!?!

Ground down the rear UCA from BMR to work on the 12 Bolt...pretty typical so I wasn't surprised. Trying to get the rear installed by next weekend because I have a feeling I will be a little tied up...

GETTING MARRIED!!!!!

More to come dudes!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

love it! Can't wait to see more !
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Man it has been a while since I posted updates on this build. A lot has happened since my last post. I have decided to stick with the NA build and follow a more "retro-touring" look or the car. I will be using EZ-EFI to fuel her and hiding her under a repro W-30 air cleaner.

Here's some photos of the progress. orry for the mess. Trying to slowly throw things away I don't need...but I generally hold on to them until the last possible minute just in case I need it.

Anyway, on to the pics!

Here's a shot of the front suspension with complete steering...only thing left is to install the shocks...which I did actually finish yesterday.

Complete Long block sans valve covers...kinda had an issue with the ones I got...they were misrepresented and I did not get better pics...oh well.

Without valve covers:

With Driver's cover...passenger doesn't fit:

Edelbrock adapters with PST mounts:

Rear suspension installed minus sway bar - 12" rear brakes:

Underside of trunk pan...going with trunk mounted fuel cell. I figure I will be eventually upping the power and needing a roll bar...plus it leaves me room for an additional set of muffs and easy fuel pump routing underneath - especially if I go E85 I can fit dual pumps with no issue. I also have room for the trans cooler back there.

Another front shot:

And Bilstein shocks:

Definitely a lot more to come this week. I should be getting my GMPP front accessory drive from Pace, as well as my EX EFI from Jake (JRS) and my Stainless Valve Covers which I purchased tonight. Also not pictured is my MSD 6012 box and harness.

This is what I am going for under the hood...just a lot less cluttered:

I'm still all screwed up on wheel sizes at the moment as well as color. I am torn between Victory Red...(red rocket...duh) or BMW Sparkling Graphite Metallic with semi-gloss bumpers, trim, etc... I really think that will look sinister.

See next post for today's updates!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

And for today's updates...

Finished buttoning up the bottom end and front cover...still waiting on my accessory drive from Pace Performance...its a very popular item so they are a little backordered.

Installed the new valve covers and coils as well as the Pacesetter Headers that I will be modding slightly for my build. Should work nicely.

Also made a sweet purchase from Luke Mau of L&H Kustoms - a complete Vaporworx tank pump and regulator set-up!!! I am VERY STOKED about this one as I plan of upping the power in the near future and won't have to do a darn thing to the fuel system.

On to the pics!

Different lighting shot:

Shot from behind:

No shots of the tank for a few more weeks. EZ-EFI should be here this week. More pics to come!!! Thanks!

Dave
Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sick build!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

lookin good dave. what happened to the turbo?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by '02TA
Sick build!!!!
Thanks man...I really appreciate it!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

looking good
Old 03-09-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nunan0219
lookin good dave. what happened to the turbo?
I pushed it out in the build a little bit. I knew I would need to put a cage in the car which I am being a bit of a wuss about but that car is just too nice inside to cut......just yet.

I also have never played with turbos before so I am building a separate set-up in my '84 Cutlass (my former race car). It is caged and ready to rock and since the T66 I have just got a twin sister the other day, I want to make sure I know what I am doing when I am capable of making 1400 horse...lol.

That set-up and the intake shown earlier in the thread will go on that long block. I want to iron it out before I pull the trigger.

The current EZ-EFI'd set-up should be ample for 11s out of the gate. I plan to drive her to the track...rip a few 11s...then drive home.

In summation, I'm just being a pu$$y and don't feel I am ready for turbos just yet...lol. Hey, at least I'm honest!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car man. Have to love the older cars, things are so open and easy. The car practically puts itself together.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrPotatoeHead
Beautiful car man. Have to love the older cars, things are so open and easy. The car practically puts itself together.
Without a doubt. I love the fact I don't have to worry about emissions but the thing gets 20+ to the gallon and runs 11s with virtually no effort.

After I drove my '06 GTO for the first time I fell in love. Then I did a full build up on my '78 TA and it was amazing...just a natural progression to the A-bodies.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Few updates for today. Got the EZ EFI on Thursday...very excited!!!! Also got the engine and trans stabbed in for the first of many times this weekend. The PST urethane mounts are a real PITA to work with not to mention I have to trim some metal off the top of the 4L60e. Is there any other A-body guys out there that had that issue as well? I will take some pics of had to do tomorrow after it is done. I believe they are panhard bar mounts for the 4th Gen Fbody as that is what I got it from....what a pain in the ****.

Anyway, a pleasant surprise, 4th Gen Fbody headers will work well in an A body. I will have to redirect the pipe once out of the header but no big deal.

Enjoy the pics.

Thanks!
Dave

Quick Reply: Project: Red Rocket Olds - S475 Turbo'd LY6/4L60e